“Gorgeous property but the staff needs to improve” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 131 hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Gorgeous property but the staff needs to improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is one of the nicest properties I have ever been to. Amazing concierge lounge, great pool on the 19th floor, best gym I have seen in a city hotel, fantastic room and view, amazing bathroom, indoor tennis court on the 19th floor, virtual bowling, etc.

However, the staff needs some real hospitality and service training. My kids ordered ice cream at the lobby restaurant and it took 30+ minutes to put ice cream in a bowl (there was about 5 other tables eating). There was broken glass shattered in our tub and I notified the front desk - you would think that would get taken care of right away and nobody EVER came to clean it up. They put us in a room that was closest to the ULTRA music festival (outdoor DJ-techo festival that goes till 12 midnight) - I checked in with a 5 and 7 year old.

Concierge staff though was very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

638 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Turkish first
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was very impressed by this hotel. As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, we were greeted by the valet and the bellhop who immediately helped us with our luggage. We went to the reservations counter and were greeted by a very professional and friendly young lady (I wish I had asked her name). Since we needed two adjoining rooms for our family of five, she upgraded us to two suites that were adjoining. They were absolutely huge and luxurious. My kids were so excited. The bathrooms were beautiful and very large (you could watch tv in the mirror) and there were large flat screen tv's in every room. Free bottled water, free wi-fi, and an espresso maker too. The pillows were heavenly, (I hate crappy pillows in hotels) and the beds were very comfortable. The pool on the 19th floor was great, it is outdoors and heated to a very comfortable temperature. I had to drag my kids out of it because they didn't want to leave. I saw an indoor tennis court there as well as a bowling alley. I suspect there were other things on the 19th floor, but I didn't have a chance to explore everything. The location is nice, we were walking distance to some fun restaurants where the atmosphere was very lively. I would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Miami.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here with my family last week and encountered the most disrespectful and dishonest hotel staff I have ever encountered in my life. Have travelled extensively throughtout the world and was shocked. Attempted to file complaints with management but found them to be pleasant but unable to take any constructive action. The hotel has a nice physical plant but rude staff and nonresponsive local management. Ultimately, contacted the CEO of Marriott who was responsive and customer oriented to my complaint but after my 18 year old niece and I were disrespected, lied to and laughed at by a hotel staff member, I will never stay at a Marriott Hotel again. Go if you want unprofessional service and incompetent management. Good luck!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sleepy Hollow, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I brought my family to Miami for a couple days and was researching online for nice hotels to stay in. I got a good deal on what seemed to be an amazing property, so I booked us to stay here. The hotel was very, very nice. Everyone was friendly, and the service was excellent. I could tell the place was designed more for the business traveler, and was not inherently family-friendly although families are certainly not discouraged. There was a magnificent pool, fitness center, virtual bowling, etc. The rooms were great - huge bathroom and living space, a desk, large television, and floor-to-ceiling windows. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling, no matter your circumstance.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for a night in April 2011 and wished we could have stayed longer. Clean hotel in an amazing city. We also did our first couples massage here, which was great! We loved Miami and this hotel! We would definitely return and would highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Checked in during music fest, mistake.
Here with family, thought we would stay downtown for Miami heat game. Mistake 2. Front desk very pleasant but disinterested and unwilling to help find a solution when we requested two double beds and all that was available was one king bed room. Here with two kids. Did not realize that double beds were "not guaranteed" when making reservation, then no roll away beds. Marriott website should be more clear. How is it possible that this is considered a "marquis" hotel? How can you run out of roll away beds? Looking forward to next leg of trip at ritz south beach, hope they know what service means!

• Stayed March 2013
SJU
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is downtown Miami, in the business area and it is a hotel geared towards high end business travelers. Our room was beautiful - amazing views of the city, modern, but warm with wood and brown décor, a huge television, espresso machine, big comfy bed, and very clean. The bathrooms are exquisite - marble everywhere, a soaking tub, tv in the mirror - my only complaint is they give you only two towels ! Seems a little stingy, especially if there are two people, showering at night and in the morning - there was plenty of storage room to leave an extra towel just in case.
The staff at the front door is super - always ready to help and they even recognized us the 2nd time in the door. Heard them helping many other guests also. The front door people are your first impression and they give a great impression.
The cocktails at the DB lounge are inventive and the ambience is nice, like a private club.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Miami? Share your experiences!