“Modern Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 130 hotels in Miami
Barbados
“Modern Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a brief stay at this hotel . All I can say is right now I am at the Holiday Inn and I wish I could return to Courtyard Miami West. Hotel is beautiful and modern. Rooms while not huge are adequate in size , clean and comfortable. Finishes throughout this hotel are outstanding and in general the public areas are extremely clean and inviting. I really regret not booking my entire stay here. Nonetheless , I do have one gripe my room wasn't cleaned over the 3 days I spent there and staff at reception were not that friendly. However, the pros out weigh the cons and I would def stay here again in the future. Beautiful Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great Hotel, location is OK

Good Points:

Very helpful and friendly reception staff
Huge room, clean, good bathroom with great shower
TV channels selection is good
Shop in the hotel has basics and there is a small cafe which serves basic food
Pool and Jacuzzi is great but beware of bugs biting you! but that isnnot the hotels fault, thats just miami
Around 25-30 minutes from Miami Beach
There is a shuttle to Dolphin Mall but we didn't use it.
Didnt eat at the restuarant, but menu is limited.

Bad points:

Location is OK, there is no shops or restaurants nearby that you can walk to. So a car is a must! This hotel is literally off the highway and there is nothing around it.
Closest populated area is Hialeah which is mainly hispanic, not dangerous but we struggled to find any English speaking shops. there is a Walmart around 5 min drive which is good.
Don't forget to buy a Sun Pass if you've got a rental car!!

Room Tip: Get the double queen room even if theres only 2 of you, as price is usually same, but room is huge!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stopped there on my way to Miami to catch a cruise.
The place was mostly clean.
There is no free breakfast there.
The place looks new and the cleaning staff was friendly. I felt a little rushed by the person at the reception while checking out.
The AC unit was dusty and needs to be added to the cleaning routine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just spent two nights here. I know it was in the middle of nowhere but you are really only about 10 minutes away from restaurants etc.. in Doral. What I liked about the hotel were the rooms. Very clean and comfortable bed. Also the black out curtains were the best I've ever seen. If you closed them in the middle of the day you would have no idea it was day time, that's how dark the room stayed.

What I was not so pleased about was the staff. For example we called down for towels and they never sent them. The front desk staff was just not that friendly. The other issue I had was with their small restaurant. I got an order of Hummus and they give you a huge amount of Hummus which is great, however they barely give you any flat bread to eat all the Hummus. When I asked if I can have some more flat bread, I was told I had to order another order of the Hummus. That was crazy to me. Also the hygiene of the girl who worked in the morning was beyond disgusting. She would cough in her hand and then handle food. She would wipe her mouth and do the same. Management needs to train their employees who handle food the proper technique to cough etc.....

Would I stay there again? If the price is right I would. I just wouldn't eat at their restaurant nor try to deal with the front desk because I did like the rooms and in the end that's what is most important.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manhattan, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

There are so many better hotels than this in FL I can't see any reason for staying here. This is one of the worst international chain hotels I stayed at considering the brand name. Everything went wrong start from the beginning. From the perspective of Hotelier front staff and management needs more education, they have no clue about the customer service. Manager on duty that I was dealing with was very lackadaisical. I was promised a late check out during the checking time and but the manager on duty next was almost argue with me and trying explain that she was doing me a favor.

I suggest other friends and co works to not choose this hotel if they go Florida. I will make sure to spread the word to other who works for all Marriott and different properties how they treat the guests. People go for travel with great expectation, and even small things might make their trip as very bad memory.
This time, especially when I checked out the hotel, our Miami trip memory became one of the worst trip ever for me. Nothing is more frustrating than being accused of something you didn't do. I still have problems with my credit card after the trip.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are plenty of hotels in the area. Find someplace where the staff have hot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was in Miami because I had great a rate on my flight and an even better rate at this hotel. When I rented the car the woman asked if I needed a Sunpass but I declined because I decided I would use the "cash" line. Wrong, some highways don't have cash lines. Either you have a Sun pass or they read the tag of the vehicle. Ughhh, I haven't received my bill yet but I was bamboozled twice. Anyway, the hotel was like any other Courtyard and was very spacious. I was able to check in early which was great. The property is located in an industrial area so there's not much to do so you need a car. To avoid the tolls I had to travel a few miles down to get on either 75 or take local streets. The Florida Turnpike is near the hotel but it didn't work for me without having a Sun pass. I would stay there again but be more prepared by bringing my EZ pass.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while celebrating my 30th birthday in Miami. The hotel is new, very well designed, and conformable. The rooms are very nice as well. We didn't have any issues to report and enjoyed out stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Miami West/FL Turnpike? Share your experiences!