“Diamond in the Rough” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Miami, Florida
“Diamond in the Rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I travel quite a bit, so typical hotel rooms do not interest me. I always seek boutique hotels and decided to give Fortuna House a try. It has the look of an apartment complex on the outside with a nice door. The hall is unassuming. But when I entered my room, I was met with a clean modern decor. It had a full kitchen with dishes and cookware. (The teacups were so cute lol.) I felt as if I was visiting my own place. I felt right at home. The staff was very accommodating, even though everything I needed was in my room. The motto on their site says "stay like a local" and it lived up to it. If you want luxury, (which I find impersonal and flat at times) this is not your spot. But if you value the comfort of home even while traveling, then you will enjoy yourself here. It was affordable as well. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There are three floors and no elevator. Keep that in mind. It's very quiet. Very peaceful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Wohlen, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

The small apartment house is ok if you dont like it to much luxury.
The apartment itself is a 1 bedroom apartment. Good enough for 2 people and a small kid. You have a small kitchen area if you like to cook by yourself. The bathroom is also very small and more than 1 person inside is not possible. The house itself is very noisy. Everything is a bit old but clean. On the backside of the house are 6 laundry machines which run by quarters. The location is perfect to explore biscayne and Miami beach. It's around 25$ by taxi to the ocean drive. If you have a car there it's a good location to explore Miami and the Everglades. It's about a 3hour drive to key west.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Homestead, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My family and I rented 3 rooms at the Fortuna House for a weekend stay before boarding a cruise at the Port of Miami. The location was perfect. We hopped in a cab and we were there in 5 minutes, its just a few blocks away. We found the parking to be really convenient at all times. We always found a spot along the street. The area was really close to everything as far as shops and restaurants. We really liked the Midtown Miami Shops that are a few blocks away and highly recommend the Sushi restaurant in there. We also enjoyed making breakfast in the kitchen in the apartment. All of our rooms were spotless, including dishes and pots. We checked it all and could tell this place was well taken care of. There were 2 ladies around all the time and they were very nice.
We all agreed we would come back again and felt very much at home in these cool little apartments. Its a real miami gem !!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Driving up to the Fortuna House Apartments I had a sense that perhaps this was a mistake and that I should had sought a higher level of lodging for our Miami stay. The " free" parking was in the street and there was no one to receive us or guide us to our room. Upon searching I found the wonderful proprietress cleaning another room on another floor. She guided us to our room and gave us our keys and was very helpful as to where the laundry and garbage were located. The room was early IKEA but was clean and cool and at the quiet back of the building. Very convenient to downtown Miami I have to say that at the end of my seven day stay I found the Fortuna to be an excellent choice for the budget minded traveler.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the building
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I booked a room at the Fortuna House on very short notice and my choice was a great one! I loved the local feel of the neighborhood and the street it is on. There was a nice mix of brand new skyscrapers along with some of the older buildings that had a lot of character too. Very eclectic mix ! I liked the Wynwood Arts area nearby as all of the warehouses had some beautiful artwork on them and had a really cool vibe and unique about it. The Fortuna House is half a block from Biscayne Blvd, where all the shops are, and I was able to catch public transportation right there quickly. The free Wi-Fi was fast and I was able to complete my business without even leaving the comfort of my room. Clean and comfortable, the Fortuna House was an experience I will remember and be sure to book with them again in the future!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Clermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

The rooms were nice and clean, however when I pulled the sheets and covers back the and mattresses were horrible and a couple of them did not have a mattress pad on them. I complained to the general manager and she told me that they have never had a guest to check the mattresses. She went further to say that that they were talking about firing the housekeeper who had just started that day. That was not a housekeeping issue that was a management issue. Not only were the mattresses stained with only who knows what they were hard and a couple of them had holes around the seams. Also, they advertised free parking but did not say it was on the street and if you come in late good luck finding a spot. Could have been a nice place to stay if it wasn't for the nasty mattresses and parking.

• Stayed April 2014
Lakeland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

The Fortuna house is a hidden secret of Miami. We are a family of 4 and on a small budget. Nice apartment type house that was very clean, but had small bathrooms. The ladies that run the place are very nice and helpful. There is 3 floor and had no elevator. New Ikea style furnishing. Walking distance to eat and the bus line was free to ride!!! Good value and a great place to stay before a cruise.

Stayed March 2014