“AMAZING ROOMS!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Casa Moderna Miami to your Saves list
Hotels.com Tingo.com
Casa Moderna Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1100 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33132 (Formerly Tempo Miami) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #18 of 131 hotels in Miami
Brampton, Canada
“AMAZING ROOMS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel was beautiful and the rooms were very nice. Our bed was probably the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in! The rooftop pool was also extremely nice. We didn't use the gym or spa, but saw the facilities and they looked great as well. Our only complaint was how expensive the food was for what seemed to be fairly average entrées. However, the location was great as it was a short walk to the pier, where there were many places to eat! I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked this hotel for ourselves and our friends several months ago. Our three nights stay was quite a frustrating experience. While the location is great and the rooms themselves are quite nicely furnished, the staff service was disappointing for what should be a high end hotel.
Our friends were booked into a room with a frosted bathroom door that wouldn't open properly. When they told the front desk, the staff member commented "isn't that fixed yet?" Seriously ?...why wasn't that room blocked off until fixed ?
Restaurant has a beautiful view but wait staff didn't advise us of what wasn't available until 15 minutes after we ordered.
Pool is a lovely area but running out of towels isn't. Ordered wine poolside that restaurant staff brought up in a styrofoam cup.
Sunday a.m. I asked front desk to have someone put ice around a bottle of champagne in the wet bar. Was told it would be done. My wife was running her first half marathon in the ING Miami run. When I returned, no ice !!! I went to front desk and person I spoke with felt bad and dealt with it right away. They sent up an apology gift of a lovely bowl of fruit which was a nice gesture. But apology letter was addressed to our friends, not us. Come on, were we not listed as the tenants of the room ?
Spa and their staff were very nice. Not a big deal but again, they said they left us a reminder for our appointments the day before. We never got it.
Casa Moderna should truly be an upscale top notch operation but until the management and staff start focusing on true customer service they just won't be.
Oh, and I got an email from the conceirge asking about our visit. Again not addressed to me but to our friends. I've asked for the name of the owner to give my suggestions and thoughts....that was two days ago. No response yet.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that face the road, they have a lovely balcony versus those facing the side st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last weekend. I've stayed here before when this property had other management and there have been great changes. My junior suite was a great space but was lacking lighting. The sitting area of my room had no lamps so when the sun went down the room was dark. Neither television in my room worked except for one evening when I summoned the technician for help. And, even with that repair the following night the tvs didn't work. The shower hand sprayer didn't work and was never addressed after 3 requests for service. I went early one morning to the front desk for change and, of course, they didn't have any. They said they kept the envelope on the 4th floor for security, I guess. Concerning security, this hotel used to have a card key activated elevator for security as anyone off the street can walk into the front door and come up into the hotel. They have now disabled this device so this can happen and I didn't see many security cameras in the hallways. I could go on, but, why bother. The management of this hotel, clearly don't care. I'll just stay away from this place.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful boutique hotel with awesome rooms overlooking Biscayne Bay. I have been staying here off and on for over 4 months and the one thing they lack from making this a great overall stay and that is the service, it is terrible. The staff is very nice but they have a hard time getting out of their own way. There is always a problem with something whilst I am hear, cable does not work, wifi is down etc, etc. I can't say enough great things about to rooms however, they are spectacular and a value for the size. The deluxe rooms have very large balconies overlooking the bay which is very nice. Just know the service is not good and in need of help

• Stayed January 2013
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed with my son who is 8 for 7 days: the hotel is very clean, new, modern, the room is large and the bathroom is unbelievably confortable. The view from the bathroom is awesome as the peace and quiet. I loved it!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for eight nights.
Our first impression was quite positive. The Biscayne Suite was very large and clean.

However, after the second day, we got the impression that this hotel is actually a combination of several small companies that have no interest whatsoever in each other's business or success.
Every problem you may encounter will always be some other department's responsibility.

I tried to make a reservation at the spa. The spa staff told me my reservation would be confirmed by phone before the end of the day. That never happened.
But communication didn't seem to be their responsibility.

The day after, I gave it another shot. A confirmation would be sent to my room. It never arrived.
According to the spa staff they did send me the message, according to the front desk communication sometimes goes wrong. Anyway, not either one's responsibility.

In the meantime I tried to get my spa reservation confirmed at the front desk. The only option by that time were spa treatments on our check-out date. For obvious reasons, I would need a three-hour extended check-out in that case. The front desk agreed, but only if I would pay an extra $250 for the late check-out.

SERIOUSLY? $250 for a few extra hours? (While I spent eight days in their largest suite). Especially when the reason for the late check-out were several communication screw-ups on their part. I didn't feel like I should do that, it wasn't even about the money anymore.
So I told the lady at the front desk that I did not want to confirm the spa treatment.

This triggered an unseen reaction from the same lady: all of a sudden, she cared about the spa's business and contacted the spa to find out if she could charge us any cancellation fees.
(Of course not, since the treatment was never even confirmed to begin with).
She was clearly disappointed when she discovered she couldn't charge me the extra fees.
The last time I encountered similar hostility towards guests must have been in Soviet hotels I stayed at in the late 80s.

We experienced similar situations all throughout our stay.
Customer service could shift from very good to terrible in the matter of a change of personnel.
One day the valet could give you a heart-warming welcome when you arrived late at night, the next day staff clearly felt they had better things to do than to take care of your car.

Same goes for restaurant, room service, cleaning, etcetera.
On the last day our room wasn't cleaned. Called the front desk, but after a certain hour, there is no more service available to clean your room. Nobody's responsibility, that goes without saying.

At the check-out, the lady was clearly uninterested in our experience and expressed this by yawning throughout the entire check-out process. We weren't even asked about the quality of our stay.
Of course we had to take care of our own luggage. The hotel staff probably had more important things to do, like ... looking out of the window. Again, no interest whatsoever.

I don't think this will ever be a perfect hotel. The location isn't perfect and traffic noise is quite a problem.
However, should someone competent ever take over this hotel and introduce a guest-oriented policy, there's much untapped potential.

Most problems you may encounter as a hotel guest get solved by hotel staff that primarily *understands* your problem and takes responsibility. Running a hotel is all about caring about your customers. You don't even have to solve the problem, you just have to care ... or at least pretend to.

Room Tip: The higher - and thus farther from traffic - the better.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Luxury was evident in the design but not in the service.

Upon our early arrival for a pre-cruise night we received a complimentary upgrade to a readied room with an overly large balcony overlooking the Port of Miami.

Upon entering the corner room, we were awed by the large windows and clean, sleek design.

The balcony of our ninth floor room could easily host a party of a dozen guests and not feel crowded. But only one metal chair existed on the expanse from which to sit and enjoy the view. Not the most romantic of seating arrangements.

The view was spectacular and on the morning of our departure we saw from our bed our Celebrity ship waiting for us at the port.

The bed was the most comfortable ever experienced. Absolutely wonderful!

The shower with a view of the harbor was unique. The toilet, like the shower shielded by a frosted glass door from the bedroom, does not offer much privacy no matter how intimate your room share is with you… it’s still awkward. (A rushing bidet helps conceal unwanted sounds.)

The closet... is the size of an average hotel room or NYC studio apartment. Walk-in closet is an understatement!

The pools are chic and relaxing. Unfortunately the hotel (a boutique in a condo high-rise) is surrounded by heavy traffic, including trucks from a highway off-ramp. Despite the pools' being 14 floors above the congestion, the cacophony filters in.

On the Friday night stay for our pre-cruise, the hotel restaurant and bar were both vacant at 8 PM. The head chef paced about the dining room. He seemed lonely. The bar tender was visible in the kitchen reading a magazine and not attentive to the bar when we arrived. We had one drink and retreated from the awkward emptiness of the bar / restaurant to enjoy the sparkling Miami night view from our corner windowed room.

For the high cost of the room a complimentary breakfast, or at the very least a Continental breakfast, would have been welcomed. But unless booking a more expensive bed-and-breakfast package or purchasing a full breakfast from the empty restaurant; options for a morning meal are limited to the gas station two blocks south or from the Bayside Marketplace several blocks further south.

The hotel is conveniently located at a stop for the free elevated train that serves downtown Miami. Also convenient is the short walk to Bayside Marketplace.

The hotel does not seem to be actively seeking cruise guests which is odd since this is the closest hotel to the Port of Miami. No shuttle to the port. No concierge assistance when I inquired about having a car or taxi called. We were told to go onto the street and hail one for ourselves. But we’re used to fending for ourselves. Others who wish to have everything provided would not be happy here.

Would I stay here again? Only at a discount or if additional services were included. There are other hotels in the area just as nice but offering more service minded amenities such as an included breakfast and concierge. Our stay was the result of a rewards program.

Overall; we enjoyed the luxurious accomodations but know that more value for the dollar can be found elsewhere in Miami and still get the 'bling' of Casa Moderna's modern chic design.

Room Tip: Corner rooms facing the Port have a great view but if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs as th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Moderna Miami? Share your experiences!