“Great service, hotel needs a major overhaul” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #83 of 129 hotels in Miami
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great service, hotel needs a major overhaul”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Let's start with the bad.

This hotel looks like every other hotel in the area from the outside. It is probably some stupid local law that makes this so. Where this hotel could stand out is on the interior. The common areas are very well worn and in need of an update from its early-80s decor. The rooms are blander than bland and in need of a major upgrade. For instance, in the year 2013, all hotels should be free of bathtubs in most (if not all) rooms. Modernized standing showers are the way to go. The color scheme is horrible. No coffee maker in the rooms. And no channel guide or local area listings either. The bed was terrible - I never felt like I got a good rest. I do not expect anyone in management or ownership to look at this review.

Now for the good.

The hotel staff were amazing - friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful, and always greeted me by name. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. Parking is plentiful. The breakfast area is efficient and the breakfast is decent.

I would not under any circumstances choose this hotel if I were on vacation. There is the chance that this hotel can stand out on more than its highly skilled staff (I am NOT talking about management, not that I had any dealing with them).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Lang C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. We are delighted to read your positive comments regarding the service delivered by our staff as well as the parking and the breakfast. My apologies for falling short of your expectations with the condition of our hotel. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Curacao
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We chose this hotel as a post-cruise stay for its location so we could shop.

The location is great, easy to find.

Upon check-in (2 rooms), we found the elevator very old, the rooms very tired and one of the rooms was located on the smoker's floor (floor 6). The smokers room was awful and we requested a change of rooms at the front desk.

The female front desk attendant acted as if we lucked out that there was another non-smoking room available and expected us to be grateful.

The rooms were clean, but dated. The airconditioning made SO much noise we couldn't even hear the television.

For 1 night I suppose this hotel is ok, but I will not go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor if you're a non-smoker/
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Myrouck,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are delighted you noticed the cleanliness of the room. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Karen G.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is tired,
At checkin several guest complaining about been placed in smoking rooms, the staff were non committal, "it is what it is" Angela at the front desk was not interested.
I was given a smoking room (had requested non smoking) and I agree it stank and needed deep cleaning.
I was told the restaurant was open but it was closed at "21:20" when the closing time was meant to be 22:00?At the front desk "ohh ah" was the best reply
The breakfast was just Ok, simple and not complicated. The chairs in the breakfast room were dirty and needed deep cleaning.
The staff need training and a shake up.

Room Tip: Non smoking rooms only, the smoking rooms drip of nicotine and the AC just pumps the fumes
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the restaurant and service you received from our staff may have caused. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will certainly be looked into. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, we thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel in the area.

Krysllin G.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at this location for one night prior to heading to the Keys. I have availability of a great corporate rate at this hotel, but even taking that into consideration I doubt that I would ever stay here again. Parking is a nightmare since they allow patrons of the nearby bar to park in the lot, check in is disorganized, and they do not properly block rooms to honor room type, even for elite members of Priority Club. The hotel is rather outdated and, but is clean.

The location was easy to find by GPS. The hotel is in a quiet area, a bit off the freeway so no noise, but does experience noise from the nearby bar. The hotel rather outdated and really in need of a remodel. The lobby is acceptable. On the first floor is a restaurant area and bar but it looked really messy so we did not even attempt to eat breakfast there. We went to a local Dunkin Donuts instead. There is one computer for guest use. There is a small outdoor swimming awkwardly sandwiched between two hotels. They have a small but once again outdated gym with basic cardio equipment and weights.

The staff was friendly but very inefficient. They had failed to block out our room type which we had to argue with them about. Not what we wanted to experience after working all day and then traveling. . There is no free continental breakfast as this is a Holiday Inn, not a Holiday Inn express, that is fine and what we expected. This is definitely the “old” Holiday Inn – not the nicely rebranded Holiday Inn of this decade.

The room was relatively clean, smelled fresh, but very outdated spartan décor. Thad a very nice bed, but worn out pillows - both soft and firm. The curtains in the room are horrible about blocking out the light. Also though there was not any noise from outside, the amount of hall noise, slamming doors, and sound from nearby rooms was excessive. The bathroom relatively large bathroom and plenty of counter space, but once again outdated. The blow dryer was weak.

You had to move the desk to watch TV from the work desk so for a business traveler it was not perfect but was workable. There is free Wi-Fi hotel wide, and it worked fine the one time we tried to use it. Our room had a small fridge and comfortable climate control system. You could not leave the blower motor on for the climate control while having the heat or air on, for white noise!

There are a few dining options in a short driving distance. I was not welcomed as a Priority Club elite member, though we were given one bottle of water and a bag of cookies for two people. Kind of cheesy, either provide it for both people or don’t bother. .

The hotel also did not bother to put the bill under the door over night, causing a delay on departure for the guests.

After talking with the MOD some adjustments were offered, which was kindly agreed to. Unfortunately it took several weeks of calls and email to the hotel with no response before the offer was properly taken care of. (to their credit they did make a larger than originally promised adjustment to make up for the lack of responsiveness)

All in all, I don’t see us choosing this location again if we are in the area, even given the great corporate rate.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing away from the nearby bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear pcsanity,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Nothing special about this property except the fact that it is in Doral. The rooms were comfortable, the staff friendly and the food ok...

I did eat breakfast at the close by Latin America restaurant.

This was a short trip and there was nothing out of the ordinary that I could mention in the review.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Hyginus F,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Acworth, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to Miami on a business trip with my company. Was a quick turnaround - arrived on a Tues and departed on a Weds.

This Holiday Inn wasn't too bad. I was disappointed by accomodations from a Non Smoking room standpoint. I booked a non smoking room which I received. But the people in the adjoining room decided to smoke anyway. Because I was in an adjoining room, the smoke entered my room. I called the front desk and spoke with Angela. She said the best she could do was call them and tell them to stop. Don't think she did because the smoke took a while to stop. Angela would not change my room.

The breakfast the next morning was just so so. My collegues staying at the nearby Hyatt had a MUCH better breakfast. Next time, I will probably stay there. I know the rooms there are better anyway.

Overall, staying at this Holiday Inn wasn't too bad. The rooms are well kept. I was disappointed by the lack of complimentary shampoos. Perhaps an oversight but still and oversight non the less.

If I were to visit this area, this hotel would not be my last resort choice, but certainly not my first.

Room Tip: Ask for the government rate - much cheaper than what my company originally booked. Also, be sure to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear davidga7,

Thank you for staying with us on and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the unusual smell and poor customer service received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Once again, many thanks for your review. We hope to serve you soon and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 1 night in a 2 double bed room. Quiet location, though planes flying by but that was not too bothering.
Bed comfy, not too soft, choice of soft / firm pillow is nice.
Bathroom big enough, clean.
Breakfast is not the "plastic" kind that you get at the Holiday Inn Express, much appreciated eating in a proper plate.
Nice staff. Good wifi.
Not much to do around the hotel but fairly easy to get to.

Been to Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area? Share your experiences!