“Great place to stay when visiting Miami for vacation or business” 4 of 5 stars

Fortuna House Apartments
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   432 NE 26 Street, Miami, FL 33137   |
Ranked #6 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Los Angeles, California
“Great place to stay when visiting Miami for vacation or business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Finding short-term (1-3 months), furnished rentals in Miami is very difficult but thankfully we found the Fortuna House, a charming building of 20 or so studio apartments in a quiet neighborhood north of the downtown area. As stated in other reviews, the housekeeper was extremely friendly and helpful. The apartment was reasonably appointed, with a full kitchen and all the necessary cooking utensils. Any time we needed something that wasn't in the unit, such as a broom, space heater, or iron, they were immediately brought up to us. Parking on the street was fairly painless, though if returning late in the evening you might have to park a block or so away but we always found a spot. There are laundry facilities on site and they worked most of the time--on a couple of occasions the machines would not start but a quick call to the service company and I was issued a refund check for the lost change within a week. It seems the laundry facility is shared with non-residents of the Fortuna House as well. Finally, only a couple really minor issues. The front door was often left to slam shut (and it was pretty loud!) and could probably use a more effective damper. Second, the apartments are located right under the flight path for the Miami International Airport--it didn't bother us very much, but on east flow days it can be quite loud until 11pm or later with jets at full power taking off from the airport and flying overhead. As for getting around town, there is a Walgreens only a couple minutes away and a Publix just north of the 112/195 interchange, about 7-8 minutes north. Getting to Miami Beach is a breeze at under 10 minutes (without traffic) and almost everything in downtown (Bayside, Brickell area, etc) is easily accessible within 10 mins as well. This is truly a great spot when you need to stay longer than a week or two but less than 3 months.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Fortunahouse, Manager at Fortuna House Apartments, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
We are so happy that we were able to provide you with excellent customer service and that you were comfortable in the apartment for three months! We did tighten the door-stopper of the front door, and now it does not slam anymore. We encourage you on future visits to report any and all maintenance issues to the manager, so that we can readily have them fixed. No need to hear a slamming door, when you can get it fixed - all you had to do was let us know. Regarding the air traffic, we are located 8 miles away from Miami Int'l Airport, and are not situated under the landing/takeoff air path. We have had only a handful of complaints in regard to this in the past 8 years and we are sorry that you were sensitive to the planes. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and positive review, and we hope you'll come back and visit us soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I attended a Conference in Miami that was held on South Beach. Some of my coworkers stayed at the Delano Hotel so I got to really compare a hotel stay versus a vacation rental. Boy did I save money! My apartment at the Fortuna House was really big compared to the hotels and I am so happy I opted the budget route this year. It was very affordable and had a gorgeous fully equipped kitchen. The apartment was decorated nice, was really clean, and was only a 5 minute drive to South Beach. I was able to park my car for free there. Parking at the Delano would have cost me $40 per day! There was a lot to do in the downtown area near the apartment. There was a very nice shopping center, Midtown Shops, that was a 10 minute walk away and I really liked exploring the area. It was really charming. It was nice just staying in a cute cozy and quiet place away from all the madness but still close enough to so much entertainment. The service was really good and they were really attentive to all my needs. This house is charming & a little hidden gem! Definitely coming back & will stay at Fortuna House again. I highly recommend it.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I frequently visit Miami for business and usually have more than one issue with my lodging experience. I decided to try this location on a recommendation, and I am more than pleased that I did. Not only was it exceptionally clean and comfortable, the rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated. it is conveniently located 10 minutes from the airport, 10 minutes from south beach and within walking distance of shops and good restaurants. Additionally there was free parking-which does not exist in Miami. The woman whom lives and takes care of the guests, Onilda, was sweet, warm, and extremely accommodating. Ester, whom I booked the stay with, was excellent and helpful with all my questions. Overall exceptional experience. I will never stay at another hotel in Miami if I can help it. I have found the perfect stay. Thank you Ester and Onilda, you have earned my business and praise. You will be seeing me again.

Wichita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

The location for our purposes was excellent. We found the room very clean and newly remodeled. The small kitchen and dining area served our needs well. The sweet little lady who took care of the place was always ready to help. For example, providing an extra heater on a cold day without us asking for one.

My wife is very picky about clean accommodations and was thrilled by this small suite. The bathroom was small but clean. Towels were provided and bedding was more than adequate.

All and all, a pleasant stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I moved from Dubai to Miami as a student and chose Fortuna as my initial accommodation. The lady from the real estate company is named Esther and is very kind and helpful, as well as the old lady who lives at Unit 2 and takes care of the building. During my 11-day stay, I felt like I'm staying at my own house and didn't feel like I'm gonna move out from there soon. The rooms are great value for money and I highly recommend Fortuna!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Fortuna House during the week of the International Yacht Show in Miami. Our friends rented a separate apartment on the same floor. We had a fantastic time and would absolutely recommend the Fortuna House to other travelers. The 2 apartments we got were both equally clean and very nice. The parking was very convenient and location ideal. We got to South Beach in 5 minutes and walked to a delicious Cuban restaurant just 1 block away. The building was very quiet and we definitely were able to relax on our vacation. The rooms were bigger than I expected and enjoyed cooking in a few nights. The housekeeper who lives in the building was so sweet to offer us anything we needed. She even waited outside all day for a package of insulin we were waiting on from UPS and gave it to us when we got home that evening. We can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
TheLWord, Manager at Fortuna House Apartments, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
I am so pleased that you and your friends all enjoyed their apartments. We do put a lot of love and care into all of our rooms to ensure that our guests feel like they are at home. You were all truly a pleasure to have around. Glad to hear that you found the parking very convenient and that getting to South Beach so quickly was a major plus for you .The housekeeper sends her regards and said she was happy to help in any way possible. Hope to see you back next year!
Montevideo, Uruguay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Fortuna House Apartments. Though we mostly used the apartment just for sleeping, everything was exactly as shown in the web page and the housekeeper Ms. Onilda was always very helpful.

Fortuna House is in a near Midtown Miami Mall and the Miami Design District, which was important to us. I stayed with my mother who is 84 and it was just what we were looking for.

It's a no-frills accommodation that has, in my opinion, a very adequate price/quality relationship.

• Stayed December 2010
We were really pleased to see your kind review and we're happy to know that you and your mother had a pleasant stay. It is wonderful to hear that you found that the pictures posted on our website are a true indication of what the accomodations looked like. I know how comforting it is when you arrive to a room that looks and feels exactly like you had expected it to. We are really mindful of that and appreciate your satisfaction with that and also with the value of the room.Stylish, affordable apartments with great service is what we strive to deliver. Please come back and see us again . You and your mom are always welcome and we appreciate all your nice comments.

Been to Fortuna House Apartments? Share your experiences!