“Layover for Cruise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orofino
“Layover for Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel was amazing!! Friendly helpful staff, clean and comfy rooms,, it was heaven! The only drawback, was nothing around it, However the shuttle would take you within 5 miles of the hotel! However we waited forever for it to pick us up!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a great Courtyard Marriott in Miami. Nice property, great staff, nice rooms, but its in the middle of no where. If your looking for a hotel near restaurants, clubs, beaches, or convenient to Miami - this is not the place.

I had constructions site views from my hotel and listened to Turnpike traffic at night. The price was $239/night and only because its "in season" and hotels are hard to come up, let alone reasonably priced.

Canadian Club at night helps.

Room Tip: get a room in the back of teh hotel away from the turnpike traffic
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2015

We stayed here for 2 nights over New Years for the orange bowl. The hotel was conveniently located and the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms (we travelled with another couple) were clean and well appointed. While the beach is not close, there were restaurants within a 10 minute drive. I would stay here again if I was here for a game.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015

Planning a trip to go to Miami for a heat game we decided to stay at this Marriott. While checking in the staff was friendly they had free fresh baked cookies at the front desk. My girlfriend had forgotten something, upon explaining this issue to the front desk they sent us over to the bar area or they allowed us to borrow what we had forgotten for the night. The room was immaculate everything was correctly in its place and clean... The outside guest area was very nice with a few scattered seats and what I would call a little trouble for area of plants and a small pond. Checking out was just as easy as checking in everybody there was extremely nice and happy to see you come and go

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2015

Stay here often and the service is excellent. Its a bit off the tourist trail, but a good location for business. Rooms are very clean and quiet. If you need to be on the Doral area, this is an excellent choice.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2015

Stayed at the Courtyard on Dec 20th 2014 for a lay over before a cruise. All was going well until the ANTS came marching in. I am not speaking of a few ants, but hordes of ants in the bathroom; on the dresser; in the bed; and even in the refrigerator….Room 208

In addition to taking a cruise we were also celebrating one of my daughters birthday's, who just got back from Kuwait after a one year deployment, and the surprise cupcakes that we had for our daughter in the refrigerator had ants crawling in the icing.

The staff initially did not believe that there were ants in my room I guess, because security was sent to the room to check; and yes it was confirmed that ANTS were everywhere.

After about 45 minutes of going up and down the elevator [new room key did not work several times...] I was finally put into a room 4 floors up from where the the rest of my family was staying in the hotel. The birthday was ruined due to the ants, and the only thing the hotel offered was a refund on the cupcakes.

THE "MANAGEMENT" STAFF working the morning of Dec 21 (a Hispanic woman) was very un accommodating. She did refund us on the cupcakes, but she seemed very uninterested and uncaring to the needs of the customer. She simply handed me a card and said that I should call next week regarding the ants.

Marriott brand, in particular Courtyard is usually pretty good for family…not this one.

Also, this property is about 30 mins from South Beach and with the tolls that it cost to get back and forth, you would be better off paying a little more to stay downtown Miami or in SOBE

STAY AWAY

Room Tip: My tip on choosing a good room is to pick another hotel
Green Features: I do not know about the environmental friendliness, but they are doing a great job of preserving the ANT species.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
ManagerCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard Miami West/FL Turnpike, responded to this review, January 6, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the Courtyard Miami West/Florida Turnpike. It is our goal to provide each and every guest with the best experience possible at our hotel however we failed to do so during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for unsatisfactory service. We have shared your comments with the staff as a learning experience, and look forward to improved performance as a result of your feedback.

Melissa Benoit
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2014

My aunt, cousin and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in mid December 2014 as we were in Miami from London for our aunts funeral. It was quite a rushed booking and we didn't do as much research as we usually do, but we were happy with our choice.

We were a bit far from the rest of our family who live in Miami Gardens, and there wasn't much in the way of shops etc around the hotel, however we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel offered a free shuttle bus to anywhere within 5 miles, so as were were not driving we utilised this service to the Dolphin Mall and Publix supermarket.

The hotel staff were friendly upon arrival and gave us all the information we needed, even though we checked in after midnight he was still very upbeat and made us feel welcome. The room was very spacious with 2 double beds, a sofa and small table, loads of space for our clothes and a desk area. I would say however that a mirror in the main room was needed, there were 2 large mirrors in the bathroom, but with 3 women getting ready each morning, especially the morning of the funeral, it was rather tricky and I had to wake up extra early to straighten my hair and used a compact mirror for makeup.

The hotel provided coffee cups and water glasses, but only provided 2, even though we were staying in a 4 person room, we had to ring reception most days to ask for an extra cup and glass.

We didn't get to use the hotel facilities as we were there for a short time, but everything looked very clean and well equipped. It was very handy that there was an ATM machine on site, as I didn't have time take much money with me from the UK.

We went to Miami South Beach one day which was quite expensive (approx $70 each way) in the taxi, but well worth the 50 min journey.

The hotel staff were very nice, some were a bit harder to communicate with as it seemed as though their first language was Spanish, but my family informed me that we were staying in the Spanish area, not sure why there is such a segregation..?

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay, we even got free cookies one morning, I usually stay in hotels with complimentary breakfast, but we got some bits from the supermarket and kept it in the room fridge instead.

If I return to Miami for a holiday i'd probably stay closer to the tourist area. The contrast between both areas was quite vast.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Miami West/FL Turnpike? Share your experiences!