“Nice hotel with good views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Opera Suites & Marina

You added Opera Suites & Marina to your Saves list
Opera Suites & Marina
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1750 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33132 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #10 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Nakkila, Finland
“Nice hotel with good views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We had two bedroom apartment and it was huge with good kitchen. Everything was allright; quiet, clean and comfortable.

Markku Salo Finland Nakkila

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I really love this hotel even though it was more like a condo style apartment. The furniture and decor was very trendy and chic. I was misinformed that there were a sofa bed and it was not. The hotel clerk sent up the rollaway bed for free the next day and let my friend sleep in another room. The kitchen came in handy for late night snacks and making breaksfast. We also had a washer and dryer that we used to have clean clothes in the room.
The location was Downtown and in my opinion it was an up and coming neighborhood. I would not recommend to go walking to far. We were only a 5 minute drive from South Beach and walking distance to the American Airline Arena.

I really like the room decor, I really felt the Miami lifesytle
I did not like the parking, parking spots were hard to find and most was on upper level and you had to squeeze the car in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
São Paulo - Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Opera Suites & Marina is not a real hotel, just an appartment building that rents some of their suites to ill-advised guests.
We had made a reservation for it at 1800Hotels website. We have relied on the informations provided both on their website and the hotel's website, which state that it is a boutique luxury hotel ("As the most luxurious extended stay hotel in Miami, comfort and convenience is what Opera Suites & Marina is all about. Whether you're looking to spend a few nights-or even a few months-we offer fully-furnished accommodations with the privacy and spaciousness you'd expect in your own home. right here in Miami's happening design district.") .
When we arrived, we immediately saw this was not the case, but we decided to stay, since we had already paid for the whole 4-day stay. But after 2 days we realized that it was impossible to stay in that hotel.
These are the problems we found:
- the place seemed clean, but the carpet on the bedroom was badly stained
- the bedcover was worn out and frayed
- the Venetian blinds were broken and the ropes were tangled, making it difficult to open or close them
- the cookware was stained and dirty
- the closet was big, but had only 2 shelves and a few hangers; the clothes had to remain in the luggage
- the balcony was unfinished, and the floor was just raw cement, dirty and stained
- the bathroom was pitiful, with a small sink and a small bathtube, a burned out lightbulb, but surprisingly a good shower in the bathtube
- the general appearance was that they had started to finish the decoration, but midtime they ran out of money and finished everything with very low-quality materials
- the service was non existent: every demand we made (in writing) - one pillow, kitchen cloths, a new bedcover, more hangers - was not fully complied with and needed to be reinforced several hours later, because they had not yet delivered all the items; in addition, they had no personnel whatsoever and the front desk girl herself had to make some of the deliveries
- on the second day, they changed the bed sheets, but it seemed like they were used ones because, according to the girl at the front desk, "they are not used to iron the bed sheets; they take them off the washing-drying machine and place them directly on the bed" - this is hardly what you would expect from a hotel, let alone a boutique hotel!
- the last drop was the fire alarm: after 7-8pm we started to hear an intermitent whistle that we couldn't place. After some time, we talked to the front desk and were informed that it was the fire alarm. We were actually asked to deactivate it, so that it won't start again, but, as you can imagine, this would be highly hazardous.
Nevertheless, we did as told, but the noise continued. The front desk sent up the security guy, who told us he couldn't do anything and that he would ask the front desk to call maintenance and possibly the fire department. We waited until 01am but the front desk didn't answer, even after we made a new call. The point is, they didn't care. It was impossible to stay in the room because we couldn't sleep (the noise was intermitent) and we were afraid that something might get seriously wrong.
As a result of all this trouble, we were forced to look for another hotel at 01:30am, since we were afraid to remain in that unsafe place, that had also proved not to be a normal and decent hotel.
We paid for 4 hotel nights and had instead a big problem that impaired our sleep, our patience, and our vacation.
We wrote to 1800Hotels, and they offered an apology but, to date, they haven't give us any compensation for this regrettable stay.
Fortunately, we ended up at the Grand Beach Hotel, in Miami Beach, which is a new and wonderful hotel, with a very good management.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Santos, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

After reading so many good reviews I decided to go to Opera Suites in Miami. In fact I got an awesome rate of U$ 139 + tx for a 2 bedroom suite at easyclicktravel. Check in was fine, very fast. I was travelling with one pregnant wife, one 2 year old child, my mother in law and my brother in law. As soon as arrive in the hotel I asked from someone's help to get the bags to the room. We had 10 bags and the front desk women said that there was nobody to help but I could borrow the cart from the security office. Well, the security said that there was no cart available and I had to get all the bags by myself to the 39th floor. As soon as I enter the room I was expecting the amazing view as everybody are stating in the reviews but they gave me a city view room, looking to the MIA airport....ugly view....The room was nice, I cannot tell the contrary because I would be lie but, there was no towels, no trash, not enough pillows... I went to the kitchen and there was nothing....no glasses, no plates no forks no nothing....the sink food processor was broken with food like Japanese sushi floating in the dirty water...very disgusting. Why you need a kitchen without appliances and utensils? If you decide to rent this apart hotel you must go somewhere to buy all stuff
I went to the front desk (by that time I was having fever of 39C due a virosis) and ask for someone to help. The women said that they could move to another room, another one at floor 41 but with the same city view. I said no, I wouldn't move all bagas by myself again alone and I could wait the next day for someone to help us with the food processor. I got back to the room to take a shower and guess what? There was no curtain in the main bathroom. Again I went back to the front desk (if you can call it a front desk) and asked again for a curtain. OK, they just put it. We went to sleep at night and tried to close the window shield. Guess what? It was broken....I didn't want to wake up with the sun in my face neither sleep using sunscreen lotion so I got back again to the front desk and the women gave me the key of apartment 4115 (we were on 3715). We went there to check, and gues what? Windows shield also broken. Ok what should I do? I called again asking for an extra blanket so I could cover part of the window.
Second day I was ecpecting someone to fix the food processor and the window shield. Guess what? Nobody fixed anything....
The poing is, this is not a hotel and will never be this way. If you like dogs this is probablu the best place to go. I have never see so many dogs in my life, neither in a pet shop, all kind. I love dogs but when my brother in law went to the swimming pool area to see the hotel infrastructure someone throw feces (brown water) through the window and almost hit him. This has happened exactly in the same side of our balcony. As soon as he got back to the room he told me this and we opened the balcony and the brow water smelling feces had also hit our balcony. We just closed the balcony but the smell was already in the room. It least for the whole day...I prefer to believe that someone throw animal waste, instead of human feces. Again I went to the front desk and told them this and guess what? They told me that they would make something to fix it...
If I would make the reservation through the hotel website I would leave in the next day to any days inn in the area but unfortunately I had already paid for 4 nights.
I'm not used to stay at Ritz Carlton and Four Season but this is one of the most disgusting places I've been in my life. I've been at so many good places in Miami as The National, The Palms Hotel, Metropole (a must), Sisty Sixty Resort and Opera is the worst by far.....Runaway from here if you can.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Palm Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for the Jazz in the Gardens festival. This place was definitely one of highlights of our trip. The room was beautiful ;nicely furnished and very relaxing. This not a full service hotel and if you are a customer who needs a lot of attention and direction then this not the place for you. Its more like a friend let you use there awesome condo for the weekend.The view is breathtaking. no matter if you have a bay or city view. We had a 2 bedroom that was very spacious. We stayed for 2 days; never got our room cleaned and had to ask for washcloths. Valet service was good $15/day and kinda worth it. The place defintely has the potential to be top notch if properly staffed. I am looking for to going back.....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

This was one of the very few times the pics on the hotel's website is actually what I seen when I arrived to the site. The view is gorgeous. The service was good. The valet parking is reasonable compared to South Beach valet parking. We stayed in a two-bedroom accommodation. The king master bedroom was clearly the better. It had more room, larger closet, and a better bathroom. The only problems we had with the queen/full master bedroom was the sink was constantly clogging. The doors were sliding doors , so there was a lack of privacy in the queen/full bedroom. Also, out of five elevators three were down. We got to see the one-bedroom and it was nice as well.
Overall, the I would return and recommend this hotel to a friend. I'm actually getting ready to book this hotel again with my girlfriend in May for the Festival '10 (close to Bayfront Park). Last weekend (3/18/10-3/22/10) I went with the guys for Spring Break '10

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
GardeniaPalm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

On the one hand, the view was great. On the other, I had to be careful where I stepped while getting to the balcony to see it.

I arrived midweek for my four night stay. I was given a 1 bedroom on the 56th floor. When I got off the elevator and opened the door... WOW! What a view! I could see downtown, Brickell, the Venetian Islands, the Port of Miami, just about everything south of the building.

The floors were a white polished stone and I thought everything was fabulous, until closer inspection.

There was an immense amount of long hairs all over the floors of the unit. The carpet going in to the bedroom was torn, the area rug in the living room was filthy and the floor to ceiling windows hadn't been wash since the building was built, it seemed.

Normally I take pictures of the bad, but I was so grossed out I had to immediately begin cleaning. After I removed the hairs and scrubbed down the bathroom, I thought all would be well.

10 PM comes and I take down the covers to crawl in to bed and fitted sheet is turned inside out, there are the same long hairs all over and big black marks all along the pillows.

I went downstairs but the woman at the desk was on the phone and didn't look up and I think was pretending to not see or hear me.

Since the units come with wash and dryers, I went back up and threw the sheets in the wash.

The shower head and jets were very nice, but the tub didn't drain well and I ended up standing in a big puddle every time I got in. Towels were worn.

I'm torn because on the one hand the view and location were good and the furnishings in the condo were also good (I loved the sofa) On the other hand, the unit had obviously not been cleaned and then housekeeper simply made the bed as opposed to changing the sheets.

The bottom line is the rate their asking on some sites ($300-$400 a night) is NOT NOT NOT NOT worth it!!! I cannot stress that enough! I paid $104 a night and for that price, it WAS worth it. I wouldn't pay any more then $140 a night for a one bedroom.

If you're coming for an extended stay, it's a good place to stay, just expect that you'll have to clean when you get there as well as do laundry.

There is a pool, hot tub and sauna as well as a gym in the building on the 11th floor and that was a nice feature to have. Being a residential building, the facilities were never crowded like they are at traditional hotels.

I would recommend this hotel ONLY with the stipulation of price I mentioned above.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Opera Suites & Marina? Share your experiences!