“unique design” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Richmond, Virginia
“unique design”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I flew into Miami and had to find a 3 week rental fast. The Fortuna House was on my list of places to visit. I have to say whoever decorated this place did a great job. They showed me 8 rooms. All were a little different but relatively the same size and all equally nice. I got into the unit right away, had a great stay, and found it to be a real winner at a great price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Coral Gables, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This place is not as advertised, rooms don't look like in the pictures. My advice is visit the place, look at the neighborhood specially at night and if you feel comfortable then stay. Good luck finding a parking space. The reason why I did stay was because I was not going to get my money back, I learned my lesson and since this awful experience I only stay in places where I can get full refund.

Room Tip: Dont give money in advance.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
fortunaapts, Manager at Fortuna House Apartments, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We keep all of our photos online current and make sure that the rooms appear exactly as advertised. We show our units daily from 11 am to 7 pm. No appointment is necessary. Because we are not a hotel, we are an apartment rental, our cancellation policy does not allow same -day cancellation. We have a 14 day cancellation policy and our policy is clearly listed on our website and all online booking sites that you find us on.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel and I would definitely stay here again!!!
I really enjoyed my 2 weeks stay here!!
Nice clean rooms!! Beautiful place and nice personnel. I love the little hangout area in front of the building too - very welcoming. Our children were in love with the caretaker of the building. She clearly loves kids and it was nice coming back from a long day at the beach to a place that felt like home! Cheerful rooms and cheerful people always a plus!

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We came to Miami for 12 nights to visit family that live in the downtown Miami area so the Fortuna House was a perfect Iocation for us. The apartments were really cute and looked like the photos online. We got to see 4 when we got there & also took a peak at a few more when the housekeepers had the doors open. They are all a little different but all tastefully done , clean,& larger than your average hotel room. The area was nice . There was a beautiful new Publix supermarket a few blocks away and I really enjoyed walking around the Midtown Shops and restaurants nearby. The staff lives on the property & were very helpful . I was able to do laundry & parking was simple,right in front of the building, and free. There were lots of European guests staying there. Really nice crowd, made for some interesting conversations!
Overall had an awesome stay & would come back.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We are locals and needed to stay nearby overnight because we were having construction done on our home on Miami Beach. We have driven past this hotel many times and it's located close to an excellent shopping plaza, Bayside Marketplace, which includes several restaurants and a boardwalk with beautiful ocean views. Really nice at night! Love this location and even more so the lovely caretaker who seemed to help us find anything we needed (even toothpaste at 2am). She was a sweetheart! Rooms are clean, modern and cheery. Would definitely tell any visiting relatives to stay here!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I came down from Orlando and were able to rent out 7 rooms out for my wedding party. Everything else in the downtown area was so overpriced! We really got a great deal at Fortuna House. Everyone loved their rooms and was happy with my choice for booking at the Fortuna House.The rooms were spotless, and well-maintained. The wifi was really fast, the location was perfect - 5 minutes from the beach, where I was getting married. The parking was free and painless -we had no trouble at all; a nice change compared to previous trips to south beach where parking was $40 per night, with 30 minutes wait time.

We felt very comfortable, as if we'd rented a big house. The staff was very nice and friendly, and very accomodating to our requests. We all gathered in the outdoor garden area out front in the morning for coffee. It was a very relaxing stay & we will definitely be back in winter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Growing up in NYC I know that finding cheap hotels in big cities during peak times is almost an impossibility- especially when only booking a month or so in advance. We booked this site based on the free parking and realatively cheap price. However, both were major let downs. We were given a choice of two rooms upon arrival. We chose one which appeared to be better, but were met with a lovely dead 3 inch cockroach on the dresser upon arrival. To be fair the on-site host was apologetic about the incident and stated that the apartments had just been painted so it probably came in from that. Yet, we were met with another live (albeit smaller roach) during our stay and then found another dead one hiding behind the ironing board when we were packing up our things. This one was also about 3 inches. Yes it is Florida, but based on the size of these visitors there were clearly some cleanliness issues involved.

Other than that, the free-parking is free- if you can find it. We had to park down the adjacent street one night since there were no spaces on the block of the apartment building. The area isnt terrible, and it is a short drive from all of the area's attractions. But it is not a place to wander around by yourself at night if you are a female. There were some interesting people out and about when we had to walk from the other street, and I was glad to have a small group to walk with.

Overall, it was an okay stay. Furnished almost exclusively with ikea decor, with satellite tv, the beds were relatively comfortable. No common areas to speak of. Small rooms, but hey its a studio apartment- we weren't expecting the taj majal.

Noise from the hallways did wake us up, as the neighbors seemed to be lively. But at least there was good water pressure (even if the bathroom itself was miniscule in size), and it was nice having the kitchen (however, the dishes definitely needed a good scrubbing before use). Though if I could avoid this place on a future visit I definitely would.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
fortunaapts, Manager at Fortuna House Apartments, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We appreciate your comments on your visit. We apologize for the situation with the pests you encountered. This apartment building has a monthly pest control service that had just serviced the room. This service does prevent any pest control problems from occurring. As a result of the treatment you encountered some dead pests which will occur as a result of insecticide treatment. We maintain the building with the utmost amount of cleanliness and apologize for any inconvenience to you. You could have certainly requested a room change at any point of your stay and we could have gladly accomodated you. We have over 350 reviews on public sites and our guests over many years have categorized us as a 3 1/2 star establishment. This is the result of hundreds of guests reviews. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was positive and you found the rooms well decorated and comfortable.