“Now I know what a boutique hotel is!” 2 of 5 stars

New Yorker Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33138   |
Ranked #78 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Hamilton, Canada
“Now I know what a boutique hotel is!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I can't imagine how people and trip advisor gave it such a high rating! It is in a scary part of town, it looks like they try and keep it up and our room certainly wasn't up to a decent level! First time I ever had the air conditioner in a closet!
On the plus side, Mimi tried to make everything right for us and the breakfast of cereal, juice,coffe, buns and bagels was fine.
Go here only if you need a cheap hotel in between flights.

Room Tip: I don't think there is one but ours was main floor facing the street and they supplied us with 4...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our property. We are a beautiful property and have been well established and kept up for forty years. None of our rooms have air condition in a closet what we do provide for our guest is a separate control unit for each room so that our guest can control their own air condition. We are located on a main highway in a transitional surrounding. We are a three star hotel and was rated a four star by four guest.

Walter&Shirley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Key West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a great hotel if you don't have to be right in the middle of the South Beach action. Parking on-site. It's on Biscayne Blve (US 1), but not too noisy. Rooms have small fridges and are very clean. The breakfast buffet is generous, so you won't have to eat doughnuts!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
We are delighted that you were satisfied with the comfort and quality at our property.

looking forward to your future visit
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This review is from our stay a while back for two nights (Dec.3rd - 5th of 2011), but I was looking through some pictures and notes recently. This place is great. It is very reasonable for Miami especially during Art Basel (part of our visit) which can really drive up the prices. We split our stay in Miami between two hotels which helped keep the cost down. As soon as we arrived we received great customer service and were given our room in the back of the hotel facing the pool area. One nice thing here is there is free parking too which makes it easy if you are renting a car. Our room was tidy, clean and simple. There is lots of space in the closet for your luggage and clothing too. The bathroom was a little tight, but worked fine for us. Another thing is this hotel is one of the few in Miami that did not have bed bug problems which is very rampant in Miami and Miami Beach, which was also why we stayed there. This is a huge problem in DC where we live, so when we arrived I thoroughly checked out the room beforehand and there was no signs of this at all. One thing for sure is the walls are thin as others have said, but we are used to hearing neighbors in DC. At one point the first night we could definitely hear some wild sex moaning going on in one of the rooms above us! They leave you some ear plugs in the room though, so we just used those and slept fine. The moaning didn't last too long anyhow...

We found staying in Miami (city) to be very convenient and easy for us as well to get to the Art Basel show. We were concerned about how long it might take to get to Miami Beach and back, but it was really easy. From what I understand the hotel is located in a neighborhood called "Little Haiti" due to all the Haitian immigrants moving into that part of town at some point. Contrary to what others have said we felt fine walking around at night and found a really nice restaurant down the road called "Balans". They had really good asian-fusion style food and it was very reasonable as well. The restaurant had a very pleasant atmosphere. It was a short walk down Biscayne Blvd to get there. There also was a small convenience store a block down from the hotel that is easy to pick up late night snacks from. One thing is weird though is that the store sells "six packs" of beer that are literally 12 packs cut in half and wrapped in packaging tape. Maybe this is a local thing?

Our breakfast was free and tasty in the pleasant courtyard of the hotel. It's a great little oasis to sit and take in the morning under the palm trees and walled garden before you go out for the day. They had fresh bagels, cereal, bananas, coffee and lots of other drinks as well.
The pool looked pretty inviting, but unfortunately we never got to try it.

All in all I would definitely stay at the New Yorker again. It's a nice and easy way to stay in Miami.

Room Tip: Maybe try to see if you can get a room on the pool side of the hotel. It is probably a little quiet...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
We want to thank you for your kind review and are delighted you were pleased with the comfort and quality needless to say all of our great amenities we offer to our guest at our property. We strive to become Miami's number one choice hotel for travelers and with the the ratings from our guest were on the way. We certainly look forward to your next visit with us.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The New Yorker Hotel is a vintage hotel on Biscayne Boulevard, host to many budget motels. It stands out from the street as better maintained than many of its neighbours. The personnal was very helpful when I found out I made a mistake with by reservation and accomodated me nevertheless. The room was in the back of the hotel and I wondered about the ear plugs provided on the night stand. I guess the were provided to drown out the noise of the AC unit that resempled a jet on take-off. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the bathroom small. Complimentary continental breakfast was served al fresco in a brightly painted courtyard by a cheery staff member. If on a budget it is a good place to spend a night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, We are a family own and operated property who has been established for the past 45 years and continuing to strive to become Miamis first choice hotel for travelers.
Our friendly staff are great they go above and beyond to accomidate our guest.

Looking forward to your next visit,
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

During my initial booking I spoke to Cynthia. Beautiful person! I sent a compliment in for her after speaking to her. Her customer service was impeccable. I try to support small family owned business. Plus you couldn't beat the price. The problem came in when I tried to cancel. I could not cancel online and when trying to contact the hotel there was no response. I was finally able to reach someone (Mimi) around 4pm. Mimi impolitely explained to me that the cancellation had to be done by 1pm. Understandable policy, yet, I explained to her that I tried to call with no success. That I went into a meeting then called then attempted to reach them again right after. Her response: "I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do for you hunny". I am a customer, not a friend. Calling a client "hunny" and not by their name is highly disrespectful! That goes without saying what her demeanor was during the remainder of the call. Very unprofessional!;
laughing and conversing with others in the background while she was assisting me.

I intended on keeping the following reservation for the week later but the way I was treated on the phone by Mimi completely changed my mind. I am now in the process of canceling the following reservation that I will be refunded for and will be booking our stay elsewhere.

Customer service is the basis of any business. Please search other reviews on alternate sites for Hotel New Yorker and you will understand. I wish I would have done so myself. You too will realize that once the New Yorker has your funds, their customer service and professionalism severely declines. I find it quite interesting that they will follow the policy when it comes to deadlines and revenue. Yet there is no professional policy is placed for the customer service standard. I should have listened to my colleague in the first place and booked the 4 star but I insisted on supporting the local business. My mistake.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of the New Yorker Hotel we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately since you booked your reservation through a third party and was unable to cancel online this was not something the hotel could fix, as we have no access to their extranets and our employees would not have been able to cancel or even modify your reservation. In regards to our staff I apologize for any misunderstanding you may have perceived however our staff are fully trained and go above and beyond for our guests and being put into a situation that could not be fixed by the hotel our staff are trained to direct the issue to its proper destination in which she did.

We are a family owned and operated property for over forty five years and needless to say we are a three star property, rated a four star by our guests on other search engine review websites and these ratings were not only based on our property, cleanliness, amenities that we offer to our guest but also on our customer service provided by our staff.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Located at a busy road so quite noisy all day. Didn't have any trouble sleeping however, but I'm used to some noise.
+ Free parking at the hotel
+ Free fast internet (10mbit or something, steady connection and no stupid proxy boxes. Just plain internet connection)
+ Friendly staff
+ Comfy bed

- The neighbourhood feels a little 'unsafe' at night. I've been offered drugs several times.
- Not so clean. OK for me, but I know others would have a problem with that.
- Not many power sockets. In total my room had 4 sockets, but two of them were switched off when the light was off. The other two are used by the bed side lamp and the fridge. I ended up unplugging the fridge at night so I could charge my iPhone.
- Low water pressure, had to wait for hot water quite long.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, We are a beautiful property and we always try to fix any issues our guest may find to their stay but unfortunately due to our historic property we are limited to what we can change and what we can not.
We are the only Hotel that sits on the entire block Biscayne Boulevard.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The New Yorker Boutique Hotel is a retro looking structure that has been nicely remodeled. It is 1950's vintage but has all the modern amenities. The staff was very friendly, accommodating, and professional. The rates are very affordable for Miami and it is not too far from the action of South Beach. There are some very good and affordable restaurants (Balans, Jimmys Diner) within walking distance of the hotel. The rooms are not large but they are comfortable and they were clean. The only down side to the hotel is a limited amount of parking and the general area that the hotel is located in. I personally felt safe and comfortable there but some people may not.

Enrights
Columbus, OH

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, We are happy that you were pleased with the comfort and quality of our hotel. Our staff are very friendly and helpful and make all our guest feel at home.
We are located in a transitional neighborhood but we have been established for more than 40 years and are a safe property and its surrounding area.

Looking forward to your next vist
Walter&Shirley

Been to New Yorker Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!