“Good hotel for business meetings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

You added The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 SW 27th Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Good hotel for business meetings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Spent 3 days at this well-presented hotel with the expected level of customer service you get in the USA. Friendly staff upon check-in, good rooms and excellent food throughout catering for over 60 of us.
I would say that the lobby bar is a little small to cater for large groups but the staff here are also very good.
The one downside to this trip was the amount of building going on directly outside the hotel - not the fault of the hotel but did make being outside a little noisy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Zeldar T, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Mr. Cliff,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the service provided by our Ladies and Gentlemen although the outdoor was a bit bleak due to the neighborhood enhancements. I wish that your next experience with us will be flawless throughout.

Warm regards

William Yahr
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I am still at the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove for a two night stay and I wanted to say how pleasantly surprised I am with the hotel and its service. I picked the hotel because it offered a very good government/military rate, a little more than half the regular room rate. No other Ritz Carltons in the areas were offering a rate anywhere near that low.

I knew it would be a good hotel but i was a little cautious after reading some of the reviews. At the last minute I even considered switching to the Mandarin Oriental or the Four Seasons where my company has good corporate rates. But I decided to stay with Coconut Grove over Miami. It was the right choice.

We arrived early in Ft Lauderdale from a cruise.I knew check-in time was not until 4 pm. I called the hotel and spoke to Michael at the front desk and expressed my desire to get into a room early. I mentioned I was a Marriott Gold Elite, we were celebrating our 15th anniversary, and if he had a better room available I would be willing to consider an upsell.

He wished me a happy anniversary, said I could get one upgrade for being a Gold Elite and he would discount a second upgrade to a suite for $100 a night. And he would have them start cleaning the suite now so it would be ready by the time we could get there at 11 am. You can't expect much more than that.

When we arrived at the hotel the suite was ready and Michael promptly sent up a bottle of champagne. The suite is lovely with a dining table, sofa and two chairs, guest bathroom, bedroom and bathroom.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, the staff is very, very friendly, the pool is large, heated, with many lounge chairs and some ares with shade. We ate a simple lunch outside at the hotel restaurant and it was quiet and pleasant.

The ever helpful Michael suggested some nearby restaurants for dinner and after some time at the pool we walked over to a shopping and restaurant area for dinner.

There is major construction going on across the street from the hotel but there really is nothing anyone can do about that.

From what I have seen this is an excellent hotel I would recommend to anyone. The only slip-up was when the housekeeper came by to do the turn down service and I asked her to please come back in 10 minutes after we left for dinner, she forgot to return and the turn down service was never done. I hope I get two mints tonight.

Room Tip: Ask for an up-sell if you're willing to pay a little more for a better room. Try to get a room a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Tom,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our property while traveling in Miami. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Michael was very happy to read your feedback and to konw that he contributed to your wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our little oasis in the Grove.

Warm regards

William Yahr
Hotel Manager
Paoli, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I am a frequent traveler and typically am a fan of Ritz and Marriott family properties. The facility is classy clean and well maintained. I will share some of my experience. Upon check-in there was a hard sell for an upgraded room at a much higher price. I should not have to say no thank you 3 times, in front of other guests. I started my first day with an early morning meeting and a quick 'navy' style cold shower...because there was no hot water. Then at 6:30 am my wife who was going to sleep in was awoken by very very loud noise from construction right outside of our window. As I departed at 7 am I shared my concern with the front desk and asked for the a call during the day to let me know the status. No Call. Upon returning that evening the front desk had no history. They did change my room. I asked for an explanation and was promised a call. It never happened. Finally departure day and I had a question for the front desk. They put me on hold for almost 20 minutes. Really?
Cold water, noise, construction, no follow-up and poor service? At a Ritz-Carlton...

Room Tip: specify away from construction side. There is major work being done across the street. They start...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Jeffrey P.
Thank you for your loyal patronage to our brand and for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to learn of your disappointing overall impression of our hotel, though I am happy to hear that you mentioned our classy and well maintained facility. Please know, our guest’s satisfaction is very important to us, and we hope to have the opportunity to impress you next time around. Rest assured we will use this feedback in a constructive manner to address those shortfalls you experienced during your stay with everyone involved. If you wish to further discuss please contact our Executive Office at 786-470-1101. We look forward to hearing from you.
Warmest regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights. Our first room was adjoining to another, and while the door was locked, we could hear them screaming at each other loud and clear. We asked for a change, and they couldn't have been nicer. The change was done while we were at dinner to a comparable room on a different floor. Service at the pool was excellent on one day and mediocre on the others. The guy who was just ok was clearly catering to a large family and paying little attention to the others. On the good day, the pool guy treated everyone equally and like royalty. NEVER ran out of towels or chairs. Food was expensive but to be expected at a Ritz so not surprising.
Came for the Sony Tennis. The shuttle left from a marriott around the corner. very convenient. Only issue was we had to walk back after a very long night, but worth it to stay at the nicer hotel.
In all, you cannot beat the service at the Ritz. They are at your beck and call, and if you have issues, they will take care to fix them immediately. Parking charge is $33/night which is excessive. If you plan to stay put, great food and shops are a walk so you really don't need a car.

Room Tip: ask for room that does not adjoin
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear BSL10024,
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit to our property over the Sony Open. I am happy to hear that our Ladies and Gentlemen assisted you when needed to make your stay comfortable. Thank you for highlighting the convenience of the Shuttle Service to the Sony Open, a very convenient transportation set up for our tennis fans.
Thank you for mentioning our food and pool service. We pride ourselves to have a little oasis at our pool for guests to enjoy a day of relaxation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back for the next Sony Open, or sooner.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The staff at this hotel was top of the line--highly knowledgeable and helpful, and dedicated to our comfort. From the valet parking guys who greeted us on arrival and returned our car on departure with cold waters for our drive, to the front desk staff, bellman who told us about all hotel services and amenities on the way to our room, and the lobby bartender who greeted us like family whenever we walked in, we appreciated their warmth and friendly expert service. They deserve a five star review, but the hotel does not.

We stayed for two nights at the beginning of a 10-day Florida vacation. The hotel, while nice, is not quite the luxury experience I'd anticipated. The lobby is beautiful and our room was very nice--king bed, loveseat, desk, large marble bathroom, terrace and the full panoply of in-room amenities (robes, toiletries, complimentary spring water, coffee setup). But some things weren't thought through. First, although additional electrical outlets were plentiful near the desk, there were none near the bed. For the millions who use a cpap machine to sleep, this isn't just a matter of convenience. We had to pull the mattress out and unplug the alarm clock to find an outlet that wouldn't have required an extension cord. Second, the lovely marble shower is extremely slippery--a rubber bathmat would have helped. Third, the shower pressure is the worst I have EVER experienced anywhere--there was none, literally a trickle, even adjusting the shower head. It took awhile even to get my hair wet, much less wash out the shampoo. Third, the walls are thin.

The ability to enjoy quiet is further hampered by a construction project going on just across the street. Our choices were construction noise (and a huge crane very close by) on the bay side or noise from the hotel's pool on the other. Obviously the construction isn't the hotel's fault, but it is an issue and will continue to be until it's complete.

Last, be mindful of extras. The hotel annoyingly charges extra for a wifi connection. I concur with most travelers who consider this to be a cheap shot. Marriott execs either don't read the travel columns or don't care. This was the only hotel of the four we stayed at on our trip to impose the junk charge. Also, note there is a $33 per day charge for valet parking (no self-park option).

Room Tip: Call ahead regarding the construction across the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for submitting a very detailed review of your experience at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove. While I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the customer service provided by our Ladies and Gentlemen throughout your stay, I will take your feedback on the other items such as (WIFI, additional plugs near the bed, water pressure, valet parking) to ensure we can find a solution to those. I apologize that your stay was not to your full satisfaction. We sincerely appreciate your comments and I will address this issue with the appropriate departments.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. I apologize your experience at the hotel was not a memorable one and hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This location is not like your average Ritz. The service was really subpar. Pool ran out of towels and chairs pretty much every day we were there. The dining staff was very slow. The room was clean...until I decided to do some push ups and looked at the dust bunnies under the bed.

Had we not been there for a wedding party I would have complained to management. The price of the room was ridiculous for the level of service we got.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate to learn of your overall impression of our property. Please know, your satisfaction is very important to us, and we hope to have the opportunity to create a better experience in your next visit. Rest assured we will use this feedback in a constructive manner to address those shortfalls. If you wish to further discuss please contact our Executive Office at (786)470-1101. I trust though that you had a wonderful wedding this past weekend. We look forward to hearing from you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Spent three nights here in January. The rooms were nice but not stunning, the location was great and the service on the beach good. Poolside looked and felt a bit run down but again the staff were friendly enough. The problem is everything is so expensive. $45 for breakfast. $35 for a small glass of wine and small gin and tonic. If the place looked and felt like a real five star hotel you could justify the expense but it feels like a middle of the range Spanish hotel.. It's a great location but I would not expect to much and eat and drink out of the hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jonnieb1701,
Thank you for your comments and review on Trip Advisor. Feedback is very important to us and I appreciate the time you took to write your opinion regarding our property.
We will review our pricing, though I am happy to say that our Food and Beverage team continuously creates new events, one of them being the TGIF, The Grove International Friday’s, offering variety of menu samples from around the world with wines specials.
We hope to welcome you back to experience some of our specials in a future visit to Miami.
Jackie Volkart

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami? Share your experiences!