“Great overnight stay by MIA” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #26 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
ALL OVER THE WORLD
“Great overnight stay by MIA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked this hotel through a Priceline Secret Hotel deal and got a great price.
I was overnighting in Miami before a morning flight and just needed somewhere to rest my head.

I really didn't have many negatives at all from my stay. I do agree with an earlier reviewer that from the outside, the property does look a little like a low security prison. The building exterior is very plain, which normally would just look cool, but the fact it is in a semi-industrial area with 8 foot metal fencing with sliding gates to access the property just gives a gloomy first impression. I also arrived after dark and the street the hotel is on is poorly lit and rather grim. As my GPS unit directed me onto the street, I thought that my device had messed up, as there is no way a hotel could be here, on a dark, narrow back street facing semi-industrial units, but there it is.

In the daylight the next morning, the location looked a little better, just a little. Then you realize HOW convenient the location is. The rental car center is at the end of the street, literally a 2 minute drive. Bonus points for that.

It is an airport hotel, not a Mexican beach resort.

Check in was fast, although the check in clerk really didn't converse much with me, just giving me the keys and pointing me to the elevator. I am not needy, but I am used to being asked if I need a wake up call and having the free breakfast and how to access the internet explained. Not a big deal. I was asked to fill in a registration card for my vehicle parked in the outdoor lot... I have no idea if there was a charge for parking or not.

behind reception is a small store, selling snack foods. It was very overpriced, $3 for a small bottle of soda. They do have a freezer with microwave meals in for purchase, but the selection was very poor. I arrived after the free buffet at night and there were no other food options and no food outlets local to the hotel.

The room was great. Oversized, small kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and basic utensils. Enough to get by. The decor of the room was nice, very modern. You could definitely see that it was a Starwood property. I recently stayed in an Aloft and some of the fittings were identical.

I would say there Starwood has three children. W Hotels is the Reality TV Star. All about the looks, image and exclusivity. Aloft is the wannabe hipster and then Element is the Yuppie business man. There is a good connectivity between these three brands. If you don't like the new modern style of hotel, you will likely not enjoy element.

The bed was WONDERFUL. Nice and soft. The pillows were a little soft for my liking, but OK. Internet was free and no access code was needed, so you could connect multiple devices. The speed was OK, but not lightening fast. But totally acceptable for free hotel wifi.

The bathroom was great. HUGE shower with nice Kohler fittings. Enough room in the shower for three people if the urge took you!

There were two packets of earplugs on the nightstand along with a note explaining that this is an airport hotel and as such, you should expect jet noise. And you got jet noise! I am not a light sleeper though so it did not affect my night at all.

The only one negative with the room was the fridge was VERY noisy, every half an hour or so it would shudder and make a high-pitched noise. I forgot to mention this at check out. (Room 555 if the hotel is reading this).

I would advise odd numbered rooms, such as mine, as they have a partial lake view and they overlook the hotel's terrace and pool. Nicer than the street view from even numbered rooms.

The free breakfast was very impressive. Toast, bagels and muffins, a couple of different kinds of breakfast burritios, danish pastries, juices and coffee (Although the coffee was undrinkably strong). It was a great start to my day of travel. Kudos to Element for that. Considerably better than any other free hotel breakfast I have had anywhere.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would not hesitate to use the Element brand again, but I understand why it may not appeal to some.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room to overlook the pool and lake. Some rooms could be a long walk from the ele...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

just about everything starwood brand does is good, including the layout and interior especially the bathrooms of this hotel. Pretty good hamburgers and hotdogs for free happy hour. Staff and shuttle are very attentive and prompt although some hotel stuff do not speak English. it may be 15 or 20 dollars higher than some other hotels but if you're looking for new nice clean an innovative free breakfast and happy hour this is the place. Ask for the rooms the overlook the pool and lake

• Stayed November 2013
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We usually have to do a layover in Miami on our way to/from the Caribbean and have tried several hotels in the airport area.

The interior design is very contemporary and modern but comfortable. The rooms look like showrooms at Ikea. The rooms aren't huge but are very conveniently and smartly laid out and designed. I used to have to stay for long periods (months at a time) in extended stay hotels for work and I WISH this chain had existed back then...I would have loved to say in one of these rooms instead.

The staff was friendly and responsive. The morning breakfast - which is included - was not only better than most complimentary breakfasts but unique - not the standard scrambled eggs and bacon in warming pans.

If I had any criticism of the hotel it would be that it's in a kind of industrial area without any stores or restaurants within walking distance - but the shuttles that take you to/from the airport will also take you to/from restaurants. Another positive is that the hotel is about a mile from a new major bus terminal where you can catch a bus to Lincoln Road or South Beach every 30 minutes for only 2 hours for only $2.00 each way.

Another positive is that although this hotel is very lose to the airport, we didn't have any issues with noise once we were in our room.

This will be the place we stay in Miami when we have to overnight there for all future trips!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at the Element Miami International Airport the night before our cruse. It was a clean new hotel but not our type of place. The décor is very modern and the room just had a cold feeling to it. Odd colors and not bright at all and the ultra modern look. The pool area was ok, but not the resort style pool that they advertise on their website. The staff was very helpful and took care of everything we needed. They offer a free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel which was nice because the hotel does not have a bar or restaurant or anything within walking distance. Found it kind of odd that the shuttle driver seemed to of stopped and picked up a couple of his friends on the return trip. If you like the modern look then this place may be for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I like staying at this hotel for me it is convenience the shuttle bus takes me to the airport when I can get the bus or the train to go downtown Miami and they pick up when you arrive back at the airport anytime just have to make a phone to the front desk, I don't need to rent a car when I get this convenience from this hotel I stay here a few times never had a problem

Room Tip: no tip I can gave all the rooms I ever had has been good
Green Features: That is why this hotel color is green they are a environmentally friendly hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a good hotel for an overnight layover near Miami's International Airport. The place is very clean, and the rooms are surprisingly-upscale in view of the rates. Frequent shuttle-bus transportation to and from the Airport is also convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here knowing it was by the airport and a little out of the loop for South Beach and Miami goings on, but we experienced some problems during our stay. First off, the hotel is modern and the rooms are as well. Plus. The first room we got seemed fine and we were all settled in until we found out that the deadbolt wouldn't lock on the door. Weird, so we called the front desk and they sent a maintenance guy up pretty quickly but he spoke almost no english (I mean we're in Miami, but still..) and he after 3 or four attempts of him getting tools, coming in and out he said it couldn't be fixed that night as he had to drill the door and it would be too loud so we had to switch rooms. I mean how could the others staying in this room have not noticed this issue before, this kinda of thing just doesn't happen. Probably wasn't working for a long time. So they gave a us a room down the hall. It was hot as hell. They said "Oh that's our eco system where the room will only get cool if you're in it." I said well this room was cool when we got in it? Then they made us move to another floor on the TOTAL opposite side of the hotel and granted it was a larger room, but it was the original sized room I had booked online so we were really only getting what we had reserved to begin with. I had noticed something else weird which was that the back entrance door to the building was left open or ajar. I thought it was because someone was cleaning the hallway only to find out the next day when I mentioned it at checkout that it was an issue they knew about and that it wouldn't close! Um, a dead deadbolt and an open door to the back does not make me feel safe in the industrial neighborhood this is in. They gave us a parking credit after I pushed them and asked if there was anything they could do for all our trouble. Big deal. Bottom line, rooms were decent, security sucks, breakfast looked ok if you're not vegan (which I am).

Room Tip: We didn't hear any planes so I guess any room is fine.
Green Features: I like that they're trying to be green, but I would place more of an emphasis on guest safety.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Element Miami International Airport? Share your experiences!