“Great business experience and service (and the BED = amazing!)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

You added The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 SW 27th Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Boston
“Great business experience and service (and the BED = amazing!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked a room at this Ritz last year to attend a conference that was being held on-site. After hours of flight delays and travel hassles, I arrived at the hotel right around 11pm to someone waiting for my cab. To my horror, they were not there to welcome me, but to tell me they were overbooked and to send me to the Residence Inn across the street. They wouldn't even let me step into the luxurious lobby that looked so inviting... Needless to say, I was not pleased so when I booked the hotel this year for the same conference, I made a point of contacting them to let them know I would be checking in late and to please (PLEASE) hold a room for me this time around. Not only did they hold a room, but they upgraded me and I was given free room service! They more than made up for their goof last year. Their customer service truly is excellent.

The hotel is what you would expect a Ritz to be - beautiful and luxurious (and expensive). The guestroom was large and the bed was just AMAZING, I could have stayed in it all day (especially with the 2 extra large down pillows I was able to request when I booked online). Since this was a business trip, I didn't experience the spa or pool, but the grounds were well kept and lovely. I would definitely stay again and I hope next year's conference stays on this property!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I agree with many previous reviewers: this hotel is definitely not a typical Ritz Carlton. First of all the good bits: the staff. Every single employee is delightful, friendly and eager to help. A very rare find these days. Which is why I can't understand how the hotel gets everything else so wrong, despite managing the hardest part: good staff and service.
The rooms are average and if you are unlucky to get one on the lower floors, way below average considering the room rate. They're just full of paradoxes. There's a lint remover in the room, but the bathtub doesn't have a shower extension (so what's the point..) and the safe is so small you can hardly fit a wallet and keys in it. The bathrooms are rather nice, but the toiletries are basic at best. The TV is massive and high end, but there isn't even a chest of drawers in the room.
The pool area is really quite spartan, with a very small pool considering the size of the hotel.
The breakfast buffet must be the worse I have seen in a luxury hotel. There is hardly anything there, not even sliced bread. Admittedly, you can order it from the waiter, but not of great use if you are in a rush. Continental breakfast is a plate, with 4 pieces of pastries on it, that's it. In all other hotels of this calibre, there's general a continental buffet option, which includes all cold items, like fruit or yoghurt. Not there: you either pay for the full buffet ($30 inc tax), or you have to order a-la-carte, which works out at pretty much the same price, for a coffee, some fruit and a pastry. I was really disappointed and seeing that there have been quite a few similar negative reviews prior to mine, I find it even more disappointed that there has been no management response to these reviews, which makes me wonder if management even cares. They must care about their stuff, otherwise they wouldn't be so nice, which I guess it's a great start, but guests are important too.

Room Tip: Ask for high floors
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2011 and by far this is one of the nicest hotels in Miami. Room service was prompt and the food was delicious. The bathroom was beautiful and had a soaking tub that invited me to take a long hot bath my first night there. I felt like I was at home and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2011
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

First to CCGrove altho many to MIA, SOBA, Keys + many to Ritz Carltons, FSH, etc.

This is a truly spectacular venue: design, service, food quality, friendliness of staff, setting -- did I say 'service?' A truly winning formula -- and it seems to come easy to them.

It's like a blend of Asian opulence and European (Brasilian) charm. Best hotel experience in a decade or more.

Go - you'll love it

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

This hotel is fine, but it just doesn't have the feel of a Ritz. We stayed one night after we arrived in Miami, before we went to the keys. We had reservations to come back when we returned to Miami, but cancelled that reservation and opted to go to the Four Seasons, which we are glad we did. In the morning, there was no coffee to take with you and parking was $32 a night. I expect for what we pay to stay here, they could have coffee to take as you leave. I had to go to the bar and pay $5 a cup. The people were nice. We were given a letter at check in that construction would be taking place 8-5. At about 7, ww heard a very loud clankig on the floor just above us like someone was hitting on a pipe with a hammer. I am a frequest Ritz guest, but this one just didn't have the "ah" factor. With all the choices in Miami, you could do better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Before I go into the details of our stay at the Ritz, I really want to know why $100/night hotels offer free parking, free breakfast, free wireless internet access, free business computer access and free local calls while a $455/night hotel like the Ritz charges $30/day for parking, expensive breakfasts, daily charges for wireless internet access, minute-by-minute charges for business computer access and a 99% overcharge on local calls? Now to our stay: the staff at the hotel were excellent, friendly and well trained; our room was excellent and clean; the location was within walking distance of the Cocowalk and a nice selection of restaurants; service was impectable. Now the not so good comments: we had a meal at the lobby restaurant the first night we were there and my wife's meal (pasta) was inedible (after we complained, we were not charged for it); the hotel was undergoing remodeling that involved constant noise from all sorts of power equipment during the 8AM to 5PM period and was loudly disturbing in our room, on our balcony and at the pool; the landscaping work was performed daily from about 9AM to 12PM around the pool area and involved the use of exceedingly noisy power equipment - one of the guests finally told the landscaper to stop and leave, which he did. We had to leave the hotel in order to get away from the noise even though our purpose of coming to this hotel was to finally obtain a week-long period of quiet relaxation in the Miami warmth by a pool.

We complained to the hotel manager who was very apologetic and told us that he would like to think for a few hours to decide upon what he might be able to do to make sure that we wouldn't leave his hotel unhappy. About 4 hours later, he sent us a note offering us to receive a one night room upgrade the next time we would come to this hotel. We told him what he could do with this wonderful offer and we do not plan to ever come back to this hotel. We are very experienced travelers and only stay in 4 or 5 star hotels, but we neglected to determine if there was any construction going on in the hotel when we made our reservations - a mistake we will never make again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

This was not my favorite Ritz Carlton property, BUT, it was luxurious and well located in walking distance to Coconut Grove shops/restaurants. It is a bit sandwiched into its space, so does not have the open expansive feel in lobby and outside that many RC's have. But the roses in the lobby are gorgeous and the lobby bar, while small, was well used. The staff was excellent and the pool looked nice. Room was typical, with all marble bath, but with separate tub and shower. Room had a balcony with a water glimpse. While I wouldn't vacation here, I found it a lovely place to stay when passing through Miami for a night on the way to the Keys, and will stay again if I get a good rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami? Share your experiences!