“Great Hotel in Coconut Grove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 SW 27th Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Maryland
“Great Hotel in Coconut Grove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

This hotel was fantastic. The service was incredible, the rooms were spotless (with turn down service twice daily). The view from the balcony was great, The front desk personnel was very friendly and willing to assist with any request. This is not South Beach, but there is access to some great high-end chain restaurants blocks away at Coco Walk and access to major roads leading to the beaches. If you want a clean, elegant, high-end experience without the bad attitudes that South Beach has to offer, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Having disliked the Impala, South Beach last year (see review), I stumbled upon this excellent alternative which, for anyone who wants Miami sans tackiness, is a great choice. Booked on the R-C website with a "reconnect" package which gives you a $200 credit to offset against the "extras"; the room was $300+ for the first night dropping to $200 for the subsequent three - tax extra.

As a Viajero Global who has just turned 50, I've grown out of the full-on South Beach experience - in addition to which, THE thing seems to be conversion of hotel bars into night clubs which renders the hotel stay for anyone not participating in the party scene horrible. Fortunately, the R-C CG treats its guests as adults and the whole experience is one of friendly (but not over-friendly) attention to detail.

My 4-night stay could have been designed as the perfect "test":
> After putting my clothes in the closet, I found a sticky mess on the shelf which had soiled a shirt; in a matter of minutes, housekeeping sent a guy and a girl to clean it.
> They said I should leave the shirt to be laundered the following day which I did but past the cut-off time for same-day delivery; nevertheless, the charming lady who picked it up asked me whether I would like it delivered the same day.
> I was initially allocated room 817 which has a door to an adjoining room; as I discovered on the second day, this means you hear absolutely everything from the guests next door so I asked if I could change. This was no problem and I was allocated 720 which was bigger (with no connecting door) but without access to an external free WiFi available from 817. The laundered shirt was duly delivered the same day to 720.
> The cost for the laundered shirt appeared on the bill but was removed immediately I pointed it out.
> The $200 credit was NOT fully applied to the bill on checkout (the guy at the desk said they had complained about the systems glitch) but was deducted straightaway.

Other observations:
> The large pool is lovely and peaceful: receives the sun after 11.30am at this time of year.
> I found service superb throughout the property: as others have mentioned, it's amazing they remember your name without it seeming fake; if you hablar español, the housekeeping staff are incredibly friendly.
> As a "solo traveller", I didn't feel out of place since a) the average age of the guests is older and b) it's used by people on business which gives it less of a suffocating "straight couples only" atmosphere.
> You definitely need a car (Coconut Grove is nice but you'll definitely want to go to the malls or other areas of Miami): hiring from Avis at MIA took 45 minutes so I'll try Hertz next time. Valet parking is $30 per night but very efficient.

One of my all-time favourite hotels is the Sukhothai, Bangkok and the R-C, CG provides a similar metropolitan hotel experience and will be my base for future trips.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is the third Ritz in the last year that I've stayed at. Both the ones in Sarasota and Grand Cayman were MUCH better....no comparison. First of all, there is NOTHING to do in Coconut Grove. There were no interesting shops or any nice stores. If you must be in this area, I would try to find a nice hotel in the South Beach area, about 20 minutes south. As for this Hotel, the Housekeeping department is a complete disaster. They have no clue how to prepare, clean, or maintain a room! When I checked in, almost everything was missing....from toiletries to towels to the crib we requested for my newborn. They "forgot" to do the turn down service 3 of the 4 nights we were there. When they did clean the room, it was still dirty! The toilets had brown streaks, the sheets had stains, and the corners of the room had little dustballs as if it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Whenever I would complain, the manager said we are looking into it and we would get back to you! Of course, I never heard a thing back. I couldn't believe it. I thought staying at a Ritz Carlton meant amazing service and all the perks you don't get at a lower hotel chain. I will never return here and pray that you don't make the same mistake. Oh, by the way, worst massage I ever had at their spa and the pool area is really not nice with once again, terrible service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

After a last minute change in plans, our trip to Key West had to be aborted and we ended up heading back to the Miami area. With no advance planning, we aimed for the nearest available Ritz and found our way to Coconut Grove. We've stayed at a number of the different Ritz locations and were very happy with what we found when we arrived.

This is one of the smaller Ritz hotels. It is down right tiny compared to its bigger sister resort on Key Biscayne. But the smaller size results in a much friendlier and personal experience. We were looking for a quiet and luxurious stay and that's exactly what we got. The room was very nice with a beautiful balcony view of the Bay with Key Biscayne in the distance. By comparison to other Ritz hotels, the room is slightly smaller, but every bit as comfortable and clean.

We arrived late afternoon and were happy to find 24 hour room service. As usual, the room service food was delivered promptly and it was a delicious meal on the balcony enjoying the sun and the breeze with a great view. Breakfast room service was equally good. Did not have a chance to visit the restaurant, but we were told that it was excellant as well.

The pool area is quite nice and very quiet. We enjoyed the pool bar and the chance to sit outside in the sun and enjoy a late afternoon cocktail. During our visit, the young man at the bar was very friendly, but not very experienced on preparing drinks. (Didn't know what a Rum Punch was, we made some quick changes on our choices and got him thru the items he wasn't familiar with.

The staff was very helpful to a person. The staff at the front desk was quick to recommend where to go for meals outside the hotel as well as how to get there. There wasn't a request that they didn't immediately respond to quickly and with a smile.

Coconut Grove was very quiet and very disappointing. The descriptions we read before we arrived made it sound like a charming shopping area full of interesting boutiques. Sadly, didn't find that to be the case. Instead, found very boring shops with lots of empty and closed locations. Don't know if this is all a result of the bad economy, but nothing worth seeing. Downtown Coral Gables (Miracle Mile) also turned out to be disappointing compared to the descriptions.

Bottom line - excellent hotel that should not disappoint.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Jhutch1984
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I flew into Miami for a long weekend to visit some friends that live in Coconut Grove. They recommended that I stay at the Ritz-Carlton, which was walking distance to their house. To my surprise they offered the government rate!! The hotel was very clean and you could tell they just completed a renovation….the rooms were very new! The service was really great. I had asked the front desk staff for some non-perfumed soap, as I am allergic to perfumed soap, and they went out of their way and ran to CVS to purchase the soap. That wouldn’t happen at a Marriott, Hyatt, or any other 4-Star Hotel. You could tell they cared. Next time I’m in town, I will definitely stay at the Ritz again, especially since they are now affordable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

We had a 24-hour stay at the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove on Valentines Day 2009 after a trip to Caribbean. It was a nice hotel---good lobby, nice pool (not quite a resort pool, but nicer pool than typical for city hotel), good room with excellent bathroom, nice balcony. Service was excellent. Accommodated very early check-in nicely. Asked an employee where the pool was and he spent 5 minutes walking with us until we got there. Food at pool bar was good as was dinner at Vizcaya. Note: This is partly a hotel and partly a RC residence. At the pool it was mostly residents who knew each other that lived in residential tower. Not a bad thing--just different. I wasn't just crazy about Coconut Grove but thats an issue of personal preference. I do prefer South Beach. It was a very good hotel overall, but I only give it 4 stars rather than 5 stars because I do not think this hotel quite has a clear vision of what it is. The amenities (pool, etc.) are not quite up to high-end resort standards, and its not quite up to Ritz Carlton standards for the urban hotels. Still, it suited our needs well, and we had a very pleasant short stay here. Would not hesitate to return for a short Miami visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

What an amazing hotel! From the minute I arrived, the staff at the Ritz-Carlton treated me as if I was the only guest in the hotel. They continuously used my name which made me feel like a VIP!! We were able to get the room at an absolute steal….booked a package called Reconnect. We got breakfast; valet and internet for an absolutely amazing price (can’t believe it from the Ritz)! The hotel has new rooms that were extremely clean with fresh flowers in the room! Downtown Coconut Grove was just steps away with great restaurants and live entertainment!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami? Share your experiences!