“Still Great the 2nd Time!” 4 of 5 stars

New Yorker Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33138   |
Ranked #79 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Toronto, Canada
“Still Great the 2nd Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Free Breakfast, Free Parking, Free Internet! This was my second time staying here. Friendly staff, cool rooms and comfortable beds. Only downside is the area isn't the greatest but the hotel is safe. Rooms can be a little noisy in the mornings.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool, they are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your great review, We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the comfort and quality that we provide to our guest..

Looking forward to your next arrival
Walter&Shirley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Miami can be a hassle to visit and is not known for amenities and great customer service, but the New Yorker really stands out. It is unassuming to look at but is located in the Mimo district undergoing a terrific renaissance and therefore is walking distance to some great restaurants and shops. The refurbished rooms still have the charm of the old - stylized and colorful bathroom tile, atypical closets - with modern touches like free wi-fi, large and comfortable beds and great art and mirrors. Staff are very friendly and responsive and parking is free and ample. Free breakfast on the courtyard patio sets the mood for relaxation. Was worried the street would be noisy but we were undisturbed the 3 nights we were there. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: We had two upper floor rooms that faced Biscayne Blvd. without any noise problems.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We are happy to hear you had a great stay and will be returning to our hotel on your future visit to Miami.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Newly renovated. Fun and modern decor. They have free buttons at the front desk with singers such as Elvis, Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse. Free breakfast every morning. Free wi-fi throughout the property. Pool is open 24 hours (yay!). Mimi at check-in was extremely friendly and helpful. It's a small property so there isn't a bell or door staff. Mimi walked me to my room and explained the property to me. Towels for the pool are offered at the front desk 24 hours. Free breakfast in the morning on their adorable patio. There is a fridge in the room that allowed me to stock up on a little bit groceries for the week. Nice size closet. Flat screen TV. Remote control for the crazy, strong fan and light. The bathroom is tiny and the shower is even smaller. But the water was always hot and water pressure excellent. I was greeted by Charles' friendly, smiling face every morning for breakfast. I read a lot of reviews prior to my stay about the walls being thin. This is very true. They even supply you with ear plugs on the bed side. However, I didn't need them. But they are available.

I highly recommend the New Yorker. It's conveniently located on Biscayne Blvd and 65th street. Within minutes of both downtown and Miami Beach. It's a trendy, up and coming area of Miami known as the Mimo district. Walking distance to a few restaurants. Room was only about $60 per night. Unheard of in Miami.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the second floor facing biscayne.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We like to thank your for your kind review.
We are delighted that your stay was memorable and that you were pleased with the comfort and quality that we provided to you.

Looking forward to your next visit
Clearwater, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a two-and-a-half star motel, not "a three star Hotel with a four star rating", which the owner seems to like to repeat. We picked this hotel based on the TV show, the location, the price and the high ranking here. While not overall unhappy with our stay, I'd definitely consider the hotel overrated and over-hyped.

Our room wasn't available for early check-in - something which we requested in advance but wasn't accommodated - not expected but hoped for, and only attempted once we actually arrived (only then Gerry called and asked house-keeping to get it ready early). Upon check-in, we had a nice chat with Gerry at the front desk. We chatted about the Hotel Impossible episode, and she emphasized that the show was at the beginning of the series when it still was low-budget. She pointed out that they only spent money on the car advertising overlay and the breakfast courtyard remake, and nothing was done to the rooms. I think that she meant it as a brag that the rooms didn't need improvement, but I see it as more of a limitation of the show budget since there are so many little improvements that our room begged for.

While we waited for our room to be readied, we walked a block down the street for lunch at Balans - a decent sit-down bistro for a burger, salad or sandwich. While there, we were treated to a street show - a nude hopped-up woman with a trailing entourage of buddies came out of the motel across the street, yelling in the middle of Biscayne Blvd. After a street fight with one of the buddies, a bevy of cops subdued her outside the restaurant. While somewhat amusing, it also points up the reality of the location of the New Yorker - among a row of low to mid-range motels on the main thoroughfare of Little Haiti in Miami. Not exactly a "Boutique" location, although convenient to South Beach and Downtown (if you are driving).

The room was quite clean and comfortable. The minimalist art deco decor was quite attractive. At the same time, the amenities of the room suffered dearly from the minimalism.

The bed was a full king (room 118) and quite comfortable, with decent king-size pillows and fluffy comforter. There were two chairs and small round glass-top table, one smaller glass-top bed stand and an inset mini-fridge with food cabinet above. A large flat-screen TV was nicely placed on the wall in front of the bed, where there was also an art-deco styled mirror. On the wall behind the bed was a large print with the cast of I Love Lucy - rather amusing and fitting.

Missing was a second night stand for the other side of the bed, any sort of clothes dresser, a microwave (not available on request, contrary to what was stated in the hotel description) and any sort of room information such as TV channel guide, instructions on turning on the overhead light (integral to the overhead fan - ours was off and it took us a couple days to realize that it existed and had to be turned on with a dedicated remote), area restaurants, etc.

There was a nice table placard which included info such as "free local and long distance calls", dial "0" to get pool tables from the front desk, etc. Just one problem - there was no phone in our room. When I inquired, I was told that they were at the mercy of the phone installation company, that hadn't gotten around to installing in all the rooms yet. Really? It's a small motel, not a big hotel. Seems like they would do all the rooms at once, not piecemeal over time.

The room also had a small changing room - about the same size as the bathroom. There was certainly enough room there for a nice chest of drawers. Instead, it only had a hand-constructed, natural(raw)-wood, open-face closet, with a clothes bar on the left side and two open shelves and a shoe rack on the right side. And that's all the accommodations there were for clothes storage. Minimalist. And the closet only had four hangars. Minimalist. There was one folding luggage rack (not two!). At least add a couple clothes hooks - put them into the wood beams at the sides of the closet if regulations don't allow them mounted on any of the other three walls of the changing room.

The bathroom was small, with a shapely pedal sink - a shape that meant almost no place to put toiletries. The toilet was tankless - no room in there for a tank - which also meant not even a tank top to put toiletries. The one towel rack was behind the toilet, which meant the towels on it hung down behind the toilet, well within the splash zone. Why not mount it higher? Or on the wall space across from the sink? There was a corner towel step-rack occupied by the rest of the fresh folded towels. How about at least a couple towel hooks on the door.

The breakfast was decent with BJ's Club-quality food - three varieties of fresh bagels, brand-name cereals, coffee, tea, orange juice, milk, bananas, apples, cream cheese, butter and jelly. The same every morning. I'd put it one step above an average Day's Inn continental breakfast, and a leap below a "Boutique Hotel" breakfast, or even an average vacationer's hotel breakfast. No eggs (even hard-boiled), no cheese, no regular breads, no waffle-maker, no yogurt. Simple and decent, but not "four-star rating" worthy.

And finally we get to service. Besides my early check-in request that wasn't accommodated, after the first day I asked that no air fresheners (Febreeze) be used in my room since I am sensitive to artificial fragrances. The front desk clerk made a note in her computer (or pretended to?), and I also caught the maid in the morning and asked her directly. My request was ignored.

We checked out a day early due to a change in our travel plans. When I checked out, I was informed by Gerry that there was no refund for early check out. I knew this already since there was a line on the terms I was required to sign upon check-in that said that there are no refunds for early check-out. Gerry said that if I had told them the day before that I would be checking out early, they might have been able to give me a refund. I tried to suggest to Gerry that this should be made clearer on the web terms and conditions. I wasn't arguing for a refund, just making a suggestion for improvement. This was met with Gerry by bristle and reactive explanations of the 24-hour cancellation policy in the terms and conditions on the web. I tried to point out that a "24-hour cancellation policy" is different than an early check-out policy, and this ought to be clearer in the terms. This was met with more resistance and I was told I could call booking.com and they would tell me the same thing.

Sorry, Gerry - no, you were not listening to me as you insisted. A simple, "Thanks, I'll tell the owners about your suggestion" would have been sufficient. All your debate that the terms on the web were stated properly were uncalled for and unnecessary. I had read and signed the paper at check-in - I knew I wasn't getting a refund for the one day. (And this incident is why I went to two stars instead of three - although two and half is where I'd put it if I could.)

In retrospect, I think I actually should get a refund for that day. On the web, it gives 24-hours to cancel a reservation or the first night's charge is lost. It doesn't give any early check-out terms - most hotels you can check out early with no penalty unless stated otherwise. Upon check-in, the terms I signed stated that no refund is offered for early check-out and the full reservation price would be charged upon check-in. Instead, I find out when checking out that the policy is actually that I could have gotten a day refunded if I had said something the night before - which I probably would have had I known. I was misled at both ends, costing me a night's fee.

The other points made in the other reviews are valid: noises penetrate the room (earplugs provided), parking is available but tight, price is quite reasonable for central Miami.

So, as much as this hotel strives to be something special, it really only achieves a better-than-the-run-of-the-mill-city-center-motel status. Clean, pretty decor, comfortable, decent price. Don't expect more and maybe it will beat your expectations. Maybe.

-Martin from Clearwater

Room Tip: Request a room in the back. Park in the side street spaces - a little less convenient (and possibly...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
We apologize for any inconveience you may have experienced at our property during your visit.
When you book a reservation through a third party in which you have and should you have to make a change with your reservation because of a change in your travel plans our staff who are fully trained and are aware of our policy direct our guest to the apporiate persons who can assist them with their modifications.
Our cancellation policy clearly states that for us to process a refund we are to be notified 24 hours prior to not the morning of.
Needless to say our check in time is 2pm and the guest service agent Geri went above and beyond to have your room ready for your early arrival as we do not guarantee early arrival due to our high demand at our property.
In regards to Geri"s comments on the show Hotel Impossible perhaps she was misinterpreted ,what she said was she simply was pointing out that our hotel did not need any changes other than the upgrade on our shuttle and breakfast area which Blance Garcia was a great designer and that Geri would have love to hire her for her own home and the best thing that the show did for our hotel was changed our MOTEL to HOTEL and that once the show was established and a hit they were going from hotel to hotel helping bussiness owners that were in need of a change.
And we are happy to inform Travel Channel that since our show our revenue has been amazing.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have been to Miami many times, this time I came with my brother and we were looking for somewhere affordable but somewhat close to the beach and the city. This was the perfect hotel! very friendly staff, free breakfast , the only down side is the noise..you can kind of hear everything. Besides that I am very pleased with my experience and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
We like to thank you for your kind review.
We are very hapy to hear that your experience with us was memorable.
Certainly looking forward to your return visit.
Thank you for recommanding us to your friends, we will provide the same excellant service and amenties that were provided to you.

Looking forward to your next visit
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel New Yorker on 8/21/12 in room 111. The hotel has been recently remodeled. My room had flat screen tv, wifi and a refrigerator. The hotel is very nice and clean. The shower was hot and has good water pressure, it was refreshing. The pool area is very nice, quiet and clean. The breakfast bar is in a courtyard. It was nice and clean. The food was fresh and the staff all over the hotel was polite and friendly. Location is everything. This place is 2 miles north of downtown Miami. The room rates are around $95 a nice. Other hotel near the New Yorker charge $260 a nice. Don't over pay. I will stay here again!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
We are a lovely property and we offer great amenties and customer service.
We are a three star hotel with a four star rating.

We certainly look forward to your next visit.
Walter,Shirley&Staff
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am shocked that this run down motel has gotten as many descent reviews as it did! I was there and although this place was featured on Hotel impossible, "it still needs some serious makeover work". I understand from watching the episode how much the owners love their property, however the truth is "it simply needs more"!!! The raw wood bed platforms look very no frills. The bathrooms are very outdated with dirty grout and missing towel racks. Everything from the lobby (that you need to be buzzed into) to the rained out yellow paper covers for the lights outside dining need to be renewed. Yes there is a pretty blue paint on many of the walls, but the "bug problem" CANNOT BE IGNORED!!! I had to look at four rooms before I found one that seemed acceptable. I am so sorry we did just not leave! The next morning my sister had been bitten 15 times by bed bugs! We nearly loss our minds that the bugs had been dinning on her all night and morning! I insisted that the owner come and see this for themselves, but the nice girls (the only thing nice about this place) at the front desk said they were not on the property. She did make a call to the owners and we were given a full refund. I nor my sister have anything to gain by lying as suggested by the owners when they replied about my sister review. It is nearly 2 months later and she still has the marks from being bitten. I don't know what other people consider pleasant, beautiful or nice, this place is none of those things. I actually took pictures of the bugs on the beds! YUCK!!!!! This is no laughing matter! My sister Tina s. wrote her review earlier. Take heed!!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We apoologize that your sister had an unpleasent stay with us.
On behalf of the New Yorker Hotel we take our review, comments, complaints seriously and make every effort to correct and avoid negative reviews against our property.
We have never had an issue with bedbugs, and once we were inform of this we hired an outside company to check every room in our hotel and needless to say he inform us we did not have bedbugs, however that is is possible that bedbugs can be transported to our hotel from prior guest luggages but he did not find any bedbugs in this hotel.
As for our raw wood beds, we have each platform built by a private company and are of natural wood.
As for the bathrooms being outdated we are always seeking new ideas to update our property however since we are an historic property there are limitations on what we can change and what we can not.
And we certainly follow all guidelines and required licenses to obtain our permits.
We strive to become Miami number one choice hotel ,
And our guest have made that possible for our property with their great reviews and memorable stays.
We have stood by our name and policy 100% for decades and will continue.

Sincerely
Walter&Shirley

Been to New Yorker Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!