“Great Visit!” 5 of 5 stars

770 NE 125th Street, Miami, FL 33161
Improve this listing
Ranked #115 of 204 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) is dedicated to making contemporary art accessible to diverse audiences – especially underserved populations – through the collection, preservation and exhibition of the best of contemporary art and its art historical influences.The Museum of Contemporary Art is known for its provocative and innovative exhibitions, and for seeking a fresh approach in examining the art of our time. The museum maintains an active exhibition schedule, presenting 8 to 10 exhibitions annually.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great Visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I came to this museum on a trip to Miami with friends from England and I have to say this is an amazing place! Brilliant exhibition. I wasn't familiar with the artist, Bill Viola, but I loved the pieces and the museum made it a more intimate experience. Loved it!

Visited January 2013

West Palm Beach, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Interesting, not overwhelming.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I visited on a Sunday and took advantage of BofA's free museum entry program. The current exhibit is interesting and worth seeing. I won't try to describe each video but will tell you it helps to talk to the staff about the video or use a QR reader to get information on each video.
The building itself is very small so when you visit don't expct multiple floors or multiple wings. It is small but can hold many pieces of work.
Bonus to tjhe area....iI the immediate area are sme great mid century furniture stores.

Miami, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Bill Viola Exhibit at MOCA is Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were not familiar with the work of this artist, but wanted to find something to do to spend time with friends over the holidays. We are happy we decided to explore this exhibition, which consists of 15 video pieces. Be sure to take the time to explore each one - if you just walk through without engaging in each piece you will miss the point! My favorite pieces were "Observance," "The Quintent of the Astonished," and "Three Women," but they are each absorbing. This exhibit is there until March 5, 2013.

Visited December 2012
Silver Spring, Maryland
272 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 298 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went out of our way to see the museum which at the far north end of Miami. The museum is fairly small but has plans for expansion. I didn't see much of a permanent collection. The current exhibit really wasn't an exhibit. MOCA had invited several artists to move their studios to the galleries (Trading Places). Only one of the artists was present on a weekend and it was pleasant to talk to him about his drawings and concepts. The rest of the studios in the galleries were unmanned and pretty disorganized. Before going to MOCA I'd check online to make sure that there is an exhibit that interests you. Parking is free and convenient.

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“A Must See for Art Lovers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Although a bit out of the way for most visitors to Miami Beach, the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami is really one that ought not be missed. I go every time I'm in Miami and each visit is a pleasure. It's a fairly small museum but they have really first rate shows and one of the best museum stores anywhere. They are currently in a fundraising drive to expand and I do wish them good fortune on this endeavor. Current exhibition includes works by Ed Ruscha and Ragnar Kjartansson from Iceland. Kjartansson's video pieces are both funny and thought provoking. Unlike many galleries and museums the staff at MOCA are exceedingly helpful and friendly. In fact on my last visit I got into an intelligent conversation with one of the security guards about one of Kjartansson's videos. If you're staying in Miami Beach MOCA is straight up I-95 to NE 125th Street. Not the best of neighborhoods but well worth the trip.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank ScottInIndia

Been to Museum of Contemporary Art? Share your experiences!