“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Ottawa
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We booked this hotel for a pre and post cruise stay. Let me start off by saying I read the mixed reviews before booking and I thought I would give this "hotel" the benefit of the doubt. I know some people have high expectations, and therefore rate hotels lower than they deserve, but this one deserves it's low rating. Here are the reasons:

First off, they claim to offer deluxe rooms with Queen size beds - which is one of the main reasons I chose this hotel within this price range. Let me tell you that it was no way a queen but rather a double bed. We brought this up with the front desk and they argued that it was a Queen however I have a Queen at home so I know 100% it is not a Queen size bed. I think they are sincerely convinced it is by the way she argued with me, but I just wish I had a tape measure to prove her wrong! Not only was it the wrong size, but our bed sloped toward the ground on the right side so I never could get comfortable.

Also, a big feature I was looking for was a cheap shuttle to and from the airport to save on taxi fare. Both Expedia and the hotel's website claimed to offer a shuttle but after I booked and emailed them to reserve it they said it was no longer available.

Since I am pregnant plus a light sleeper on top of that, I emailed in advance requesting a quiet room on the top floor away from the street. They replied saying they could not accommodate my request since it's on a first come first served basis. Never have I encountered this with other hotels who are always willing to help.

When the hotel description says: "a unique blend of modern style within the walls of a classic historic landmark", that is code for old and dirty. The bathroom had mould, stains (see pictures) and ants crawling in through the window. The AC worked, however it constantly turned itself on and off every 5-10 minutes which kept me up throughout the night. The earplugs they provide helped with the outside noise but didn't block out the sound of the loud air conditioner. The hot water in the shower worked for me early in the morning but then when my husband took a shower after breakfast around 10am there was no hot water left.

As we were checking out, a police officer and a current guest of the hotel came in to talk to the lady at the front desk. The guest's car had been broken into that night in the hotel's parking lot and the cop came in to retrieve the security footage. The hotel stated that the camera was broken and therefore there was no footage available... Then when the cop and guest left the front desk area, the lady called whom I assume to be the owner and insinuated that the guest was a liar by saying his car must have been broken into somewhere else since it couldn't possibly have happened in their lot.

Overall, as you can see we were extremely dissatisfied with this "hotel", which is more like a cheap motel and by no means was worth $110/night. As such, we immediately cancelled our post-cruise reservation and booked at the Best Western on the Bay instead. Please save yourself the hassle and book somewhere else, even if you have to pay $50 more a night!

Room Tip: I would say ask in advance for a quiet room at the back on the 2nd floor, but since they just ignore...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
We apologize for any inconveience you may have experience during your stay with us.
It is unfortunate that you were not happy with your stay.
We are in the process of renovating our bathrooms and unfortunately due to the hotel being an historic landmark it is taking more time than we have anticipated getting approval from the city.
Unfortunately we can not guaranteet a room in the back area of hotel since we are a small property and we do our best to accomidate all guest request. In regards to the car that was broken into it was not broken into the passenger window had a crack but not broken and the employee never said the guest was lying what she said was we have security 24 hours who patrol the property and that she could not believe this could of happened at the hotel since we have been well established for over forty years and we never had a issue with our property or vehicles on our property.

Walter&Shirley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed here one night for pre-cruise. Broken facet, wall disintegrating wall in bathroom, cold linoleum floor, noisy - they even provide ear plugs in the room, TV on an antenna so most channels cut in and out . Never staying here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay, We were not inform that there wa a problem with your room. We have cable and do dont undertand what an antena had to do with your TV channels since our cable company has built our wiring undergraiund but we will contact our provider with the issue. We are a family own and operated property and have een well establish for over forty years we are a three star property and have been rated four by our guest.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here for an overnight stay pre-cruise. Retro is an understatement. Tap on bathroom sink was broken, TV was antenna so most channels were breaking up, wall was crumbling away in the bathroom, AC was barely keeping up. Would not stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is misrepresentation ! This is a Motel and a scruffy one at that. Without a car and having to use a bus or taxi to get anywhere is awkward to say the least but as always let the buyer beware. Pick somewhere downtown.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Best aspects: Retro decor, pool with lounge chairs, free internet computer in lobby, Wifi, helpful staff.
Not so good aspects: Bathrooms are a little dingy, AC was hidden in the closet and was a bit challenged to keep the room cool, really need a car to get anywhere from here - it is not near any main attractions - or a bus pass which cannot be purchased anywhere nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your klind review, We are happy to hear you were pleased with the comfort and quality of our hotel, and certainly look forward to your return.

Liege Province, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Dear people

I stayed in this hotel from november 17th till november 20th. This was the worst ever hotel i ever stayed in and i m truly honest and used to travel a lot in the usa to know and distinguish decent from horruble. Actually i m not always writing a comment on trip advisor but after that stay i feel myself obliged to do it to warn some of you. When i booked my stay the comments were and are normal that s why i ve decided to complete my booking but i do not understand such good comments when i was in that hotel. Fake ? I do not know or maybe there are some horrible rooms left for people like me. There were roaches and bugs in the bathroom very freaking. Pressure of the shower what a mess and effort to have hot water. Morning you can wait at least 10 min before getting hot water. Napekins with stains. Doors with blood staind Horrible noise for the front rooms near the reception during the night you can manage to sleep without earplugs. Too Far from miami beach with traffic jam especially (30 min). Breakfast with not a lot choices. Electicity plugs in bad use you can take electricity if you touch them. Surrounding is insecure but especially at the beginning of the blvd. I m very disappointed of that hotel this was my last hotel from a fortnight trip and would hope to enjoy my last days in miami. Photos are on the gallery

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay, We strive to become Miami number one choice hotel. We thank you for your review and will take care of these issues.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel was easy to find on Biscay Ave. Even though it is about 5 klms from Miami city, the local bus stop is right outside. There is a restaurant and second hand bookshop across the road and local stores and restaurants a couple of bus stops away. We went into the Marina every day and shopped, ate, and took a couple of city open bus tours of the city and South Beach. The hotel itself is Art Deco style both outside and inside, but is very clean, breakfast is included and adequate, and the reception staff are friendly and professional. They offered for us to use their office safe for our passports.

Room Tip: As this hotel is on a busy road, the road noise could be a problem for light sleepers.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, We are delighted to hear you had a memorable stay with us and are pleased with the comfort and quality of our property.

We certainly look forward to your next visit.
Walter&Shirley

Been to New Yorker Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!