“Cute hotel in fun neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

New Yorker Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6500 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33138   |
Ranked #71 of 114 Hotels in Miami
Austin, Texas
“Cute hotel in fun neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the New Yorker for 4 nights and had a really good experience. This is a nicely refurbished vintage hotel built in the 50's. It's no frills but met all of our needs. The room was clean and comfortable, and the pool was right outside our door. The room wasn't completely quiet, but I didn't feel like it was noisy enough to warrant sleeping in the earplugs that were provided. It's no worse than an apartment. The only thing that was weird is our fan and fan light would occassionaly turn on and off on it's own. The fans are controlled by a remote and our theory was that possibly the remotes can control fans in neighboring rooms?? Ghost?? I'm no electrician. It didn't bother me too much but was strange.

The girls that worked at the front desk were super helpful. They suggested a tour company to take everglades, city and boat tours and also recommended places to eat in the neighborhood. You can tell that the employees care about their jobs. They were all very pleasant and always remembered our names.

I was disappointed that the shuttle did not run to the port. I was in Miami for my sister's wedding aboard a cruise ship and one of the reasons she and I chose to book rooms in this hotel is we thought the shuttle would take us. The front desk called us a cab and it cost about $15, if I remember right.

The hotel provides breakfast of bagles, cereal, fruit, coffee and juice in a really cute patio. The employee who worked breakfast every morning seems like the nicest guy. Always a smile on his face and something pleasant to say.

One of my concerns when booking this hotel was the neighborhood. Some of the reviews complained that the neighborhood was sketchy. I found the neighborhood to be great. We ate most of our meals at places that were walking distance from the hotel. I LOVED every meal I had. There are also a lot of cute vintage shops close by. There are bus stops close to the hotel that we used a couple times and found to be very convenient.

This hotel isn't five star and the neighborhood's not the country club. It may not be for everyone, my mom for instance, but I think that anyone who books with the right expectations will absolutely love their time at the hotel. It was a cool place to stay in a fun neighborhood at a great price.

Room Tip: Rooms not facine Biscayne Blvd are quiter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We like to thank you for choosing the New Yorker Hotel for your choice hotel during your holiday to Miami and are delighted that you were satisfied with the comfort and quaility at our property.
We strive to become Miami's number one choice hotel with the great service and amenities that we offer to our guest.
In regards to your feedback on our shuttle to the Port we are certainly working in a timely fashison to obtain all documents required to do so, but it is taking longer than we anticipate.
However we do have all required documents and continue to provide shittle to and from Miami Aiport.
Yes our staff are very helpful in providing information to our guest on or around the surrounding areas.

Looking forward to your next visit
Walter&Shirley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife booked a room here for a trip far in advance, the cancelation policy was NEVER stated when booking, nor was it stated on thier website and when the trip had to be canceled, the hotel 100% refused to return any of the money. $250 simply taken from us, no sympathy as to why it had to be canceled, they just flat out refused and told us it was thier policy.

When I called to try and speak to the manager and explain the situation, she told me to "go ahead and take it to small claims" which I most certainly am. She also went on about how my wife was rude to her and that "she should call her boss and cause her problems at work", becuase of that comment I have also filed a complaint with the BBB. I don't like posting negative reviews but after my experience and several other horrible reviews I would say you'd do better sleeping in the airport than at the New Yorker. Avoid this hotel like the plague, one star becuase Yelp won't let me give zero.

Room Tip: Any other hotel in Miami is a better option.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We apologize that we were unable to refund you on your non refundable booking due to the policy we enforce when booking a non refundable reservation at our discounted rate,
Allow me to explain, When a guest books a reservation they are gven a choice to book a non refundable booking which clearly states no refunds no modifications at a lower rate that is provided to lock in their reservation.
Theother option was you can book at regular rate using no dicounted rate and are given 24 hour cancellation policy which is 100% refundable.
We are a three star hotel with a four star rating.
When our bussiness is being threaten with small claims or BBB we certainly feel that is not the kind of threats we deserve.
We are a family owned and operated hotel property and have been well establish for forty years.

Water&Shirley
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I really expected more from a hotel that was on the Show "Hotels Impossible". The beds were raw wood - no paint. We had a ball of hair on the bathroom floor. The bathroom door was dirty - hand prints all over the door. Parking, wow, do not park by the pool you will have to back all the way out to the street. Trust me this was no easy feat. Noise you heard everything in the rooms all around you. And not hotels fault but we had a family with several children above us, that would explain the ear plugs on the night stand. The only thing nice I have to say - The lady who checked us in and the young man at the breakfast bar were both very nice and pleasant. For the price we paid, not at all up to par. YUK

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We apologize on behalf of the New Yorker Hotel and disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.
The beds are of natural wood, and are beutiful and it would ruin the natural wood if we painted them.
As for the parking there are two ways in and out for our guest who choose to park in the back of the hotel, the staff can either open the gate or they can drive forward out as they did to get in. We also have an entire block for our guest to park as well as the side of our hotel.
We strive to become Miami's number one choice hotel and we take each guest review and fix to ensure our guest that we want to make everything perfect for them to have a memorable stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I got the chance of staying 2 days at this nice hotel, it was a really nice experience, everything ok i recomend it for lonley travelers or couples that want to share a big bed, recomended 100%. Nice service at front desk they are really kind, the room was really clean, the bed is beutifully comfortable and they have a great A/C in each room.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
We like to thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our trip advisor readers on your pleasent stay with us.
We strive to become Miamis Number One Choice Hotel.
Our staff are very friendly and have knowledge on and around their surrounding area to assist our guest with all and any information our guest should need that are not familiar with Miami.

Looking forward to your next visit,
Walter,Shirley&Staff
Swansea, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I stood here for a weekend and staff was friendly, rooms were clean and cheap. Better than expected. We booked here based on reading reviews and I am glad to leave a good review also. Will will definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We like to thank you for your kind review, and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are satified with the comfort and quaility taht was provided to you at our hotel.
We certainly look forward to your return.

Sincerely
Walter&Sirley
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently stayed here for 4 nights. The staff was wonderful! My flight was cancelled and I was a day late arriving. Not only did they pick me up at 11:00 at night but they extended my stay due to my late arrival. It was clean and very reasonable. I could hear everything around me but, they provided ear plugs. The breakfast area was very nice. Thanks Ms. Gerry and Mi Mi for everything!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
miaminewyorker, Owner at New Yorker Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, We are delighted to hear you had a memorable stay and look forward to your next visit. Our staff go above and beyond to provide excellent customer service.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Everyone at this hotel was super friendly. Both Mimis at the front desk and the young man at the Continental Breakfast were very helpful. They recommended two restaurants in the area (67th and Biscayne) which we tried: Balans (which was OK) and Blue Collar which was one of the finest meals I've eaten in a long time and I'm a foodie. The room was super charming. We loved the picture above our bed and the room was very clean and the bathroom smelled like bleach (which I actually like because that means I didn't have to worry about how clean it was. It's in Little Haiti and I could hear some Roosters when we were outside (I actually thought this added to the charm). We found it very convenient and accessible for what we were doing in Miami -- visiting friends and hitting South Beach for dive trips. We really like this little hotel as it reminded both of us of the hotels from our respective childhoods and trips to Florida. Pool was very nice too -- not big but clean. You do hear people upstairs but since I'm a city dweller it didn't phase me. The breakfast was nice and a great addition...the garden area is super nice too. We were in back by the pool and it was quiet and very nice. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one back by the pool....very, very nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review, We are please that you were happy with the comfort and quaility we provide to our guest needless to say our staff are outstanding in providing customer service.
Due to our limitation on what we can do to prevent noise are limited however we do provide top of the line earplugs to our guest.