“Despite a bit of random bad luck, I would definitely recommend Hotel Urbano” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Urbano

You added Hotel Urbano to your Saves list
Hotel Urbano
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Brickell Ave, Miami, FL 33129 (Coral Way)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 115 Hotels in Miami
Jacksonville, Florida
“Despite a bit of random bad luck, I would definitely recommend Hotel Urbano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Let me start off by saying, when doing a review, I always give my honest opinion. Bad and good. I hope it's appreciated by future travelers and by the management.

I just returned from a 5 day/4 night stay in Miami at Hotel Urbano and I was unlucky enough to have my room flooded on Halloween night. A hot water pipe burst above my bathroom that completely flooded my room and I suspect a few others. Although it was a little chaotic for awhile and my evening was almost ruined, the staff at the hotel were great. They immediately responded to my call and had me and my belongings moved to a new room within a short amount of time. After I was settled into my new room trying to figure out how to salvage my evening, a gentleman called from the front desk apologized again and said my entire stay including valet charges would be comp'd. I was preparing myself to have to fight upon check out to get that night comp'd, so I really didn't expect the entire stay. It was a pleasant surprise after an awful evening.

Despite the problem I had, there are many pro's:

The staff is extremely nice. I can't say how important that is. They always said hello and engaged me in conversations, when most people in Miami won't even acknowledge your existence.

For me the hotel is in a great safe location. It's in Brickell and within driving distance to SoBe, Coral Gables and many many restaurants and a lot of shopping. There isn't anything I can think of within walking distance, but I had my car, so that wasn't an issue. The hotel does have a small restaurant area, but I never saw anyone dining there. It would have been nice to use that area to include breakfast with your stay like most hotels do nowadays.

You can tell this was a older hotel that has been completely remodeled, but it is very quaint and charming. It feels very high end in most areas. It's very modern and funky with lots of sculptures and artwork. The pool is gorgeous. The landscaping is lush and tropical.

The rooms were very basic, but clean and modern looking. They are well maintained and adequately sized for one or two people. The beds were extremely comfortable and had down comforters and pillows. They also have a nice large flat screen TV and a small refrigerator. That is nice to have, especially when your stay is a little longer. I had a "city view" room which was really a view of a parking lot, but I didn't really care. I never looked outside my window.

The wifi connection was awesome. No connectivity issues like other hotels. They also have a small business center.

Now the cons:

The were is no closet or hangers. I had to be creative and find things to hang a few items of clothing on.

The shower floor is terrazzo and VERY slippery with or without soap added to the mixture. They should provide a bath mat before someone slips and has a tumble.

The AC thermostat has a motion sensor in it. That means when there is no motion in the room, the AC cuts off. I wondered why it was so hot in my room when I returned later that evening. I didn't notice that until I moved to the 2nd room, because apparently someone had figured out how to disable the sensor in my first room. I spent the entire night miserable waking up sweating until I figured out how to bypass it the last night I was there. I know that is for cost saving measures, but boy did it make for a miserable nights sleep.

I suggest you call reservations to verify everything about a week before your stay. Somehow I had 3 (yes 3!) separate reservations under my name, all with the wrong rate. I had to speak with a supervisor because the person I spoke with flat out refused to honor the rate I was given in an email confirmation. I am relieved I called, because I would have been charged for 3 seperate 4 night stays on my credit card.

I think my biggest complaint is about the valet parking. It is ridiculously expensive. When I was making my reservations I got a great rate, but no one told me about the REQUIRED valet parking until I read it on here. Then you have to factor in the $29 a night fee + tips to the valet which increases the room rate significantly. It's such a small hotel, I'm honestly not sure why they need a valet. Maybe just because it's a Miami thing? If they insist that you valet, then they need to drastically come down on the price. $29 is just way to expensive. I'd say $15 max.

Despite the flooding issue and the few cons I listed above, I would most definitely stay at Hotel Urbano. None of them were a deal breaker. Hopefully the management will take note and make a few changes. (Especially since I'm seeing alot of complaints about the price of the valet parking!) The staff went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of and happy and that was much appreciated. I will most definitely be back next year, if not sooner. I just hope I have better luck with the water pipes next time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review regarding your stay with us last week. Let me also apologzie for the freak hot water pipe burst that disrupted your stay - we certainly dont anticipate that happening again on your enxt visit! We are happy that you felt the unfortuntate sitaution was handled well by the staff. We are a bit confused about your mention of no closet or hnagers, as every room in the hotel does in fact have a closet - we will look into this further. Overall we are delighted you enjoyed Hotel Urbano and look forward to having you back at the hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Urbano yesterday. Great location to drop your bags enjoy the pool, then go explore Miami. The SeaAquarium is right across the street. The pool area is ti=o die for very romantic at night. We decided to eat at the restaurant before we went out. This should be a local jem. Chef Anthony made us some great Tapas and the dessert was to die for. The chef amde these crabcake sliders that were delicate and awesome. He also made us some other plates as well that were just as good. We ended our dessert with a Nutella wwith bananas and chocolate in between a delicate Texas Toast OMG soooo good.
We will return what a great spot from the different artwork throughout the Hotel to the food it will begetting very crowded soon. Great job

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantasitc review of our little gem of a hotel! I will certainly pass along to Chef Anthony your praises...he is very talented and we are so happy you had the opportunity to sample several dishes! Hope to welcome you to Hotel Urbano again soon!
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Cute boutique hotel - room was average - was supposed to be "city view" but all we saw was the road in front of the building and the overhang of the front door. Our balcony wasn't wide enough to accommodate a chair, which is probably why there weren't any out there. We went out for the day at about 9 a.m.. and when we returned at 3, our room had not been made up - we called the front desk and they said they would send someone up - seeing as we were headed back out, we said to wait 15 minutes until we left but 5 minutes later, the housekeeping staff is banging at the door - ! Location isn't very convenient - can't walk to ANYTHING - we had a rental car but of course, had to pay to park it. And $5 for a CUP of coffee is just outrageous (ditto for a $4 bottle of water that isn't even chilled)!!!!! The pool area is small but well appointed - however, on the evening we were out there, some private dinner was also going on (poolside) and we didn't swim because we didn't want to intrude on their celebration. Got to believe that there are better places to stay in the area!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Please accept our sincere apologizes for the less than stellar experience you had during your stay with us - certainly the issues with housekeeping is not typical of how we operate and apologize you had that experience. We were hosting a wedding rehersal dinner outside during your stay; however, the south end of the pool area was still open for hotel guests. Thank you again for visiting us and should you be in the area again we would love the opportunity to host you again.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Hotel Urbano came recommended to me from a friend and we were completely surprised upon arrival. The location is perfect! It is located in the middle of almost everything without having to deal with all the traffic, US 1 is at the front door, the bridge to Key Biscayne is a simple turn and Interstate 95 is just a couple blocks away. The walls of the hotel are adorned with modern art and the rooms, decorated simply and clean. They have free internet, mini fridges and even gave us umbrellas to take for free when it rained! The pool was absolutely amazing, the perfect temperature and had plenty of seating area outside. A fire pit and a small waterfall really added to the ambiance. We encountered a couple minor problems with the room service and the telephones in the room but the staff was more than happy to help and took care of the issues for us. All of the employees of the hotel, especially Bryant at the front desk, were always positive and upbeat and ensured that we had a great trip. The valet people were always there to open doors for us and the bar staff was always friendly despite the fact all we ever ordered were espressos. I would recommend Hotel Urbano to anyone, it was a wonderful get away from the busy activities of our trip and we will certainly stay there again the next time we visit Miami!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review of Hotel Urbano - we are so happy to enjoyed your stay with us! Our staff is truly amazing and work very hard to make sure our guests have a great experience, I will certainly pass on your kind words to the front desk, bar, and valet departments... Please come visit us again soon!
New Iberia, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We had a layover in Miami and decided this was our chance to enjoy a beautiful city and eat some Cuban food. Thanks to whoever on this site reviewed the Hotel Urbano. The cost of the room was under $100. Food and drinks were a little above average (or above our expectations), but it was good and plentiful. Hubby described the comfort of the bed and bedding as the best he'd ever experienced. However, after a while the down duvet was too hot and not necessary in a warm climate. Decor was clean and modern. Condition was almost brand new. If I have to criticize anthing at all, it would be the a/c in our room (#302) would rattle when it was operating and that woke me up. Also the door to the room next to ours squeaked when it was opened or closed and it sounded creepy at 5:30 in the morning. What????
The pool area is very lovely with cabanas, lots of chairs, flowers and even interesting sculptures all around. Trendy art in the hallways and public areas too. Not your cookie cutter chain hotel. A step or two better, in my opinion.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I hope you'd be lucky to arrive when bellman, Michael, is on duty. Very helpful and friendly. He called us a cab to go to the Cuban restaurant in Spanish and then we used that cab driver for the rest of our stay. Wish I could give you the cab driver's name and number as he was great too.
Tell everyone you know that this hotel is very new, very classy, small and personal, and priced unbelievably low for a major city like Miami.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thanks for your comments...and what luck that you were able to find us during a quick layover in Miami! We are so happy Michael was able to direct you to a fantastic Cuban resturant while you were in Miami...and that you were so pleased with his service level overall. I apologize for the noisy AC unit in your room, and thank you for noting the room number so we can address that issue today! Thanks again - hopefully we'll see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This is a fabulous hotel! Very urban and cotemporary from the moment you walk in. The rooms (actual room and the bathroom, the shower is huge!) are very spacious and vivacious. The lobby, pool area and decorative art are very nice!

The location is not very close to anything, which worked for us as we spent the previous weekend on South Beach and the previous week on a cruise. Although we walked about 15 blocks in 20 minutes to get to food and into downtown, we certainly did not walk back in the Miami heat. A cab is highly recommended for anywhere you go.

The rate is awesome for this gem. The rooms again are very spacious, very clean and the hotel staff is awesome.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this review...we are delighted that you loved the hotel and found it to be a little gem! We also appreciate all the fabulous photos that you were able to take while you visited and then posted on Trip Advisor......we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Denver CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We researched a lot of hotels on this site-trying to decide whether to stay at Loews in South Beach, the Fontainebleau in Miami Beach or someplace that was convenient to all parts of southern Florida, as our objective this trip was to explore. And during Labor Day weekend both Loews and the Fontainebleau were sky high in pricing. Prices of course vary across the map-in Miami Beach you can pay big $$ for a lousy 50’s ‘Art Deco” hotel or decent $ for one that surprises you.

Hotel Urbano is of the second category-casual South Beach style elegance with a staff the loves its hotel and who treats the guests who stay there very well. The staff makes this hotel, and they are very proud of their little hotel as they should be. While it isn’t in Miami Beach proper, once you walk through the doors you don’t care-a hotel this nice would cost 3 times the amount in South Beach.

Hotel Urbano is south of downtown Miami about a mile, along the Biscayne Bay coast. Truth in advertising, it’s 2 blocks away from I-95 and one block away from Rickenbacker Causeway, the main highway to Key Biscayne. Google map it and you’ll see what I mean. The address of the hotel is 2500 Brickell Avenue, Miami, Fl.

It is in a very nice and quiet neighborhood. No rooms face I-95 and the rooms that face south to Rickenbacker causeway are masked by some very nice foliage so you won’t see the expressway unless you get a east facing room, and then it’s minimal as you’d have to look pretty far to the right to see it.

We came from the Miami airport, so from there, you’ll travel I-95 to get here. You’ll see the Hotel Urbano sign to your right, once you get to 25th Road and Brickell. The entry is a small stone paved semi circle Drive. A bellman is available to park your car and bring luggage upstairs.

The front desk area is small and right off the entrance. When you walk in you’ll see the front desk to the left and a gorgeous view of a pool and cocktail bar straight ahead, as well as the dining room to the right. The signature of this hotel is its art-lots of original works, some for sale, in the South Beach eclectic fashionable style. Its clear someone put a lot of thought into its design and ambience.

The front desk was very nice-we booked a King size city view, through our “I Prefer” Preferred Hotels guest program for $72 dollars a night with breakfast, using our Visa Signature card as this was their promotion with Hotel Urbano..

Anyone can do this on the Preferred Hotels website-it just gets you better deals than Priceline or Orbitz, and without the subhuman class treatment one gets booking through 3rd party websites.

Our “city view” room faced some non-descript apartment building to the east, overlooking the drive way into Hotel Urbano. We ordered some cocktails from the bar, and asked if we could be moved to a “pool view” room. Much better. Our first day here was the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and we were booked for 7 days. Had we been here Friday, I don’t they could have upgraded us, but they had a lot of check-outs with the weekend ending so we got our “complimentary upgrade”-second floor room . To be honest, you don’t really see downtown Miami skyline from here-what you see above the palm tree line is 4 high rise residential towers to the north, and the furthest tower is about a ½ mile from downtown, and the pool.

The bellman moved everything to our new room while we went in to go have dinner in South Beach (about 8 miles away to the north and east). When we returned, everything-our bags and clothes were placed exactly as they were in the old room-impressive! Not only that but later we discovered one of our cell phones was left charging in the old room. No problem-the desk supervisor brought it up herself. So by then we knew we were also dealing with an honest, competent staff.

We avoided the exorbitant $24 a night “Valet parking fee” by parking on the street. We had a Volvo convertible rental car and there were no problems parking ½ block away.

When you visit South Beach or Ft. Lauderdale, just be prepared for the sticker shock on drink prices-beers can be $6-$8 and Mojito’s $10 to $20. Some of them-especially on the Ocean Avenue happy hours-feel very watered down. And there are some tourist trap restaurants you want to avoid like the Carlyle (where the movie “The Birdcage” was filmed). Horrible food and service. I actually found the Trip Advisor restaurant forum to be very helpful. We found a fantastic Cuban restaurant called Yuca on the Lincoln Road Mall. through the Trip Advisor forum. This mall and Espanola Way in South Beach are fun to explore!

The pool itself , at Hotel Urbano, is small. It goes from 3 feet to 5 feet in a matter of 30 feet or so. But they make the most of it with 4 cabanas, lots of chaise lounges and lush landscaping. You’ll even find palm trees that actually drop coconuts! Nice music piped into the pool area-very sophisticated. The pool and the room photos are exactly what you get when you get to Hotel Urbano-no website puffery there.

This hotel reminds me a great deal of the Ambrose in Santa Monica-incredible once you get within the 4 walls, in a nice residential neighborhood, but driving distance to the beach. Here are some our our high points an low points for Hotel Urbano:

Pluses- Free Hi speed Wifi throughout
The staff-especially Erika, our breakfast server and bartender
Breakfast
Maid Service-it’s excellent
Fitness Room
Décor
Pool/Ambience
In room safe, coffeemaker, Ipod docking station and flat screen TV
Neighborhood
Access to downtown, South Beach, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Key West, Fort
Lauderdale, the Miami Airport and Coral Gables is great!

Minuses-

The “service charges” on every order
Very slow kitchen
The feeling in some places of an old Hampton Inn
The price (and size) of the cocktails
No baths-only showers
Limited closet space
The constant reference to Vizcaya by the management in the Trip Advisor posts- not everyone is interested in visiting Vizcaya

In closing, I’ve been a Trip Advisor member for several years and once you get past the people who destroy hotels with their opinions because the didn’t get an upgrade or one staff member treated them rudely, this is still a great forum. I take posts from people who have posted 10 or more times more seriously than single time posters’. Most important is to Google Map any place you are looking at-especially in South Beach-I’ve never seen so much trick photography to make a hotel look bigger or better located than I have when we were looking to stay in Miami Beach. I’m glad we passed and we had plenty of money left over to enjoy the sights without breaking the bank. Hotel Urbano gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from us as a great small boutique alternative.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive and thoughtful review - we truley appreciate it. As you mention - Trip Advisor becomes an incredibly informative forum for those guests and hotels who take the time to take it seriosuly. In response to your note about the design and ambiance of the hotel - I want to point out our partnership with Art Fusion Gallery in Miami's Design District - the gallery curates our collection and is changed out seasonally - so perhaps during yoru next visit there will be a whole new collection! Our staff is in fact proud of our little hotel and we are delighted it came across during your stay....thanks again for your review - we are looking forward to welcoming you again!