“Marriot experience not Ritz Carlton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

You added The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 SW 27th Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Marriot experience not Ritz Carlton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This property has a nice feel to it, it is not very uptight like most Ritz Carlton’s and overall the staff is helpful. With that said, the managers are nowhere to be found. My husband and I had some complaints due to the construction going on in the hotel which were not advised to us by the staff. We asked to speak to a manager and no one knew the where about of those individuals. We had Spa treatments as part of our American express packages and had great services with a gentlemen named Danilo and a nail appointment with Martha which was fantastic. Although the personnel providing the services were great, when we entered the spa there was no one there to greet us, we walked in to the lockers rooms and eventually found an older gentlemen who assisted us with locker keys. When we were done with the services and were ready to pay, same thing no one was at the front to assist us. My husband stepped outside to take a call while I was waiting. As my husband stepped outside a pencil that was hanging from the door fell, this noise was what advised the spa manager of our exit. I explained to Laura, the spa manager, that no one was there to greet us and that we were waiting for 10 minutes to check out. There was no apology and her over all demeanors was as if though she did not really care. I also noticed Laura was rushed to leave the spa because she had her purse hanging from her shoulder. This is obviously poor management to me and lack of service. Over all if you do not receive a good deal for the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove you’re better off staying at a Marriot you will probably receive better service and get a better bank for your buck.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Is it common in Miami for the locals to assume you are hispanic? The valet attendant was nice but spoke little english and I doubt he understood everything I said. I went inside to check-in and the first greeting by the front desk agent was in spanish. Why? My husband said its probably because I look like Jennifer Lopez but I don't speak spanish. I have heard this sort of thing happens a lot in Miami but I was not expecting this at the Ritz. I politely ask the girl to please speak in english. Would you believe it the same thing happen later that day? Are there no longer any english speaking qualified individuals to work?

Moving on, the staff was very nice overall and the service great but I notice that managers are no where to be found. Try it, ask for one and you will hear "..in a meeting.." We joked that maybe this is similar to the movie "The Associate" and the managers are ficitional. We had hope to speak with the executive chef because the food did not meet our expectation.

The location is hidden somewhere in Miami Grove. We prefer the quietness and privacy Grove has to offer except when we woke up to loud hammer noise. Someone neglected to inform us during reservation that the hotel was undergoing renovation. Maybe the "managers" forgot that people actually come to hotels to find relaxation. I understand modernizing the hotel but at 9AM?!!! On our last night we decide to visit the pool, like my daughter would say, OMG! The only thing missing were barb wires. It was not a pretty sight. We found out the pool area is being renovated as well. Overall the service was great but the minor issues took away from what we expected to be a great experience.

pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just returned from our 6th visit to the Ritz Coconut Grove. We chose this hotel for fact that we have had excellent treatment and wonderful experiences in the past. This visit however we did encounter an unfortunate event; although unsettling at the time we were treated wonderfully and professionally when we raised our concern. William was very kind and made sure that he resolved our issue in a very timely manner; very professional!
The staff from the housekeeping, restaurant, valet, front desk and management cannot be beat and we will continue to choose the Ritz for any upcoming stay in Coconut Grove. You will feel well respected and very happy with your choice to stay at this lovely property.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

This is a perfectly charming hotel. Definitely not for the party animals looking for action in south beach... the area is quiet but a short stroll away a really nice village where you can eat outside & very nice shops etc. I checked in after long flight from London & met William... I cannot emphasise enough what a great young man. He's whole demeanor is calm, relaxing, welcoming, friendly and he is a real asset to this hotel. I travel a lot & rarely have I come across a guy like this. I'm sure he's going to go very far in his career coz he has a way in dealing & speaking to people that is a real gift. The rooms are lovely, nothing too special but once you're all tucked up you cannot fault a single thing, great bed very high quality/thread count sheets, bathroom just amazing. They give you so much water and it's a small cost to the hotel but goes a long way with travellers. TV flat screen, room service excellent. Had the brunch on Sunday morning and though it seems a small selection, it's only because they are not putting out gallons of food: rather they refresh it constantly & it was fab-u-lous! Topping you up with free champs all morning. Nice gym, nice bar area, the only gripe would be swimming pool. They need to address this area: The chairs were more from a 3* hotel.

I'd recommend this hotel hands down... ended up extending my stay I was so relaxed couldn't move! On way back home I tried Four Seasons::: which is perfectly nice but the Ritz is far more relaxing, intimate & friendly. I also visited the Ritz at South Beach & it's a monster of a hotel -- huge but the staff were lovely & it's bang on the beach. Ritz Coconut Grove is more boutique & everyone without exception makes u feel special. I found the staff in the dining room more than attentive so I was amazed anyone would complain about being kept waiting. Concierge - can't remember her name but she's from kenya - gave me great tips & even told me about a place to get the best pancakes I've had in a gizillion years! Stay & u won't regret it!

NewYork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Loved this hotel previous to my latest stay. There was construction at the swimming pool... and a general feeling of malaise from the staff. Not at all what it used to be. The common rooms are still lovely but it's just not at all what it used to be.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Stayed at the Ritz before we took a cruise on RCI. It was a very affordable package which included parking and breakfast. Great deal. Of course the hotel was very upscale. It was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The large room had a baconey with a view of downtown MIami. Very comfortable king bed, large flat screen tv, crown molding and very large bathroom. Separate walk in shower and tub. Plenty of plush towels. Coco walk is a 5 minute walk with lots of places to eat and shops to go into. Ate at the Cheescake Factory for the first time, very crowded and I now know why. The food was excellent. Staff are all very pleasant and the hotel was spotless. When you enter the lobby it is full of flowers so the smell is awesome.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Wayne, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

When you think of the Ritz Carlton, you think of opulence. I expect grandiose settings and beautiful arrangements. As far as Coconut Grove is concerned, the actual building has it, unfortunately they're located in an area that takes away from it. It's placed oddly on what seems to be a side-business traveler street BEHIND the only important part of the Grove!! As a matter of fact, if you go about 3 turns in the wrong direction, it would be in your best interest to roll up your windows and lower your radio....

This is out of their control so I cannot fault them. The hotel itself is gorgeous and very classy. Only a few gripes....
- Food prepared correctly once every 8 times
- The one time the food is prepared correctly, it will take so long to get to you, you might as well start take a look around and see what hotel guest you're going to eat first to survive.
- Pool under renovation and it didn't say it on the website - BUT it was still open thankfully
- Language barrier with some of the staff which makes them seems standoff-ish or surly.
- Managers speak less English than the floor employees

Pros
- Housekeeping works harder than most. Room in always in immaculate condition after mid-day service
-You're close to South Beach = close to the sun, sand and beautiful women
- pricing is very affordable
- Lastly, employees like William Baines. The guy is spot-on with everything he does for you. He was able to assist me in whatever I needed while i was there. Kind-hearted, focused, and a genuine person. He even played a better concierge than the ACTUAL concierge. Had an issue with my bill and he was able to fix it right away. William was absolutely great and if i didn't know any better, I'd say he lived there because he was in the lobby or behind the desk everytime I came down! If you're there ask for him!! I doubt you'll be disappointed in the service.

All in all, a great stay....kudos to housekeeping and Mr. Baines. If you like elegant and quaint, go with this Ritz. Just remember to pack your own lunch.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami? Share your experiences!