“Long layover in MIA” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rio de Janeiro
“Long layover in MIA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had an 8 hour layover at MIA and decided to sleep a little in a hotel around the airport. Priceline chose this hotel for me and I was pleasantly surprised.
It is brand new, the room is excellent and it is very close to the airport. Even the service was great as I took the hotel shuttle to the airport when I needed it and not when it was scheduled.
Next time I have a long layover at MIA I will choose this hotel to sleep (hopefully at Priceline prices).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel right at the airport area. Airplane fly really really close at takeoff.
If you like New Hotel and SPG reward points. This could be good for you.
However, the hotel is situated far from Restaurant or public transportation.

Either you drive a car, or have the shuttle takes you place nearby.
The shuttle is quite good, they take you everywhere nearby. The shuttle bus is ready whenever the driver is there. However, they don't shuttle 24hours a day. They start at 5am until 11pm.
But there is airport taxi that will run you 10$ for bringing you there to the hotel.

The breakfast is free. But don't expect anything fancy, except for the Latte/Espresso/Cappuccino machine they have. It's running 24hr a day, free!

There's a lot of room at this hotel. And the corridor is very very long. If they had booked you in rooms of small numbers, you will be end up 50meters/ or 30 second walk from the elevator. Make sure you ask for a "Large number room #" Like 239, 333, 440, not 201 or 302.

The outside terrace is very nice indeed. They have a fireplace next to the pool.
The pool was open at my 3rd / 6 days stay. Didn't try if they water is salted or not. But the pool opens 6am to dawn. There's no restaurant at this hotel. The parking was free at our stay. The car rental is NOT within walkable distance. Ask the shuttle driver to take you there for free.

Noise wasn't an issue for me, if you close the window. But my wife complain about it at night. Probably i was very tired everynight.

A nice plus, the standard room has Kitchen!! The kitchen is fully equipped. Cutlery, knifes, pots, toaster, microwave, fridge, can opener, tap water filter came standard at our room.
The room entrance has engineering wood floor, which is pretty nice. Carpet at the bed side.

However, I don't like that they don't give bottle soap or shampoo. The quality is bad. Also, at our first night, there was a opened soap on the dishes with a hair on it!!! DISGUSTING!!
The bathroom is quite nice, but the staff told me there are no bathtub in any room.

Room Tip: Choose a Large Number room#. Else it will take you a very long walk from the elevator. Odd room num...
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The team at the new Element hotel near the Miami Airport is doing a fabulous job having been open for just a month. My hotel room was clean, the breakfast had great options and everyone from the Engineer to Front Desk was so accommodating to any request. I utlized the lobby on several occassions catching up on work and meeting friends. The shuttle driver helped us navigate getting a rental car since we had some extra time to go to the beach and do some shopping. I felt very safe and pleased with this new hotel. My room was at the front of the building so I didn't hear any airport noise. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Stay in front of hotel.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Sure there is some plane noise but not anymore than most Miami airport hotels, I stay in hotels 30 weeks a year and would love to take this place with me at all times. Great room and ammenities and sure its new and staff are learning but they do it with a smile on there face and nothing is too much trouble to any of them. Look forward to staying there again on my return to Miami.

London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Brand new hotel that's very modern, clean and nice. My wife and I stayed only one night and thank goodness we didn't stay longer. Someone must have made a huge mistake in researching this land before they built because this hotel is built directly underneath the path of one of the take off runways for the airport! We couldn't sleep well at all. Planes taking off up to around midnight and starting frequently at 6am. Sure hotels around the airports are noisy but this felt like I'm sitting directly on the runway during takeoff.

If it wasn't for this one important thing I would rate 4 stars. Staff is courteous, but a bit frazzled at the front desk. Only two people working at the desk. Super clean hotel as its new. Rooms are a good size and great. Bathrooms very nice and large with good shower. No restaurant on site and nothing in walking distance. There is a shuttle that takes you to a restaurant around the area.

Wifi wasn't working for iPads. Also I think the staff are new to Starwood so I didn't get any acknowledgement for being a gold member, nothing in my room and forget about the priority line at the front desk for members. With only two staff, it's either packed when a new wave of customers come in, priority goes out the window or no one is there and priority doesnt matter at that point.

Overall, not up to the standards you expect from the Westin or Starwood brands.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Hotel only had been open 1-week prior to my stay and the staff was of most friendly

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the night before our flight out of Miami International Airport. The hotel is located just down the street from the giant rental car return facility. This made our final day a breeze - we were returning our car within five minutes of checking out of the hotel.

As other reviews have noted, this hotel just opened and it shows. Everything is new - including the staff who were very helpful but not quite polished yet. We would have liked to have spent our last afternoon by the pool but it was not yet open.

Rooms were of a decent size with comfortable beds. Our room was a studio - it had a kitchenette with a small refrigerator and stove. The bathroom had a full size shower but no tub.

The hotel is on a quiet street in a mainly industrial area. The hotel does sit beneath the flight path for planes using the airport. I noticed a little bit of jet engine noise while in the room, but it was not distracting and I had no problems falling asleep. I did not hear any noise from the hallways.

All in all, I'd recommend staying here - especially if you have a rental car to return before your flight.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple