“What a crappy hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 130 hotels in Miami
Bar Harbor, Maine
“What a crappy hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed for one night before leaving Miami on a cruise. When we arrived at the hotel the lobby looked really nice, that was the only part of the hotel we can say that about. Our room was incredibly musty smelling. There were dehumidifiers in the hallways so there was evidently some water damage to the hotel causing the odor. I happened to have a bottle of Febreeze with me and I ended up using half of it on this hotel room just to make it smell bearable. The staff were not very helpful, in fact one front desk attendant was very rude. I asked him for directions to a nearby marina and he laughed at me and basically told me I was crazy, that no marina by that name existed. I then used the internet in the lobby to look up the address for the marina and showed the front desk attendant that it did in fact exist. To top it all off, the next morning as I was brushing my teeth I looked down to the bathroom counter top to see roaches on it. Thank God we were already checking out that day!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Round Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I needed a post cruise hotel near MIA for one night. I was looking at hotels either near Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (where I started/ended a cruise) using a "conventional" method and didn't see anything within my budget. I decided to try Priceline and bid for an unnamed hotel.

I started by low-balling 4* hotels and that didn't work. I then became reasonable with the offer and the star rating. I bid $75 for a 3* hotel in the Doral area. I needed two rooms, I ended up with this hotel. I've been to Miami and Doral before so I knew how far the city was to the airport. It is really a 15 minute drive, do you really want to be that close to an airport where you might hear airplanes all night? And it has been my experience that neighborhoods right against airports and typically not the best.

From Fort Lauderdale, it is about a 45 minute drive with a bit of traffic. The location is o.k., near industrial parks, and next two a Doral Ale House and a Tony Roma's down the street. The gal at the front desk recommended Mungongo's (Columbian) as a place that shouldn't be missed. The Miami International Mall and the Dolphin Mall are about 15 minute drives from this hotel which have more places to grab a bite.

The rooms are a bit dated and worn. My biggest peeve is a hotel that doesn't use central air, and when a stand alone HVAC is in the room, if it is really loud, that is a big negative. The bathroom fan was also a bit loud and couldn't be switched on/off independently from the light. So when you turn on the light, bam you get this loud fan. I also found the beds to be extremely bouncy, as if the springs were worn.

The lobby is nice with complimentary coffee. The staff was also very friendly willing to help. The Manager came by when I was waiting in the lobby to make sure our family had a nice stay. There's only so much she can do, she probably inheritted the hotel like it is. There is a small outdoor pool, and the "business center" is a desk in a corner of the lobby.

There isn't a free breakfast, what I did was go across the pool area into the Staybridge Suites where they have a complimentary breakfast and helped myself. Yeah I'm being cheap, but what is going to happen to the extra food! And you know they make extra food! It's going in the trash, what a waste, so I helped myself. The keycard locking mechanism wasn't active at that hour so it was easy to walk in. I did get busted by the Manager who saw me @ the Holiday Inn and shortly after that, the keycard mechanism was active.

I think a better Priceline bid would be in the $50 - $60 range. I would stay here again for that amount when I need to rest my head for only one night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

There might be better options to stay at for one night before your cruise. My friend and I came after 1:00 am so we had to arrange our own transportation to the hotel. That cost about $25.00 from the airport. I was somewhat dissappointed in our room. Our beds seemed way inferior from a Holiday Inn Express that I had stayed at in Arizona. Plus there was two old soap bars in the shower soap holder and it looked like the garbage cans had not been emptied near the beds. Makes you think what else had not been cleaned. Don't eat in the restaurant. We both had the same vegetable omelet in the restaurant area. The middle tasted cold which makes me think they were made ahead of time and just put in the microwave before serving. That is the only thing we both had the same to eat in the last 24 hours and we both got stomach aches very soon afterwards making several trips to the bathroom. I let the manager know. They said they would call back and never did. However I do want to say that the staff behind the front desk were very nice and helpful during our stay. They arranged transportation to the port which cost $20. a person. We got our room thru price line with a bid of $60.00 plus tax. It does have a computer you can use to get on the Internet which was helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Dunnville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We stayed here the night before going on a Cruise. It was located a ways away from the Port, but shuttle service was offered for $9.00 per person. Also they have a free shuttle from the airport. They also offered shuttle service within 5 mile radius as long as the shuttle wasn't in use already. They took us to the Dolphin Mall and we just called when we were ready to leave and they came to get us. A good restaurant was close by. Breakfast was included and had lots to choose from. They also had cans of pop and chips, etc.for sale at a reasonable price. Free internet access. Service was excellent.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

We use Priceline for booking precruise hotels. I got too aggressive with pricing on this one and got the Holiday Inn Miami Airport West (Doral) for $75. The main complaint is the hotel is 15 minutes drive from the airport and in a direction opposite from the Port of Miami. the free shuttle bus took 1 hour and several call to pick us up at the airport or the alternative was a $24 cab ride. At the hotel the only 2 restaurants nearby had 45 minute waits. In the morning the choice was the free shuttle back to tjhe airport & then a $24 cab to the port or bit the bullet & pay $45 for a cab direct to the port from the hotel.

• Disliked — Delay on shuttle bus and location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Lafayette, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I was perhaps a little too loose with my Priceline bidding (instead of waiting for a better deal in a better area) and got the 3-star Holiday Inn - Miami Airport West (Doral) for a bid of $55. This hotel was, in my opinion, at the very boundary of what could be considered an "airport" hotel, and their airport shuttle only ran once an hour. We were quite delayed, so once we had collected our bags, we called about the shuttle but, being tired, decided to take a cab instead of waiting the 30 minutes for the shuttle's scheduled arrival. The cab ride ended up being about $23 ... like I said, this hotel is just barely an "airport" hotel.

Once at the hotel, the desk clerk was very nice (though asked for no forms of ID) and gave us a non-smoking room with two beds even though we were of course originally booked in a "Priceline" room that was a king-smoking room. The room was nothing special, but it seemed clean and did offer free, if slow, wi-fi. Being late, we walked next door to the Doral Ale House for dinner which was fairly tasty, had good drink specials, and was packed for the Indy-Jacksonville NFL game.

The next morning we strolled around the neighborhood to find perhaps a cheaper breakfast than what was offered by the Holiday Inn. The neighborhood seemed very walkable and well-kept (unlike some of the war-zone areas I've seen in Miami). We turned right and found absolutely nothing (besides Carnival's headquarters). We then headed back the other way and found a Dunkin' Donuts in a strip mall. After a quick breakfast, it was back to the room to get ready to leave for the ship. We debated on whether or not to take the free shuttle back to the airport to catch a fixed-rate cab to the port or to just have the hotel call us a cab. We went with the latter, and after a 15-minute wait, our cab arrived. A 20-minute and $40 cab ride later, we arrived at the Port of Miami.

This hotel seemed like a fine place to stay, though my final thought is that it is not necessarily convenient as a pre-cruise location.

• Liked — It felt safe and was fairly clean.
  • Disliked — I didn't seem convenient to anything without a car.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

Please allow me to thank this holiday inn west doral,We have a great stay in this hotel,myself & my husband like to explore & walk ,this hotel is close to the dolphin mall,wallmart,food place & airport ,the hotel offer shutlle to the airport & sometimes they will take you to the mall you just be patience to wait for the shuttle as only one shuttle runs from there hotel,The driver manuel give us lot of information around the area of doral,very helpful,the front desk take an effort to help everyone who check in,room is great.Restaurant inside is expensive & theres a bar but pricey you rather go take a little walk you find mcdonalds & small shopping center,just becareful coz this is highway.

• Liked — cheaper price & free shuttle to airport & mall
  • Disliked — front desk need to give more info to the guest what's in doral
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area? Share your experiences!