“Unexpected” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
“Unexpected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Look past the strip mall and you will enjoy a delicious meal and wonderful service! We had the tamale appetizer. Two people had the skirt steak and said it was delicious. The mahi mahi was excellent! The owners and staff were very gracious. The service was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely eat there again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Miami Beach, Florida
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This restaurant was highly recommended and we wanted to check in out for awhile. First of all, this is yucatan cuisine, not your typical mexican, so you need to prepare yourself. The salsa (my favorite part of mexican meal) was ok. Not an over the top experience. The food was good. My husband and I share a mixto of meat and it came with a small ramican of rice. We asked for extra rice and were told there would be additional charge. That would have been fine if the prices were reasonable. That is not the case. The bill was well over $100.00 for four of us. They are not giving the food away and still charging for extras. We walked away after dinner saying we would not be back. It was OK. Not exciting at all.

Visited November 2012
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
“Once again, Excellente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Third time here, first for dinner. same menu either way. They recently doubled the size by taking over the space next door. The new section had brighter lights and need some finishing still.

Finally got Mom to come to Florida to visit so I had bring here to the best Mexican in town.

Drinks came fast and chips with salsa were good. They make everything from scratch everyday.

First, ceviche with tuna and shrimp was clean and refreshing. Pork tamales presented beautifully. Corn meal was soft and tasty, could have used a bit more pork but very high quality.

Tamarindo skirt steak was juicy and perfectly balanced with spices. Mom had the grilled Mahi Mahi special and it was very nice as well.

Please rate these guys high and get them back to #1 where they should be!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami Beach, Florida
“Good Mexican all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I love Mexican food and have high standards, but this place meets it. I come here a few times a year and always bring friends from out of town and it leaves a good impression of Miami on them.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami Shores, Florida
“A good, but pricey mexican restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

After reading the reviews, we arrived with high expectations. It would be too harsh to say that we were disappointed, but we certainly were not blown away either.

The proprietors are very welcoming, and the food rates a solid 'good'. I have to respectfully disagree with those who think this is the best mexican restaurant -- even in Miami, an area not known for its mexican food, you can find better. I found most of what we ordered uninspiring.

I also do not think that the price point is warranted. This is one of the most expensive mexican restaurants I have eaten at -- in Miami or elsewhere -- and I don't think the experience justifies the price. (The place is usually packed, however, so a lot of people apparently disagree with me).

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Cheen Huaye? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cheen Huaye, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.