“Good Hotel in a string of subpar establishments” 4 of 5 stars

New Yorker Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33138   |
Ranked #77 of 130 hotels in Miami
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Good Hotel in a string of subpar establishments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The New Yorker Hotel is a vintage hotel on Biscayne Boulevard, host to many budget motels. It stands out from the street as better maintained than many of its neighbours. The personnal was very helpful when I found out I made a mistake with by reservation and accomodated me nevertheless. The room was in the back of the hotel and I wondered about the ear plugs provided on the night stand. I guess the were provided to drown out the noise of the AC unit that resempled a jet on take-off. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the bathroom small. Complimentary continental breakfast was served al fresco in a brightly painted courtyard by a cheery staff member. If on a budget it is a good place to spend a night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, We are a family own and operated property who has been established for the past 45 years and continuing to strive to become Miamis first choice hotel for travelers.
Our friendly staff are great they go above and beyond to accomidate our guest.

Looking forward to your next visit,

595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

During my initial booking I spoke to Cynthia. Beautiful person! I sent a compliment in for her after speaking to her. Her customer service was impeccable. I try to support small family owned business. Plus you couldn't beat the price. The problem came in when I tried to cancel. I could not cancel online and when trying to contact the hotel there was no response. I was finally able to reach someone (Mimi) around 4pm. Mimi impolitely explained to me that the cancellation had to be done by 1pm. Understandable policy, yet, I explained to her that I tried to call with no success. That I went into a meeting then called then attempted to reach them again right after. Her response: "I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do for you hunny". I am a customer, not a friend. Calling a client "hunny" and not by their name is highly disrespectful! That goes without saying what her demeanor was during the remainder of the call. Very unprofessional!;
laughing and conversing with others in the background while she was assisting me.

I intended on keeping the following reservation for the week later but the way I was treated on the phone by Mimi completely changed my mind. I am now in the process of canceling the following reservation that I will be refunded for and will be booking our stay elsewhere.

Customer service is the basis of any business. Please search other reviews on alternate sites for Hotel New Yorker and you will understand. I wish I would have done so myself. You too will realize that once the New Yorker has your funds, their customer service and professionalism severely declines. I find it quite interesting that they will follow the policy when it comes to deadlines and revenue. Yet there is no professional policy is placed for the customer service standard. I should have listened to my colleague in the first place and booked the 4 star but I insisted on supporting the local business. My mistake.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
On behalf of the New Yorker Hotel we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately since you booked your reservation through a third party and was unable to cancel online this was not something the hotel could fix, as we have no access to their extranets and our employees would not have been able to cancel or even modify your reservation. In regards to our staff I apologize for any misunderstanding you may have perceived however our staff are fully trained and go above and beyond for our guests and being put into a situation that could not be fixed by the hotel our staff are trained to direct the issue to its proper destination in which she did.

We are a family owned and operated property for over forty five years and needless to say we are a three star property, rated a four star by our guests on other search engine review websites and these ratings were not only based on our property, cleanliness, amenities that we offer to our guest but also on our customer service provided by our staff.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Located at a busy road so quite noisy all day. Didn't have any trouble sleeping however, but I'm used to some noise.
+ Free parking at the hotel
+ Free fast internet (10mbit or something, steady connection and no stupid proxy boxes. Just plain internet connection)
+ Friendly staff
+ Comfy bed

- The neighbourhood feels a little 'unsafe' at night. I've been offered drugs several times.
- Not so clean. OK for me, but I know others would have a problem with that.
- Not many power sockets. In total my room had 4 sockets, but two of them were switched off when the light was off. The other two are used by the bed side lamp and the fridge. I ended up unplugging the fridge at night so I could charge my iPhone.
- Low water pressure, had to wait for hot water quite long.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, We are a beautiful property and we always try to fix any issues our guest may find to their stay but unfortunately due to our historic property we are limited to what we can change and what we can not.
We are the only Hotel that sits on the entire block Biscayne Boulevard.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The New Yorker Boutique Hotel is a retro looking structure that has been nicely remodeled. It is 1950's vintage but has all the modern amenities. The staff was very friendly, accommodating, and professional. The rates are very affordable for Miami and it is not too far from the action of South Beach. There are some very good and affordable restaurants (Balans, Jimmys Diner) within walking distance of the hotel. The rooms are not large but they are comfortable and they were clean. The only down side to the hotel is a limited amount of parking and the general area that the hotel is located in. I personally felt safe and comfortable there but some people may not.

Enrights
Columbus, OH

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, We are happy that you were pleased with the comfort and quality of our hotel. Our staff are very friendly and helpful and make all our guest feel at home.
We are located in a transitional neighborhood but we have been established for more than 40 years and are a safe property and its surrounding area.

Looking forward to your next vist
Nashville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The retro themed hotel was cutely decorated. Unfortunately it needs a deep cleaning and some cosmetic touch ups. The front door and bathroom door were grimy and either need to be cleaned or painted. The bathroom had black mildew on the shower walls and the hot and cold knobs were hollow because the fronts of the knobs were missing. There again, just a thorough cleaning and I wouldn't have felt the need to stand on a hand towel while showering. The carpet needed a cleaning as well. The bed was comfortable, so a good nights sleep wasn't a problem. It's great for just a night or two but wouldn't book a lengthy stay. I was disappointed because the room was cutely decorated but the lack of cleanliness detracted from that. I'm a big believer of clean is cheap and easy to achieve. Something else we noticed is there was no climate control in the room, which it was cool the night we stayed so the fan was enough but if was summer it could be a problem. There is a fridge in the room which is a plus. We aren't swimmers so can't comment on the pool and didn't have the breakfast.

Room Tip: Book a room away from the road out front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the comfort and quality of our hotel.
We strive to become Miamis number one choice hotel and will certainly fix the issues that you mentioned in your feedback and look forward to your return visit on your future holiday.

Tulsa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Very pleasant stay, very friendly and accomodating staff and owners. Iron/ironing board in every room, as well as a hair dryer. I chose this hotel after viewing the HGTV makeover which was completed in 2011. It seems the New Yorker has continued with the changes and suggestions made by Anthony. My room was a couple of doors down from the office and I was wary of not being able to sleep well- but didn't hear a thing. Slept very well , in part due to the great bedding and pillows. Very nice breakfast patio, and a nice place to hang out to relax or read. I did try the pool area which was well appointed but it was too cool and rainy during my stay. I was very fortunate to attend New Yorkers' Christmas party, all guests were invited and many attended. It was a great party, wonderful and plentiful food, lots of interaction with staff and guests. While I have stayed in fancier places for the same price, I was not disappointed with my stay and would do so again. I grew up in the era of 50's hotel/motels and this brought back memories of my 1961 stay in Miami. New Yorker was clean, quiet, friendly, with a shuttle from the airport, near the cruise port, shared a taxi with other guests to the port. What more could I have wanted? My only suggestion would be a luggage rack in each room. Although there is no restaurant on site, there is an excellent restaurant just a block down the street.
Nancy S

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with the comfort and quality of our hotel.
Our staff are very friendly and accommodating and are familiar with our surroundings to guide our guest to the best places to visit and eat.
happy to hear you had a memorable stay and will certainly look forward to your next visit.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

GREAT HOTEL, I WONDER WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE STAYED HERE IN THE 50,s the price was right, nice bedding, did not have to use earplugs, stayed next to pool, you can tell they are trying to keep up maintenance as they were always working on something, loved the breakfast, and the smiling face of charles, it was nice to have staff there at all times, so cozy, sinthia was a sweetheart, helpfull and very friendly, all the staff did a great job! if your looking for the RITZ HOTEL,then book there, if your looking for friendly, homey, small, comfy, and fair price, this is the hotel. Jimmy,s Diner 5 blocks to your left, good home cooked meals. good price childrens consignment store across the street . had a great 3 day stay. all new pool furniture on its way, bet it will look great.

Room Tip: back rooms near the pool, lower rooms no stairs to climb.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Happy to hear you were pleased with the comfort and quality at our hotel, we are a hidden gem :)
We certainly look forward to your next stay.

Walter&Shirley

Been to New Yorker Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!