“Decent, but shouldn't be in the Top 10” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
HHonors Weekend Special
Ranked #21 of 130 hotels in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent, but shouldn't be in the Top 10”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

I recently stayed at the Doral Hampton Inn for one night on business. There were some things I liked about it, and some other things that I really didn't like. All in all, it was adequate, but I don't think it should be listed as one of the Top 10 hotels in Miami (not including Miami Beach hotels). I would only recommend it for business travelers (but don't get a pool-view room...see below) and/or people needing a hotel near the Turnpike.

Pros:
--Free shuttle bus is available to pick you up from the airport (or take you to the airport) and can also take you to/from nearby restaurants, Doral mall, etc. Very nice if you don't have a car
--Free breakfast in the morning. I didn't go for the hot breakfast, though it looked decent enough, but I did take one of the free "to-go" breakfasts which was convenient and easy
--Clean room. The bathroom tiles could use some grout cleaning but otherwise it was adequate
--Free internet...a nice perk!
--Very very good air conditioning

Cons:
--The biggest con for me was the outdoor bar next to the pool. My window faced the pool, and the bar was VERY loud until about midnight. It was supposed to close at 11 but stayed open since there were people there. People screaming, music, etc. And this was on a Tuesday night! A related negative of the hotel would be that there isn't any nightlife nearby to speak of, so everyone just goes to the hotel bar. If staying at the Hampton, I'd highly recommend requesting a room that doesn't have a pool view.
--As noted above, there isn't any nightlife and very few restaurants to speak of in the vicinity. There is no restaurant in the hotel at night. Your only options are to order in, drive to the Doral mall (nearby, but not walking distance), or have the shuttle bus take you somewhere and then pick you up later.
--The pillows are very thick and hard...if you like flatter, softer pillows...bring your own or stay elsewhere
--In my room, the desk was right next to the air conditioning, and since the air conditioning is so good, I couldn't have it on while working at the desk. So, I couldn't turn on the A/C until I went to bed. Minor point, but thought I'd mention it

• Liked — Shuttle bus, caters to business travelers, air conditioning in room is excellent
  • Disliked — Pool bar is way too loud and open too late for a weeknight
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room that doesn't have a pool view if you want some peace and quiet
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I recently stay at the Hampton Inn at the Doral area, right off the Florida Turnpike, and I have stayed at a few Hampton's before and they all good, I beleived this one was Great!, the staff was great, the rooms- I stayed in a suite that had a kitchen, was very clean and the bar was a good thing to have. My business is around this area, I will stay there whenever I have to go to Miami to work.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

This is the last of 5 hotels my family and I stayed in during our 2 week trip to Florida and we were very impressed with the standards of this chain of hotels.

We tried to get in the other Hampton Inn that was nearer the airport but it was full. However, this place was fine. Exceptional levels of cleanliness, the staff were brilliant and extremely helpful, even though we only stayed for the one night. Out of the five hotels, this had by far the most comprehensive breakfast which
was very well presented and not laced in sugar! They also had free internet access on 2 PC's which kept my kids quiet all morning as we waited in their lobby. You have to vacate your room by 11am and we did not need to leave for the airport until 1pm. They very kindly let us stay in their comfortable reception area and even provided free coffee!

We had a twin bedded room which only cost $157 for the night which was very reasonable indeed. We can highly recommend this hotel and if we go to the States in the future, I am going to seriously look at staying at this chain of hotels - they have put a lot of thought into them as to what a customer wants...

PS There is a Tony Romas just up the road as well!

vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

Our family stayed here for 3 nights in March and found the staff really helpful and the room was clean. We used the shuttle to the airport and really enjoyed talking to the driver. We also appreciated the availabiltiy of a washer/dryer as we used them before heading off on our cruise. Only one small complaint was I found the one bedroom suite to be a bit cluttered with too much furniture. Anyways the room was clean and would definitely recommend it. If your planning to stay here before a cruise, the taxi to the port was $46.

• Stayed March 2006
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

Customer service was great... definitely a good hotel for the price... if you are used to a Westin, W or something along that lines, this is not for you. Good basic hotel. Clean, a little on the older side, but free shuttle, breakfast, and workout room!

Stayed March 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

We came in at night, and we were taken care of instantly! we flew in from American Arlines, we called the hotel and they had a pick up van there in 15 mins. I believe Nathan and Albert or Alex i forget who was at the front desk, checked us in, and upgraded us to a suite right away! overall outstanding service and very nice property.

• Stayed January 2006
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

I've stayed at many Hampton Inns around the country and found this location to be one of the better ones. Basically, everything you would expect from a Hampton Inn plus more. I am a bit biased though, because I feel that Hampton Inn is the absolute best chain in the mid/high-budget category. Higher end chains generally do not offer free hot breakfast, wireless internet, and parking (even at airport locations).

I appreciated some of the extras offered at this location, which are not always present at other Hampton Inns, such as the cookies at reception and a nicely-sized business/computer center. There was even a tiki-bar at the pool that served food.

Internet worked fine in the room and the bedding looked new, was comfortable, and there were many nice pillows.

I have also stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami Airport/Blue Lagoon which is highly ranked at this site and generally charges higher rates. This Hampton Inn Miami West, to me, seemed to be just as good as the Airport/Blue Lagoon location. I believe both have a free airport shuttle.

I will certainly stay at this location again.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Miami-Doral/Dolphin Mall? Share your experiences!