“U Miami Graduation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Gloucester Point, VA
“U Miami Graduation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our son recently graduated from a graduate school at UMiami. We traveled with relatives to attend. They arrived before as they flew into Miami. The hotel shuttle picked them up and seamlessly brought them to the hotel complex. They arrived before check in and were given one room to store all bags and then they enjoyed a lovely lunch at one of the other 3 Marriott properties. We landed at Fort Lauderdale and drove to the Marriott. All of the rooms were lovely and clean. The hotel complex has 3 Marriott hotels and all were in a gated complex. The complex does charge $17 per night for parking but that does guarantee a spot. Our breakfast was lovely and included the normal Residence Inn fare except for the orange and grapefruit juice was fresh (FL style). The staff at this hotel was surprising much nicer than at other Residence Inns that we have stayed. We will reserve this location again for our next graduation. And by we are Silver Elite members.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
awelc147, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Martins1727
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your son’s graduation weekend. I am delighted that you found our staff to be much nicer than your previous experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your next graduation!

Alexandra Caceres

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I recently visited this hotel to start our honeymoon. We were heading to the Bahamas for a relaxing week and our connecting flight didn't leave until the next morning so I looked for a good hotel for the evening. Being a Marriott Gold member and someone who has experience with Marriotts for traveling for business purposes, I figured this hotel would be a no brainer. Good reviews, free airport shuttle, reputable name. However, out experience from the beginning was poor.

The Shuttle - We arrived at Miami close to 10pm. The shuttle was prompt to pick us up and the driver pleasant enough. He picked up out checked luggage and placed it in the back trunk with the other guests. The shuttle delivers people to three properties in the Marriott complex - the Marriott, the Courtyard and the Residence. The Residence was the last stop which was no problem. My wife and I were the only ones staying at the residence so we were the last guests on the bus. When we arrived at the hotel we walked to the back to meet the driver to get out luggage. He looked at us with a puzzled look and said "you don't have any bags right?". Wrong. We explained we did and he told us to hurry back on the bus. We sped back to the previous property where our bags were by the curb. Anyone could have easily walked away with our luggage. Needless to say, not the best start. Luckily our bags were there and it was an honest mistake. No harm. However...

The Room(s): Check-In was no problem. Easy, painless and the gentleman at the desk was very nice. We were given our room keys for 3517 and pointed to the direction of the elevator. Upon arriving to the room, we noticed before we walked in it was a handicapped room, which isn't a problem but according to their website there were plenty of other rooms. I was a little surprised they wouldn't hold that room for persons who may need it but it wasn't a problem. Since our flight was leaving early the next morning, we skipped dinner instead opting for the free microwaveable popcorn. After putting it in the microwave and standing there waiting, I noticed something on the counter seemed to be moving. ANTS. All over the counter and sink. Not talking just a few, I mean all over. I promptly called the front desk and explained the situation. I hate complaining but this wasn't acceptable. The gentleman apologized on the phone and said a bellhop would meet us and take us to a new room. He said it would be an upgrade to the hypoallergenic room that contained an air purifier. No problem, it sounded great. However, I got to thinking: I'm a Gold Elite member that is supposed to get free upgrades offered to me upon check-in. Apparently that didn't happen. I didn't think much of it. We were told our new room would be 3327, two floors below our current room. No problem. We checked in the new room, everything looked great so off to bed. The next morning after getting out of the shower though, I thought I smelled a smokey smell. Turns out, someone previously had smoked in the hypoallergenic room and there were cigarette burns on the wallpaper in the bathroom. While I know the hotel can't control what people do to the rooms, I would have expected the burns to be taken care of.

Check-Out: The next morning at check out, the woman (I think Morgan? Something like that. Pleasant person) asked how out stay was. I said it was just OK and she asked why, which I provided her details about the ants. Her response: "Oohh. About that." That made me wonder if this is a common problem? She apologized, noticed in the computer we had transferred rooms. She apologized again about the second room. She said she would speak to a manager about the issue and also about crediting my account with Marriott points. I told her I would appreciate it and thanked her. We had an uneventful shuttle to the airport and had a great honeymoon.

I logged into my account today and noticed the bill had posted for my stay, no marriott points awarded, no followup from a manager via email or phone call.

In summary: a poor visit from an otherwise well trusted brand. This won't scare me from Residence or Marriott, but I will be selecting a different property in Miami for any future visits.

Issues:
-No upgrade offered upon check-in when there was clearly some open (Marriott Gold Elite Member)
-Ants all over counter and sink in room 3517 (5th floor handicapped room)
-Cigarette burns in the bathroom of room 3327 (3rd floor hypoallergenic room)
-No points awarded for issues, no followup from management.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
awelc147, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear MatthewUD

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel during your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than you expected. I will be using your comments as a training opportunity with my team to ensure we improve upon our standards and service levels.

We have a strict cleaning checklist that is followed along with an inspection process to ensure that our rooms are up to the Marriott Standards.

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Close to the airport but far enought away from all the noise of that area. Quick cab ride to the Port of Miami in the morning. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable room, good food next door at the Marriott. What more do you need before stepping on the oceanliner?

Room Tip: Ask to face north for a better view.
Green Features: They were obviously environmentall-friendly. They all should be.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tommie22,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed our location and found us to be easily accessible to the Port of Miami in the morning.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your next cruise.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

It's a Residence Inn, which means that it's clean and that everything works. The included breakfast is fine, and the WiFi was reliable and fast. The airport shuttle serves the Marriott "cluster", which comprises a Marriott, a Fairfield Inn, a Courtyard, and a Residence Inn. I chose the Residence Inn since I knew that it would have working laundry facilities, which was very handy after I had spent several days in the tropical climate.

One of the other reviewers noted that “Nathalia Rojas at the front desk was exceptional!”, and I would second that assessment. Since many different hotels have very similar features and prices, the customer experience makes a big difference. All other things being equal, I would go back to that Residence Inn because of her service, even if she is long gone by then.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
awelc147, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Bluevoter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of our laundry facilities. Thank you for recognizing our associate Nathalia.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to stay at before an airport departure. The rooms are clean and the free breakfast is phenomenal. Lots of choices for everyone! The airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes and the drivers are very nice and very helpful. I must say though that the best part of this hotel is the front desk staff. Laura in particular was amazing! She was super friendly and very professional. She also gave us the best recommendation for a Cuban restaurant very near the hotel. Unbelievable food - and they deliver too. I think it was called the Latin Cafe. Thanks Laura! I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
awelc147, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Airport, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Irishlv,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you found our hotel to be in a convenient location and our staff especially Laura to be friendly and professional.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

At check in we asked for directions to the nearest Whole Foods or health food store. Laura and David at the front desk were very helpful. David went to the health food store for us and brought our item directly to our room. He refused to take a tip!
Their service was greatly appreciated. We never expected them to do our shopping for us!
We always stay at Marriott Hotels because of their cleanliness. Now we know they have the best staff.
Thank you Laura and David for all your help. You are the best and Marriott should be very proud of you .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Willow, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at this hotel. We came home and bought a new bed to be more like yours but the most excellent part of our visit to your hotel was Nathalia Rojas at the front desk. She was magnificent! She was so very helpful and kind. She gave us great suggestions and was very very helpful and sweet. She made us feel like we had just walked into a good friends home and made us feel so welcomed. Kudos to Nathalia. Thank you for your kindness and the awesome bed!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong if Nathalia recommends it, she won't steer you wrong.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple