“Great Hotel with Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Brickell Ave, Miami, FL 33129 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Hotel with Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was in Hotel Urbano for a week on business. From the moment I checked in it was a pleasant experience. Nelson was very helpful at the front desk and remembered me throughout my stay and made my experience very nice.

The rooms are nice and large and the pool is amazing.

Only minor gripes are that the computers in the business center need to be updated. Very hard to print one sheet. As well, $24/day valet with no self parking. Typical for the area though.

Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us! We appreciate the feedback and are happy you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days while on vacation. I think reviews should do more than extol or complain and repeat what every other reviewer said. I think readers appreciate tips on how to maximize their stays (I do!).

Let's get the basics out of the way.

Stylish, clean, well maintained property; rooms smallish but well designed and comfortable; great beds; plenty of hot water for showers, etc. Lobby restaurant serves a great breakfast at competitive prices. Lovely pool area. Excellent, friendly customer service at all levels (special mention to Nelson at reception).

I would stay here again and would recommend the hotel to friends and family.

Now, some information to help you maximize your visit...

LOCATION:

The property is located at the end of Brickell Avenue, which is a combination of expensive, bay front condomiumium towers and Fortune 500 corporate office complexes. Other hotels in the area start at $400-500/night.

This is not a tourist area of Miami. You need a car or to be prepared to take a cab. I had a car. You come here without a car, you're going to feel isolated. Don't blame the hotel. Look at a map.

On the other hand: you're 2 miles to gorgeous Coral Gables and an easy, 10 minute drive to Key Biscayne.

The street behind the hotel is Miami Avenue. The homes on this stretch of Miami Avenue start at a million dollars.

Yes, the hotel is next to the entrance to the Rickenbacker Causeway. This makes the area seem busier than it is. However, the Rickenbacker only goes to one place: Key Biscayne. It's the only way to get to Key Biscayne.

The Urbano is the closest hotel to Key Biscayne not actually on Key Biscayne. The only hotel on Key Biscayne is the Ritz-Carlton (starting at $500/night). If you don't have $500/night to spend, and you want to visit Key Biscayne, the Urbano is where you're staying.

Do a Zillow search for the property values on the streets immediately surrounding the hotel and Key Biscayne. http://www.zillow.com/ You will see what I'm getting at with the demographic remarks.

PARKING TIP:

The Urbano charges $30/night to valet park at the hotel I don't pay for hotel parking, period. (A point of principle for me.) I saved $150 by parking on Miami Avenue, right behind and to the north of the hotel. The street is quiet, well lit, and safe.

Some parts of Miami Avenue require a parking decal; most do not. Just be careful not to part on the blocks that require a decal. If you're not an American and don't know what a parking decal is, Google it.

WHAT BEACH TO GO TO:

If you came to Miami to see other tourists, go to Miami Beach or South Beach, and good luck to you. It's expensive, crowded, tacky and the beach itself (the sand) is not attractive. They're about a 30 minute drive from the Urbano, and then you have to deal with parking. Just a mess.

On the other hand, if you came to Miami to experience south Florida, go to Key Biscayne. It's one of the top 10 beaches in the US (maybe the world). Key Biscayne is what Miamians think of when they think of "the beach".

Soft white sand. Plenty of easy $5, all day, parking. No noise. State and national park land. Protected flora and fauna. No tee shirt shops. No college kids boozing it up. No "scene" other than what nature and a million dollars in property values will get you.

I rented a bike on Key BIscayne and peddled around the island. Very safe, beautiful, relaxing.

OTHER ACTIVITIES:

Vizcaya (Google it) is about 2 miles from the hotel. You can drive to the house and go inside, it's worth the time and money.

For $15-$20, I rented a kayak on the Rickenbacker Causeway and paddles southwest across Biscayne Bay to the Vizcaya "harbor". http://www.sailboardsmiami.com/ The water was fairly shallow and calm, the trip took me 45 minutes each way. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thanks so much for this fantastic review - we love all the details and are sure future guests will too! We hope we'll have the opportunity to host you again soon - please drop us a line at sales@hotelurbanomiami.com for assistance with the booking.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed 2 nights during a long weekend in Miami because we didn't want to pay South Beach prices all 3 nights. The hotel isn't within walking distance to anything, but we took advantage of the free trolley that goes to the Brickell Village and downtown. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, especially the valet staff. One of them walked out to the trolley stop with us and showed us the map of the route. We sat by the pool for a little while one day, but it was too chilly for a dip. I was hoping to be able to sit pool-side with a cocktail, but the bar doesn't open until later in the day. However, their happy hour is worth it for the 2 for 1 deal. I believe it's only on weekdays though so we only took advantage of it on Friday. The fire pit looked nice at night, though we never went out there.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and was eye level with the highway. Noise wasn't an issue for us, however if you're a really light sleeper, I'd ask for a room that doesn't back up to the highway. Bed was comfy. The parking fee is tough to swallow, but it seems to be the standard in the area. I imagine you'd be paying a lot more for a room and parking if you were staying down the road at the Conrad, JWM or even the Hampton Inn.

We had breakfast in the lobby and it was pretty good. The french toast had homemade whipped cream which was very yummy. All in all a good experience!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor and was eye level with the highway. Noise wasn't an issue for us...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us! We're so happy to hear you had a good experience and got a chance to take advantage of the free trolley service - please let us know next time you are heading to Miami and we will be happy so assist with a reservation on the other side of the building. sales@hotelurbanomiami.com
Bordentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple stayed here January 16, 2014 for 1 night pre-cruise. Since we flew into Ft. Lauderdale, we had rented a car so location wasn't an issue with us. From the time we arrived at the hotel until the time we left, everyone was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. Check-in and check-out were fast. The rooms were great and we never had to wait more than a minute or two for our car (valet). Although we didn't eat or drink here, everything we saw looked wonderful. The day/night that we were in Miami, it was cold and we did sit by the fire at the pool which was very nice. Wish we stayed more than 1 night. If we cruise out of Miami again, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We're so happy you loved our little hotel! And thanks for taking the time to review your experience....we hope that next time you are in Miami we will have the chance to welcome you back again for a few more days this time!
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was excited to stay at this hotel given the positve reviews found on this site. Unfortunately, I came down with the flu the night before my stay. I called to cancel the reservation and was told that I would have to speak with the manager about the cancellation fee. I thought for sure that given the circumstances this wouldn't be a problem. I called back on Monday and spoke with the hotel manager, Joe. Joe said that he was not willing to waive cancellation fee (equal to the room charge for 2 nights) even though my late cancellation was due to an unexpected illness. I would have no problem paying the fee if I had to change my reservation for something within my control, but was appalled by the lack of consideration shown by the manager.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We're sorry we were not able to waive the "no show" fee that was assessed to you in this situation, we did have your room held all night for you. According to our cancellation policy your reservation was cancelable up until 48 hours prior to check in, which did not happen. We hope that should you have an upcoming visit to Miami scheduled, you will consider staying with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Urbano for one night - we arrived late and just needed a place to crash before driving to the Keys. The staff was very friendly; the valet guy even told me where I could park my car on the street for free. I would stay at Hotel Urbano under similar circumstances in the future.

The only minor inconvenience that we encountered was that the first room they gave us keys for was occupied. We had trouble getting the door to open, but once we did, there was a very startled man who was in the heat of passion with himself at the foot of his bed. Poor guy is never going to enjoy an intimate moment to himself without thinking that strangers are going to burst into the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the review, we're glad that you liked our little boutique hotel. We were surprised to hear of unfortunate situation that occurred, our General Manager has already been in in touch with you directly regarding this matter.
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise and thought it was very nice. I knew from reviews that it was out of the way but it honestly didn't matter because the free trolley had a stop right across the street and was extremely easy to use. The area was pretty for a morning walk/run. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The property was very pretty and well maintained. The room was also comfortable and clean. It was convenient to have a bar/restaurant on site. We also enjoyed the pool area. I feel very comfortable recommending this hotel to visitors.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Urbano33129, Director of Sales at Hotel Urbano, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thanks so much for your review! We hop your cruise was fantastic and so glad your one night stay with us was a great experience - we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hotel Urbano? Share your experiences!