“Good location (if you have a car) but bad service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #87 of 130 hotels in Miami
Switzerland
“Good location (if you have a car) but bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Globally, it's a nice hotel, clean, with an outdoor swimming pool (but the weather was not good enough to enjoy it) and a small fitness center.
The service is quite bad. We asked to get a baby cot in the room, we had to ask 3 times for it but we didn't get it. My husband had to go and pick it up himself at the reception and then we had to prepare the bed ourselves...
The room we had first was really noisy, the window had a problem and couldn't close completely, and as we were facing the main road, it was really noisy. We complained but they didn't want to give us another room. After arguing a while, we obtained another room, a little bit bigger than the first one and not as noisy as the first one.
The breakfast is ok but not great. Nothing really tasty (kind of junk food, except yogurt and cereals). And there was so much people that the small breakfast area was most of the time crowded and we had to queue to get a table. And because of the lots of people, they were easily running out of food.
But all in all, the place is ok for a short stay and when you just spend the night there (and go and visit Miami during the day)

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Salt Lake City, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

This hotel was very nice in appearance. The rooms were well kept as were the hallways and the pool. The major downfall from this hotel was the front desk staff. They answered the phone in Spanish no matter what room was calling, and they made promises they didn't keep.

We needed to go to a convenience store to buy some last minute items for our cruise and the staff told us they would call when the shuttle was available (which was said to be 40 minutes.) Two hours later we still hadn't received a call and the front desk staff didn't even apologize when they were called. BEWARE that the shuttle that they say you can get from the cruise port back to the hotel for "9.00 a person" is only available if you have a party of 6 OR MORE so if you're just a couple....be prepared to fork over 40 dollars for a taxi from the cruise port back to the hotel.

Overall, if the staff was more honesty and helpful this would be a great hotel! As it is now I would not want to stay there ever again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

My wife and I travel to Miami every year. For the past couple of years we have seen increasingly deplorable rooms on Miami Beach while prices continued to do up. The last straw was last year, when we had an $85 per night "deal" on a room that was unclean, unsafe, and a fire hazard.

This year we tried to stay by the airport for the first time and got the Holiday Inn Miami Airport West for $60/night through Priceline. We were a little skeptical about the location, as it wasn't close to many of our destinations and we are familiar with the fickle nature of Miami traffic. We were pleasantly surprised, however. Since the hotel is is Galloway Rd. it is on a major north-south artery in the city. Unlike I-95 and the Palmetto expressway, traffic actually moves on this road for most of the day. We had easy access to Coral Gables and all points south. By taking NW 36 St we had easy access to the airport expressway and the beaches without taking the infamous Dolphin expressway. We were actually able to get places we wanted to get to faster, even though we were further away from some of them.

As for the hotel itself, it is a very nice Holiday Inn. The rooms were clean and secure (a plus after last year's debacle). We had plenty of space on a king sized bed. It was quiet (though I don't think many guests were staying when we were there). The staff was very friendly. The only problem we had was minor in that the shower had trouble maintaining a constant temperature. Sometimes it would have trouble getting warm enough, while other times you couldn't get it cool enough. That is hardly a major problem though. The high speed internet was sometimes tricky, but the place had free parking. Free parking is a cherished luxury in Miami for a hotel, so I will take it since, in my opinion, charging for parking is one of the most cheapskate things mankind has invented.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Smyrna, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

I got this hotel for $45 on Priceline, which is a fair price for what you get. I got a room in Tower II, which seemed to have been recently renovated, and it was fairly nice (with a dismal view of a canal!). There is free (but very slow) wireless internet, and free parking as well. If you are using this hotel as a place to spend the night before/after a flight then I think it is a decent choice, but it would not be my idea of a great place to spend a holiday.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Bar Harbor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed for one night before leaving Miami on a cruise. When we arrived at the hotel the lobby looked really nice, that was the only part of the hotel we can say that about. Our room was incredibly musty smelling. There were dehumidifiers in the hallways so there was evidently some water damage to the hotel causing the odor. I happened to have a bottle of Febreeze with me and I ended up using half of it on this hotel room just to make it smell bearable. The staff were not very helpful, in fact one front desk attendant was very rude. I asked him for directions to a nearby marina and he laughed at me and basically told me I was crazy, that no marina by that name existed. I then used the internet in the lobby to look up the address for the marina and showed the front desk attendant that it did in fact exist. To top it all off, the next morning as I was brushing my teeth I looked down to the bathroom counter top to see roaches on it. Thank God we were already checking out that day!

Round Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I needed a post cruise hotel near MIA for one night. I was looking at hotels either near Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (where I started/ended a cruise) using a "conventional" method and didn't see anything within my budget. I decided to try Priceline and bid for an unnamed hotel.

I started by low-balling 4* hotels and that didn't work. I then became reasonable with the offer and the star rating. I bid $75 for a 3* hotel in the Doral area. I needed two rooms, I ended up with this hotel. I've been to Miami and Doral before so I knew how far the city was to the airport. It is really a 15 minute drive, do you really want to be that close to an airport where you might hear airplanes all night? And it has been my experience that neighborhoods right against airports and typically not the best.

From Fort Lauderdale, it is about a 45 minute drive with a bit of traffic. The location is o.k., near industrial parks, and next two a Doral Ale House and a Tony Roma's down the street. The gal at the front desk recommended Mungongo's (Columbian) as a place that shouldn't be missed. The Miami International Mall and the Dolphin Mall are about 15 minute drives from this hotel which have more places to grab a bite.

The rooms are a bit dated and worn. My biggest peeve is a hotel that doesn't use central air, and when a stand alone HVAC is in the room, if it is really loud, that is a big negative. The bathroom fan was also a bit loud and couldn't be switched on/off independently from the light. So when you turn on the light, bam you get this loud fan. I also found the beds to be extremely bouncy, as if the springs were worn.

The lobby is nice with complimentary coffee. The staff was also very friendly willing to help. The Manager came by when I was waiting in the lobby to make sure our family had a nice stay. There's only so much she can do, she probably inheritted the hotel like it is. There is a small outdoor pool, and the "business center" is a desk in a corner of the lobby.

There isn't a free breakfast, what I did was go across the pool area into the Staybridge Suites where they have a complimentary breakfast and helped myself. Yeah I'm being cheap, but what is going to happen to the extra food! And you know they make extra food! It's going in the trash, what a waste, so I helped myself. The keycard locking mechanism wasn't active at that hour so it was easy to walk in. I did get busted by the Manager who saw me @ the Holiday Inn and shortly after that, the keycard mechanism was active.

I think a better Priceline bid would be in the $50 - $60 range. I would stay here again for that amount when I need to rest my head for only one night.

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

There might be better options to stay at for one night before your cruise. My friend and I came after 1:00 am so we had to arrange our own transportation to the hotel. That cost about $25.00 from the airport. I was somewhat dissappointed in our room. Our beds seemed way inferior from a Holiday Inn Express that I had stayed at in Arizona. Plus there was two old soap bars in the shower soap holder and it looked like the garbage cans had not been emptied near the beds. Makes you think what else had not been cleaned. Don't eat in the restaurant. We both had the same vegetable omelet in the restaurant area. The middle tasted cold which makes me think they were made ahead of time and just put in the microwave before serving. That is the only thing we both had the same to eat in the last 24 hours and we both got stomach aches very soon afterwards making several trips to the bathroom. I let the manager know. They said they would call back and never did. However I do want to say that the staff behind the front desk were very nice and helpful during our stay. They arranged transportation to the port which cost $20. a person. We got our room thru price line with a bid of $60.00 plus tax. It does have a computer you can use to get on the Internet which was helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area? Share your experiences!