“VERY nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“VERY nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although I did not stay in this Hotel, I had the opportunity to spend the day with some friend that where. I took advantage of the invitation get away, relax and spend the day in good company. I was very impressed with energy of this Hotel. The whole place has a great vibe to it. Staff was friendly, hotel was clean and my friend's room was beautiful with some amazing views. My husband accompanied me during the morning for a couple's massage. Not only was the couples massage room spacious, and relaxing but I received from my therapist the best deep tissue massage I've ever had!!! They also have this really great tea (I had never seen the brand before) in their lounge area, . Since I live in Miami year-round, I didn't have a need to lay out on the beach, but did spend some time at the pool. The pool deck is very nice and modern. We finished the day by having dinner at a local ceviche place which was walking distance from the Hotel. I really enjoyed my day here and will definetely be recommending this hotel to family and friend that plan to visit Miami.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel after returning from a cruise. This is a new hotel, and it shows. We had a room on a high floor (27) with a nice view of the bay. The room was very spacious and very comfortable. There was a big HDTV (over 42 inches) across from the bed, and there was a TV in the bathroom mirror! The bathroom had a full tub as well as a separate stand-up shower with two showerheads. The room also had a keyboard and terminal with internet access to use in case you didn't bring your computer. It was a little slow, so we used our PC with the ethernet cable that was provided.

The gym was really nice. All modern equipment and very clean. We had a great workout. We also took a tour of the spa, but it was very pricey, and the staff had an attitude.

The pool area was nice, but we were there on a chilly day. In the winter months, it appears that high rises block the sun from the pool area for much of the day.

The food in the restaurant (345, I think) for breakfast was very good, but the service was pretty bad (very slow or non-existent).

The bellhops were very courteous and on time when we were about to leave. It was also nice that they did call us a cab, rather than try to make us go in a car service.

Room Tip: Try to get on a high floor that faces the river / bay area, where boats and yachts come by.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Traveled with my husband on business with a couple days tacked to the end for pleasure. Rooms are very large, clean. Biggest flat screen I've encountered in a hotel. Mini business center right in room, including a desk top! Bathrooms large and well appointed. While this hotel is not on South Beach, it seems to be located near many restaurants and some shops; many within walking distance. It is not within walking distance to a proper beach if you are looking to swim or soak up the sun. The gym is top notch and the view from the stationary machines is fantastic. I do not use free weights, but there seemed to be an entire room of those. Why not 5 stars? Little things that should not go unnoticed in any hotel, but particularly a hotel of this caliber: housekeeping somewhat I attentive to details, such as not refilling the illy coffee pods and sugar, a coffee cup that was dirty and set out as clean and missing bath mats after cleaning. The first night I barely slept, as I felt as if I was sleeping in a hole. The next morning I decided to flip the mattress (they don't flip) and discovered that the problem was the very heavy feather bed that had not been fluffed between guests. Picture a mound in the middle of the bed and continually rolling toward the edge...all night long. I removed the featherbed. Finally, I would agree with other reviewers that the surrounding neighborhood seems tired. I wouldn't say unsafe, but definitely not vibrant (like NYC or SFO for example) or clean (like most MPLS, PITT, BOS, etc) not the fault of the hotel, but worth noting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New Berlin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed on the 34th floor facing the Miami river, floor to ceiling windows offer an great view of the water and 100' yachts. Tried to check in @ 3:00 our room was not ready for about an 1 hour. Worth the wait. We went to bar on the second floor hand the best hand breaded pecan crusted chicken breasts, A+, just perfect. When we finished a bite to eat room was ready.
Nice office area, great bed, large TV, HUGE bathroom, all marble.Very clean, good mini bar but $$$$$$$
The sink did leak, they sent some one, who just put the barbage can under it, well I( could have done that. So thye drip, drip, drip all night was not to good. For about $400.00 a night I don't think I should have to listen to that.
We had dinner @ the hotel also, very very good food and service, a little $$$, but you are in downtown Miami, so what do you expect. Nice area to walk around by hotel, safe, very nice walkway right on the water you can see cruise ships come and go. I would stay here again without hesatation.

Room Tip: The higher you stay the better the view, ask for rooms facing the water, sun comes in the room in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Norfolk, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was here last year for a business trip and had a great experience. The rooms are very nice and clean. The room service was wonderful too! The front desk was very friendly and accommodating. They were helpful at suggesting local places to visit and they even gave me a map of a nearby jogging trail.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dobbs Ferry, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband had a conference and we use that as an excuse to take a romantic weekend. The hotel is very nice, as you would expect. While our room didnt really have a great view, it was very large, comfy bed, great bathroom and quiet. They gym was fantastic and never crowded. The pool is small and because the hotel is in the shadow of other large buildings, the sunshine is iffy at best. While I would not choose this location over South Beach for a real vacation, we did have a couple of good meals (see my other reviews), it was a short walk to Brickell, and great if you want to see a Heat game. We had a lovely time and the entire staff was very pleasant and hlepful

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've traveled far and wide and stayed in some of the best (and worst) hotels in the world but this is my first review on TA with good reason. In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a bit of a hotel snob. Part of this was my parent's fault for spoiling me as a child and part of it is because being an above average sized individual (6'5'' -- 275lbs), it's often difficult to truly make myself at home outside of my home. This ceased being the case on my most recent trip to the JW Marriott Marquis Miami.

I'll start with why I'm so high on this property:

Customer Service (10/10):

First is the staff. If you've ever been to Miami, you'll know that some of the more "high-end" hotels tend to have a certain air about them. They know that you know their property is the jam and it shows. Simple requests are ignored or viewed with a palpable disdain and don't even think of asking for something like a room on a high floor with a view. This was not the case at the JWMM. The staff was helpful and friendly. Almost to the point of feeling like I was at a family reunion. We joked about everything from sports (not surprisingly a large chunk of the staff were Canes/Heat fans) to other members of the staff (Erika at the bar on the second floor is a fiesty one). Orlando, the concierge on duty for the duration of our stay was upbeat, pleasant and more than willing to lend a helping hand on the local happs.

The Property (12/10):

First let me say this: It's not on South Beach, so if you're hoping for that, look elsewhere. This hotel is in the heart of downtown by the Bay on Biscayne. Centrally located in the heart of Downtown Miami. The rooms were, in a word: DOPE. My buddy, who also had a room, actually called me from downstairs (he got the king bed, but I got the high floor) just to say "Man, this room is freaking sick". Guestrooms are large and spacious replete with the largest flat screen TV I have ever seen in a hotel room (60'' give or take) and upwards of 60+ TV channels (HBO East and HBO West --- again, never seen this). The bathrooms were something out of an R&B video sporting TV's in the mirrors, glass encased showers and full sized tub fit for a king. The furnishings, though minimal, kept with the overall decor of the property; think dark hardwoods and leather. My view from the 30th floor was partially obstructed by the building next door, but I could still get a glimpse of the water and the pool below. Also, the tree hugger side of me liked the fact that the room has a nifty little feature that requires you to put your room key in a little slot in order to keep the lights on. When you leave, take the key with you and the lights automatically turn off. Energy conservation... that's a good thing. Valet parking of $36 was a bit on the high side but not completely abnormal and as Erika, in a rare instance of non-fiestiness, validated my visiting friend's parking.

Amenities (8/10):

I didn't get a chance to check it out, but allegedly there was a regulation tennis court and a regulation basketball court somewhere upstairs. I also didnt' get a chance to check out the SPA or the restaurant as we spent most of our time harassing (read: flirting) with the bartenders upstairs. The in room amenities were well placed. Nice toiletries. Surprisingly cheap minibar items ($6 for a can of import beer, though expensive is actually quite affordable). Another added perk which I hope they continue to offer is FREE(!!!) in room WiFi.

Cleanliness (10/10):

The room and the property were immaculate. If it weren't for the other guests roaming the halls, I wouldn't have though the property was two years old.

Food (6/10):

If there was any downside I'd say it was the food. It wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it did leave a little to be desired. Still though, I've had worse meals at more "exclusive (read: expensive)" hotels. My buddy had breakfast both mornings and I'm not sure what his feelings were on that, but he didn't complain, so I'll assume it was decent.

Final Thoughts:

I was never a fan of Miami in the past. The fast life of South Beach was just too much for me and still is, so I'm surprised that a hotel could make me change my entire feeling on an entire city, but it did. I think I've found my Miami home. It's convenient to the beach if need be, but far enough away from the riff-raff/hustle and bustle to get a good night's sleep if you're in town for business. I'm definitely giving this place serious consideration as the locale for my (gasp) 30th birthday celebration. Maybe if I pay them enough money, they'll sell me the Presidential Suite and let me turn it into a condo. I guy can dream can't he...?

Room Tip: Four words: Bay View -- High Floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Miami? Share your experiences!