“Quiet and elegant stay - Great hotel , excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 SW 27th Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Paris, France
“Quiet and elegant stay - Great hotel , excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I was there on business for a conference.
I found this hotel classy , elegant which is usually a combination of the premices , the staff and the clientele.
The atmosphere was relaxed and classy. My favorite.
Very nice lobby, very helpful concierge nice pool (not a resort pool, but nicer pool than typical for city hotel), good room with excellent bathroom, nice balcony. Service was excellent.
This is partly a hotel and partly a RC residence. I was not too fond of the building itself (I prefer lower structures) , but the inside (rooms, lobby, restaurants, pool) compensated nicely.
Coconut Grove will not keep you busy more than a couple of hours or for diner. It is a "quiet" place. Miami beach is kilometers away. Personnally I like these places, near the hot places, but not in the middle of it. So this hotel is perfect from that perspective. If you like your shopping, befores and afters at the foot of the hotel ... search for another place.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I wouldn't be able to afford it most times - but it was a good deal on Expedia and my birthday treat. The only gripe I would have is the cost of the aprking and the charge for internet - but I guess if you have to worry about such things you shouldn't really be in the Ritz Carlton in the first place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

The service at the Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Groce was excellent. The front desk was more than accomodating. When we asked for help they went above and beyond. Our room was gorgeous with a view of the bay. Every dettail of the room was perfect when we walked in. It had everything we needed, was very clean, and was at a perfect temperature. Nothing can beat the relaxing "imagine" music video that plays on the television in the room. It took only seconds to feel like I was truely on vacation. The breakfast offered in the hotel restaurant was delicious. When we wanted to leave the hotel there was so much to do just a few steps away. We enjoyed walking to the restaurants and bars just blocks away from the hotel. There is nothing I didn't like about staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Grove other than the fact that I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NewYork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Ritz Carlton in the grove. Cannot say enough about the staff, Fatima and Ashley were ever so accommodating. Rooms are well decorated and the bathroom is extremely spacious. Pool area is immaculate with all the amenities one would hope to find. If you are looking for a first class hotel without an "attitude" then I would strongly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Tampa Bay area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

We checked in a few hours early and our room was ready. The front desk was great and made us feel welcome. Room was clean. Bathroom was roomy. Tub was separate. Bathroom had plenty of towels and amenities.
Shower was had lots of hot water and robes were large and comfortable.
I'd probably get a bigger room next time with 2 kids along. The double beds were a little too small to stretch out but they were comfortable.

We walked to Cocowalk its only a few blocks away. Had dinner and a movie. It was raining when we got out so we took a short cab ride from Cocowalk to the hotel. It was only a $4 fare.
Room had a nice TV and a balcony that had a view of the city.
Next morning we took the kids to the pool. It wasn't heating like they claimed but the kids liked it. Sun didn't hit the pool area until 10:30-11am. We had some good drinks from the pool bar and the bartender gave us some paddles to play ping-pong. They also brought out floats and noodles for the kids. We came back to the hotel after a trip to the ballpark that isn't too far away on the toll roads. We got late night meal from room service and the food was good. Had a wrap, caesar salad and cheesecake. The cheesecake was excellent. We almost stayed an extra day because we like the place so much. Check out was good and the valet staff was very nice and helpful. They gave us water to take on the trip out of town. I will stay here again and recommend this hotel to others. Worth the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

This hotel was fantastic. The service was incredible, the rooms were spotless (with turn down service twice daily). The view from the balcony was great, The front desk personnel was very friendly and willing to assist with any request. This is not South Beach, but there is access to some great high-end chain restaurants blocks away at Coco Walk and access to major roads leading to the beaches. If you want a clean, elegant, high-end experience without the bad attitudes that South Beach has to offer, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Having disliked the Impala, South Beach last year (see review), I stumbled upon this excellent alternative which, for anyone who wants Miami sans tackiness, is a great choice. Booked on the R-C website with a "reconnect" package which gives you a $200 credit to offset against the "extras"; the room was $300+ for the first night dropping to $200 for the subsequent three - tax extra.

As a Viajero Global who has just turned 50, I've grown out of the full-on South Beach experience - in addition to which, THE thing seems to be conversion of hotel bars into night clubs which renders the hotel stay for anyone not participating in the party scene horrible. Fortunately, the R-C CG treats its guests as adults and the whole experience is one of friendly (but not over-friendly) attention to detail.

My 4-night stay could have been designed as the perfect "test":
> After putting my clothes in the closet, I found a sticky mess on the shelf which had soiled a shirt; in a matter of minutes, housekeeping sent a guy and a girl to clean it.
> They said I should leave the shirt to be laundered the following day which I did but past the cut-off time for same-day delivery; nevertheless, the charming lady who picked it up asked me whether I would like it delivered the same day.
> I was initially allocated room 817 which has a door to an adjoining room; as I discovered on the second day, this means you hear absolutely everything from the guests next door so I asked if I could change. This was no problem and I was allocated 720 which was bigger (with no connecting door) but without access to an external free WiFi available from 817. The laundered shirt was duly delivered the same day to 720.
> The cost for the laundered shirt appeared on the bill but was removed immediately I pointed it out.
> The $200 credit was NOT fully applied to the bill on checkout (the guy at the desk said they had complained about the systems glitch) but was deducted straightaway.

Other observations:
> The large pool is lovely and peaceful: receives the sun after 11.30am at this time of year.
> I found service superb throughout the property: as others have mentioned, it's amazing they remember your name without it seeming fake; if you hablar español, the housekeeping staff are incredibly friendly.
> As a "solo traveller", I didn't feel out of place since a) the average age of the guests is older and b) it's used by people on business which gives it less of a suffocating "straight couples only" atmosphere.
> You definitely need a car (Coconut Grove is nice but you'll definitely want to go to the malls or other areas of Miami): hiring from Avis at MIA took 45 minutes so I'll try Hertz next time. Valet parking is $30 per night but very efficient.

One of my all-time favourite hotels is the Sukhothai, Bangkok and the R-C, CG provides a similar metropolitan hotel experience and will be my base for future trips.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami? Share your experiences!