“Pre Valentine's Getaway-HEAT vs LAKERS” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Miami
New York
“Pre Valentine's Getaway-HEAT vs LAKERS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our second stay at the JW Marriott Marquis. We purchased tickets to watch the Miami Heat vs LA Lakers game on Sunday Feb 10,2013 at American Airlines Arena and couldn't imagine a better place to stay other than the JW Marriott Marquis hotel. My wife and I traveled with our 9 months old daughter. Prior to arriving to the hotel, I called the JW Marriott Marquis to confirm my reservation and to request a crib or playpen for our little one. I was told that the crib or playpen could not be guaranteed because the hotel was sold out. I was a little disappointed by that news but didn't let it kill my excitement for the weekend ahead. I booked a partial water view room with two double beds because my mother would babysit for us while we attended the game. To my surprise, when we arrived at the hotel to check in around 3:30pm, not only was our room ready but I was told that we were upgraded to a suite and the crib was already in the room. Awesome!! We went upstairs to our room, excuse me I meant our suite, only to find a beautiful suite which could be easily described as a one bedroom condo on the 24th floor. I was totally happy and excited with the room, because it offered enough space for us all. We were offered a little fridge which we greatly accepted. I was a little disappointed that we didn't have a view of the water, but we did have a beautiful view of the miami tower and in a distance, the home of the Miami Heat, AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA. The only disappointment with this room was the bed, we both woke up with back pain because the bed was a little lumpy, but we didn't let that kill our spirits, the JW Marriott Marquis will be our only choice when in Miami. We had an awesome pre-valentine getaway to Miami, great game and better yet, we left the blizzard in New York behind.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Turkish first
Woodbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband stayed and dined in this hotel for 24 hours before a cruise. The JW Marriot staff was amazing, above and beyond from any other hotel reception we have had in quite some time. I think the name of the lady at check in was Valencia. She was wonderful to us and answered questions throughout the day without genuine kindness. The GM, Florencia was also very kind in helping is with our reservation which had to be re-booked after hurricane Sandy.

The rooms are huge, spacious and clean. The water view was splendid. Though the experience of this hotel started to tank when I called the spa and spoke to Randall about booking a massage. He said he didn't know if he could schedule an appointment for a massage and said he would call me right back. 35 minutes later - no Randall. I called the spa again and got Randall - he apologized for not calling me, and booked me a 50 min massage at 4:00PM.

Initial plans were to sauna before my massage - but when I got in there I was freaked out to see giant toe nail clippings all over the benches. YUCK! So I went straight to the "relaxation lounge" where I was invited to enjoy tea. But alas - there was no hot water and virtual no amenities to speak of. Worst part - there were bout a half dozen dirty glasses and cups everywhere. Where the heck was the spa attendant?

The massage was great - but LATE! Massage began at 4:36 - 36 minutes late!!This is AFTER I went searching (naked in a bath robe) for an attendant or anyone to help - the place was empty. At the end of my massage I asked Randall to room charge the service with 20% gratuity for therapist. He said he could not room charge, he was out of room charge slips. (HUH?) I gave him a CC, and all my address, and all the additional info he needed to process the charge - waiting, waiting, waiting - he then says, ""Oops I entered something wrong -we need to start over!" - Forget it. - The relaxation I enjoyed vaporized!! Infuriating lack of customer service understanding!

Love the JW Marquis - Skip the Spa

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I don't mind paying a high price for a hotel but I don't want a soulless experience. The public areas are all very smart. The bedroom was very spacious and very well equipped with super large tv, desk with computer, the well appointed marble bathroom, which even had a tv. Great view of Miami harbour etc.
I checked out the breakfast but didn't partake as it was pretty bog standard, I was expecting something a little special.
There is a pool but it's often in shade due to the buildings close by.
The hotel is situated close to downtown Miami an area you need to be a little careful in however if you head down Brickell Ave this area is quite pleasant.
The hotel staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
westchester, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at the Marriott, he was there for a conference. The hotel has a DB Bistro restaurant, which was great. The rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel is downtown Miami, but there was a path across the street that leads to a park along the waterway. I happen to have a manicure and pedicure in the spa, although it was pricey, it was one of the best mani/pedi's I have ever had.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bourne, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here recently for a conference and was delighted with the room, the views and the food. Only complaint was the spotty service at the Met Bar....overly attentive and then missing in action. Overall great experience. Not easy to find if you are not from Miami.....call for directions off interstate.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view of the cruise ships.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

2 night stay. Rooms are a little dinged up and the carpet should be replaced but overall, a nice hotel with excellent customer service. Good business hotel and good location. Mary Brickell Village is a nice collection of restaurants and bars and is only a safe 10 minute walk away.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott Marquis for two nights pre-cruise. The rooms were gigantic. We had a room with a partial view of the bay and it was great. We were upgraded to a executive room, with a very large screen TV and even a smaller on in the mirror in the bathroom. The room was very clean. But even more than the room, the service from the front desk to the bellmen was absolutely perfect. I would definitevely stay there again.

Room Tip: You will want a water view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Marquis Miami? Share your experiences!