“GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Fine Dining
Miami, Florida
“GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I purchased a Groupon and then read all of the reviews. I must admit, I was nervous about dining here. There were 7 of us. We had friends from England (one was Indian). So we asked our Indian friend to make the selections and the food was excellent. She commented on the wonderful favors. She asked for 'typical Punjabi' preparation and we were all very satisfied with our meal. Previous reviews about poor service did not apply for us. The staff was wonderful, happy, patient, and very accommodating. I will definitely return and I would recommend this restaurant!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Coral Gables, Florida
“Great Indian Cuisine!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Don't know what the fuss is about? We had a great experience. Food was amazing, service couldn't have been better. The place is upscale, modern and very clean. Best lamb chops we've had in a while. Will visit again when in the Brickell area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shellharbour
“Beautiful Indian Restaurant in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Found Nice food and friendly staff. They have nice interior. I will say one of the beautiful Indian Restaurant in Miami.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“Sorely disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My friend bought a Groupon for this restaurant and treated me and two others for my birthday dinner. The facility and menu are really beautiful. Those are the best parts of this evening's meal.

The waitress was humorless, inexperienced, unfamiliar with the menu, failed to keep our water glasses filled...although it was obvious we all drank lots of water...served one of the two appetizers with the meal. The "tea cart" used for service was one on which I would expect to see tucked into a corner, stacked with bus trays....black plastic. I asked for pepper sauces. None ever appeared. And the restaurant had only 4 tables occupied, so where was our waitress if not waiting on our table? How busy could she possibly have been?

The food was mediocre, at best.

When it came time to pay, part of Groupon's deal is a set gratuity. My friend challenged it, saying the service was well below par. The restaurant demurred.

We will not go back and I'd advise everyone else not to, either.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“Definitely an upscale version of Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Mint Leaf Brasserie in Brickell is relatively new to the downtown scene, although their original restaurant in Coral Gables has been established since 2008. It is definitely an upscale version of Indian food, and quite possibly not the best choice for an introduction to the cuisine, but all the same we enjoyed it tremendously. While there was some haggling to be done to actually use the coupon they had advertised with LivingSocial, the food itself was wonderful. We visited the restaurant at noon on a quiet Sunday, we were the only patrons in the entire establishment for most of our meal. Being that all the items on the menu were foreign to me, we opted for their vegetarian thali, meaning plate in Hindi. A thali is an array of traditional dishes served as a platter, typically consisting of rice, vegetables, curd, chutney, dhal (pureed lentils, chickpeas or other starchy vegetable), a sweet dish and bread.

A vegetarian thali at Mint Leaf Brasserie costs $35 per person and includes vegetable bhajjia, tandoori paneer, sooki sabsi, dal makhani, channa masala, Bombay aloo, pillau rice, naan and a choice of either kofta or makhani mattar paneer for your main entrée. If you are anything like me, most of this sounds like gibberish, but fear not as it is all wonderfully delicious. My favorite was most definitely the kofta, which is vegetables and grains made into a paste, and then formed into balls. They are then simmered in a spicy sauce, absorbing the flavors and becoming very soft. They are excellent when scooped with a thick piece of naan (grilled flatbread).

While the prices may be a bit higher than you would pay on average for a Sunday lunch, the experience is priceless. In one afternoon I feel I have learned a tremendous amount about Indian cuisine, the tastes that I favor and feel much more confident venturing out to another Indian restaurant. If you are in the Brickell or Coral Gables area during the weekdays for lunch, they also have a smaller portion thali for only $14.50.

• Visited June 2012