“Another example of Miami's poor museum offerings.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
3251 S Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33129 (Coconut Grove)
305-250-9133
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1916 as a winter retreat, this lavish villa is a tribute to the Italian Renaissance. The museum contains much of the original furnishings and artwork, and is surrounded by lush, formal gardens.
Orlando, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“Another example of Miami's poor museum offerings.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

While Miami is a city that I would recommend everyone visit at least once in their life, its cultural offerings are really limited to the money and eccentricity of South Beach more than they are the standard downtown, government or private organizations that you'll find in most large cities. With such high ratings for the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, I was honestly expecting so much more. If you would like to see an old mansion with a first-rate museum and gardens in Florida then visit the John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota to see what you're truly missing because this place was easily forgettable. The gardens are a huge disappointment. No color whatsoever, just a bland green foliage presentation which is easily rivaled by a number of tourist garden offerings in the state of Florida. The mansion is the highlight of the visit which includes a large three-story stone estate that appears has done very little to refurbish the furniture and interior decoration of this early 20th century estate which gives you a feeling of stepping back in time. The walkways and garden structures appear to be falling apart and the manor smells of mildew which does keep the historical authenticity intact but mostly just leaves you with an empty feeling and the notion that it must have been nice to have that much money in the 1920's when the estate was in its prime, but the beauty is long gone.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
“Must not miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Place had a breathtaking view of Biscayme Bay. Gorgeous sorroundings. You could just image the glamourous parties in the house. Beautiful.

Visited September 2012
wakefield
15 attraction reviews
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Beautiful and interesting place, lovely building and gardens and views. You can get a drink and snack.

Miami Gardens, Florida
65 attraction reviews
“PLAYING TOURIST AT VIZCAYA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Played tourist today and went to Vizcaya on a livingsocial coupon (love groupon,
living social, couptessa etc). Place is BIG with lots of coral steps (saw two
wheelchair access and map shows 3) May be hard to push in the gardens since most of the
walkways are coral. (Reminds me of the Coral Castle in Homestead)
Handicapped can access the building cause I saw an elevator. There's lots of
coral steps and signs to make you aware. I have problems with steps and my
bifocals so I take my glasses off so I don't take a tumble. If you have problems walking
you may have a problem with the coral. JUST BE CAREFUL. The gardens are beautiful
and there were professional photophers taking pictures. Love the old trees and
the landscaping. When Deering was building the house he use Fla plants and didn't want any
trees cut down. Gardeners moved one at night per the tapes for a drive way,
Deering never knew. The building is for people who like art (which isn't me) I liked the
ceilings and floor. The walls, tapestry, furniture are UGH but that's me. Kitchen is
small and thought it would have been bigger. Loved the Winchester mansion in California
alot better with its crazy history. Vizcaya has a nice gift
shop and cafe with some great smelling food (didn't try it, I had a taste for a whopper).
There's no photo taking in the house but sneak a few of the ceiling (no flash, know
that hurts the items, learned that the hard way in Salem Ma. almost got my camera
taken away).
As a kid my family when Vizcaya wasn't a home or belonged to the county would
sneak in and I'd play in the pool area chasing small crabs while my family caught
crabs. Sure looked alot small than it did today but I was only 5 or 6. The barge in
the bay is breathtaking in my opinion. Went on a jet ski and have a pic of me with
Vizcaya in the background I was so happy I finally was on the water looking back at the
house. You can spend a number of hours in the house and grounds. I going to the
Deering estate down the road now and check that out in a month or so.
Remember to get an audio tape of the place. It cost $5.00 but I thought well worth
the price. I have to lose some weight cause I look like a whale in the pictures and
I don't stand straight or open my eye when I'm taking my own picture..ha ha

Saint Paul, Minnesota
26 attraction reviews
“Silly and grandiose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

So, you are a rich Chicagoan who gets lots of money from founding International Harvester. You have more money than sense. What to do? Build a crazy faux European mansion in Miami full of furniture and rugs you picked up in Europe. Worth a visit to marvel at the crazy boat made of coral he put as a breakwater just in front of the mansion. One wonders what kind of insane parties he must have thrown there. A sort of sad pretend European mansion in the wrong place...I'd call it Faded Glory.