“A great adventure close to the coast” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 204 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: These trails, built on flat land, are full of technical challenges.
Miami
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A great adventure close to the coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We live in Miami so we pass the park every weekend on our way to the beach, but had no idea what fun awaited us inside.
Going during the week seemed to be a great choice, since the park always seems to be packed on the weekends. We found the place almost empty, which was great because we enjoyed a beautiful back water kayak trip with little or no river traffic. We saw tons of fish under a mangrove canopy and even paddled out to the white sand beach area for a break at one of the many picnic areas.

We found the staff to be courteous, efficient and the equipment, solid.

Our Groupon package included a lunch complete with craft beers at the Blue Marlin restaurant, conveniently owned by the same kayak proprietor in the park.
This place was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives, however they no longer smoke their own fish in house, which is why they were on the show in the first place. So, dont expect anything special. The grilled snapper was fresh and came with the obligatory cole slaw and chips, 6 out of 10. My lady enjoyed her crab cakes with side salad. The beer selection was great, some local some not but mostly craft beers.

Each of us received a kayak for 2 hours, lunch and a beer for under $50. This is in Miami.
Great choice for visitors in miami beach on an overcast day or alternative to the beach. They also have bike trails, cabins and paddle board rentals.

Worth it..yes.

Visited May 2013

Wisconsin USA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“'Wild' Respite, but crowded and stinky”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited on a nice Sunday in April with the family. There was already a 20 minute line of cars in late morning, but plenty of parking. It is a bit of greenery and natural area in Miami, so that is a plus.

We thought we would rent kayaks for a trip in the mangroves. This concession is a disaster, and Florida State Parks needs to get a new one when the lease is up.There was a line for kayaks, maybe 20 deep; it didn't look too bad. But the signage is very confusing. Get in the line on the second floor first for the paperwork, then go to the line on the ground level for the equipment. We waited in line for over an hour, and had made little headway, so we walked away. It might be worth the effort on a weekday, but not when there are lines.

Next we hit the swimming beaches. I knew they would be crowded, and they were. But worse was the stench, it smelled like raw sewage. I don't know if it was the water, the restrooms, or just the area. The kids seemed to tolerate it and had fun, but I was anxious to leave.

Plantation, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Really want to love it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have been coming here all my life and while I really want to love it, as I love what it stands for, an undeveloped piece of real estate in south florida is rare, just isn't much for me here, the beach front is dirty and sits on the bay, there is nowhere great to enjoy the water views, the mountain biking trails are riddled with roots and difficult to enjoy, I haven't kayaked yet, maybe thats my next move, brink your bug spray.

Visited November 2012
Pembroke Pines
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great spot for nature lovers and mountain bikers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I love to bike the trails at this beautiful park, there are trails for every level from novice to expert with quick turns through trees and small jumps. The views along some of the trails of the river and the ocean are spectacular! There is even a place to rent bikes, kayaks and canoes for the day, they also sell essentials that you might have forgotten such as sunscreen and cold drinks. I especially love this park in the winter months because the weather is so much more bearable in South Fla during this time. They also organize a full moon kayaking tour which I've heard is a blast. There is also a small man-made beach for those that want to lie in the sand and read a book instead. There is a small fee per vechicle at the entrance. Also try to remember to bring your own drinks and snacks as it can add up purchasing them at the park.

Quebec City, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Best beach for kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went there in march with family and my kid. It is a small bay like cuba beach's.... No wave at all, kid can play in the sand without worry! This was the best place iv'e found in miami for lauderdale area... A must go! Beautiful fishs around!