“Great service, intimate setting, good Mexican food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Miami, Florida
“Great service, intimate setting, good Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Miami does not have many options for exceptional Mexican cuisine like other cities in the US. Cheen Huaye is a good option and what I love about this place is that is located at a random place, you would never know from driving around unless you are looking for this restaurant. I had the "tulum" salad which was very good and a generous portion (something I like about in my saladas). The chicken had a lime/lemony taste to it and it was perfectly cooked. I love the salsas with chips they serve as soon as you sit down. The service is great, they always attend their guests with a smile on their face (I like that). The restaurant is small so you are lucky to get a table inside but even sitting outside is an enjoyable experience.

• Visited February 2012

Miami, Florida
“Expectations not met ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We have been tempted for months to try out the #3 restaurant in Miami, but Cheen Huaye did not pass muster. The setting was plain, the service so-so, and the food was not exceptional. The pork special was the stand out dish, and the margarita was the memorable drink. The Ceviche was way to acidic, and the salsa was flavorless.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Andover, Massachusetts, United States
“Best Mexican Restaurant I've ever been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

including Mexico City. This place blew me away. The salsa was authentic and delicious, guacamole fresh, and the MOLCAJETE MARINERO blew me away. The smell of those grilled green onions was fabulous, and the sauce that the fish was in was perfectly delicately delicious. The tortillas yummy.

The servers were very present and helfpul. And they delivered my food without cilantro, which I can't taste properly.

• Visited August 2012
Dania Beach, Florida
“real mexican flavor in Miami, what a great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

So the choices for mexican food in So. Florida are not very appealing. Either go to a more americanized tex-mex restaurant without authentic flavor or try to find a more authentic restaurant but without the modern/clean feel of more upscale restaurants. Cheen Huaye is just the right mix. The place very welcoming and feels modern and clean. The bar looks great and more importantly, the food and flavors are excellent and truly taste more authentic than anything else I've had down here before. We had the canitas and the stuffed poblano and both were just excellent.
Service was quick and efficient, and our food came out very quickly after ordering it.

We'll be back soon to try other things in the menu!

• Visited August 2012
Galesville, Maryland
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Off the beaten path, but the best dinner we had while on vacation. Looked up Mexican restaurants local to our hotel in Sunny Isles (north of Miami). Had several to choose from, and even drove to a few on our list but kept driving - others just didn't appear to be authentic. Looked at the review of Cheen Huaye and decided to give it a try. SO GLAD WE DID. It's in a small strip of shops, but don't let that discourage you. We pulled in and were greeted by the owner who opened the door for us. We were immediately seated at a table and were served drinks right away. It's small, but seems they are expanding to the space next door. Nicely decorated - very comfortable. The waiter was more pleasant than anyone I've run into in years. He was very informed about every item on the menu and gave us a few suggestions. We took his advice on one dish and ordered a personal favorite as another dish. You can see the food being cooked and prepared, and the food was served in a timely manner. As we were eating, the owner came over to our table (as well as other tables) to ask if we were satisfied with our choices. He was also very pleasant, and described how Southern Mexican food is different than typical Mexican food. There are many restaurants in my hometown that I would consider "authentic" Mexican but Cheen Huaye is different. Their food seems more fresh, and they use ingredients I've never tasted before. Portion sizes were fantastic for the price, too.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Cheen Huaye? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cheen Huaye, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.