“Excellent pre/post cruise/flight hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Playa Del Rey, CA
“Excellent pre/post cruise/flight hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly with a great fitness room. My room was roomy with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a kitchen sink with a filtered drinking water tap. They even provide dish-washing soap so I can wash my gym water bottle! We stayed overnight post-cruise before flying home. Location was nowhere within walking distance of restaurants/entertainment but under 10 miles of cruise port and less than 3 miles to airport - very convenient for the cruise passenger! I love a hot breakfast in the morning with a cafe latte, all included! Oh - and the body wash/shampoo dispenser in the shower...nice! Modern and chic decor.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Cartin, Starwood hotels at Element Miami International Airport, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Robert M. We are excited to hear you had a good stay at our hotel and enjoyed the friendly staff, fitness room, and spacious guestroom. Again, thank you for your review.

542 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was one of the Starwood properties my business partner and I sampled while at the CruiseWorld 2013 conference in Florida. We were excited to try the Element brand, considering it is the new trendy, go-green, eco-conscious hotel brand.

No doubt, this hotel has some great aspects to note, however, there are quite a few negative points about it. For business travelers, this hotel is great--it is within walking distance to a train station hub and the Miami International Airport. There is a free shuttle. But leisure travelers, BEWARE:

CONs:
1) Terrible location. DO NOT veer off the major highways to get to this hotel in the event you hit the bad Miami/South Florida traffic on the main roadways. Deal with the highway traffic jams! We figured we'd avoid the highway traffic and once arriving to the hotel, we are lucky to still be alive. As for the particular hotel location, the entire property is gated and within a large industrial area near the airport.

2) Polite but very unaccommodating staff: When we checked in, we asked for information on dining locations nearby that "we wouldn't get shot getting to." The friendly young guy behind the counter said "there are places in the area." Well, yeah obviously, but we're from out of town and that wasn't a help to the question. So we asked further, naming a couple specific chain names, and he gave us a paper with places in the area, but it didn't have much information on it. So, without the counter staff's guidance we said thank you and just resorted to our smartphones for info. When we got to our room, we saw there was a king bed despite my noted preference when booking that I wanted 2 double beds. When we called the front desk, they said there were no other rooms available...which was nonsense because most of the parking lot was empty. If they didn't want to help, they should have just said no rather than tell me a ridiculous bold faced lie like I was born yesterday. HOWEVER, one redeeming note here--I called for extra bedding to use on the pull-out couch and it was immediately delivered to our room.

3) $9 flat rate, across the board parking fee. Really!? Even for SPG and Starwood Pro members?!?!

PROs:
1) Brand new hotel, very clean. There is a great outdoor pool complex in the back of the hotel on the lake. It has a fire ring, a pool with beautiful cement work, and sun-powered lights illuminating the pool, with plenty of places to sit.

2) Breakfast at this hotel is pretty decent, even if you are a vegan/strict vegetarian. There is coffee, orange juice, yogurt, cereal bar, breakfast sandwiches, and my favorite of the morning: a delicious mango strawberry smoothie. The smoothie made up for my aggravation over the parking fee!

3) The room had a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge, stove, sink, plates, silverware, etc. The hotel even offered a grocery/shopping service where you can make a list and it would be delivered to your room (with a service charge).

4) Shuttle service: We took the shuttle to the other Starwood property in the area since we didn't want to drive our own car around. We took it to the Sheraton Airport hotel to eat at the restaurant in it called the Richenbacher, since there were no dining options other than a little pantry store at the Element. When we were done, we called the Element for a pick up and we didn't wait long for it.

Summary: Business travelers--stay here. Leisure travelers--stay away.

Room Tip: There is really no better or worse room location here. The hotel is right by the airport so planes r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were on our way to the Keys, and stayed in Miami for a day in order to check out the scenery. The hotel is bit far from the epicenter of Miami Beach, but what it lacks in location it makes up for in service, overall appointment, and price. We were renting a car to drive to the Keys, so it was a short drive from the airport to the hotel, aiding the location-aspect. The room was exactly what you need, and far exceeded my expectations. In the king-bed room we had full size kitchenette, complete with ceramic mugs, plates, silverware, cooking equipment, a full-size fridge and stove, and a dishwasher. This would be a truly great long-term stay, since I didn't want to leave! I (secretly/openly?) wished it was my apartment. I also loved how they saved space by having a pocket door to the bedroom. The king bed was luxurious and I had no trouble falling asleep. Bathroom was stylishly appointed and had everything we needed, except for maybe a bathtub. The evening reception also a great bonus (M-Thr. 5-7pm); it included free beer and wine and basically what could be parlayed into dinner, which helped us save money on dinner that night. Free food tastes the best! The breakfast bar also had an espresso/latte/cappuccino machine - so delicious!

Room Tip: to get a great view of the sunrise, have a southward-facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Excellent space and quality for long term stay. Location is not its best as it is not close to the city and its attractions but it is 10 min away by car. If you forget about the location, everything else was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Its great to hear you liked our space and found it good for long term stays. We appreciate the feedback on the location but we do hope to see you again at the Element Miami International Airport hotel.
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Hotel is near the airport, they have a 24hrs shuttle. Dino, the driver told me that they had a Barbecue/happy hour from 5-7pm. Burgers, hot dogs, beer and wine for free - unbelievable. The hotel is a bit young and stylish, very friendly staff. The room was a little studio, with kitchenette, bathroom was good, nice shower. The fitness room looked well equipped.

I had reserved through hotwire, 78€ for the night. Great value, if you consider the free happy hour. Without the burgers I would have starved because there is no restaurant and no shop around

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was not expecting how nice the hotel was, the lobby was amazing; that's what gave me a good first impression! I also appreciated that it is a non-smoking hotel, though the smoking area outside should be further away from the front entryway. The room wasn't as big as I expected but it was still beautiful with a view of the lake (I would have been disappointed if the room was facing the front of the building). The breakfast … well wasn’t amazing, but certainly better than just a continental breakfast.
Cons: The location. It is in the middle of an area that is undergoing construction and nothing nearby within walking distance. At least the hotel does provide a free shuttle service anywhere within a 3 mile radius; which is a good thing, because if you do not have a vehicle, a taxi would be expensive.
Only problem that occur was the complimentary wireless did not work in the room and I had to go to the lobby to do work.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ALL OVER THE WORLD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked this hotel through a Priceline Secret Hotel deal and got a great price.
I was overnighting in Miami before a morning flight and just needed somewhere to rest my head.

I really didn't have many negatives at all from my stay. I do agree with an earlier reviewer that from the outside, the property does look a little like a low security prison. The building exterior is very plain, which normally would just look cool, but the fact it is in a semi-industrial area with 8 foot metal fencing with sliding gates to access the property just gives a gloomy first impression. I also arrived after dark and the street the hotel is on is poorly lit and rather grim. As my GPS unit directed me onto the street, I thought that my device had messed up, as there is no way a hotel could be here, on a dark, narrow back street facing semi-industrial units, but there it is.

In the daylight the next morning, the location looked a little better, just a little. Then you realize HOW convenient the location is. The rental car center is at the end of the street, literally a 2 minute drive. Bonus points for that.

It is an airport hotel, not a Mexican beach resort.

Check in was fast, although the check in clerk really didn't converse much with me, just giving me the keys and pointing me to the elevator. I am not needy, but I am used to being asked if I need a wake up call and having the free breakfast and how to access the internet explained. Not a big deal. I was asked to fill in a registration card for my vehicle parked in the outdoor lot... I have no idea if there was a charge for parking or not.

behind reception is a small store, selling snack foods. It was very overpriced, $3 for a small bottle of soda. They do have a freezer with microwave meals in for purchase, but the selection was very poor. I arrived after the free buffet at night and there were no other food options and no food outlets local to the hotel.

The room was great. Oversized, small kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and basic utensils. Enough to get by. The decor of the room was nice, very modern. You could definitely see that it was a Starwood property. I recently stayed in an Aloft and some of the fittings were identical.

I would say there Starwood has three children. W Hotels is the Reality TV Star. All about the looks, image and exclusivity. Aloft is the wannabe hipster and then Element is the Yuppie business man. There is a good connectivity between these three brands. If you don't like the new modern style of hotel, you will likely not enjoy element.

The bed was WONDERFUL. Nice and soft. The pillows were a little soft for my liking, but OK. Internet was free and no access code was needed, so you could connect multiple devices. The speed was OK, but not lightening fast. But totally acceptable for free hotel wifi.

The bathroom was great. HUGE shower with nice Kohler fittings. Enough room in the shower for three people if the urge took you!

There were two packets of earplugs on the nightstand along with a note explaining that this is an airport hotel and as such, you should expect jet noise. And you got jet noise! I am not a light sleeper though so it did not affect my night at all.

The only one negative with the room was the fridge was VERY noisy, every half an hour or so it would shudder and make a high-pitched noise. I forgot to mention this at check out. (Room 555 if the hotel is reading this).

I would advise odd numbered rooms, such as mine, as they have a partial lake view and they overlook the hotel's terrace and pool. Nicer than the street view from even numbered rooms.

The free breakfast was very impressive. Toast, bagels and muffins, a couple of different kinds of breakfast burritios, danish pastries, juices and coffee (Although the coffee was undrinkably strong). It was a great start to my day of travel. Kudos to Element for that. Considerably better than any other free hotel breakfast I have had anywhere.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would not hesitate to use the Element brand again, but I understand why it may not appeal to some.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room to overlook the pool and lake. Some rooms could be a long walk from the ele...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Element Miami International Airport? Share your experiences!