“Waste of money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #89 of 122 attractions in Miami
Type: Art Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Since 1996, MAM has been a showcase of international and Western art, including photographs, paintings, sculpture and other mediums, from 1940 to the present.
Breda, The Netherlands
12 attraction reviews
“Waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

$5 parking and $8 each to see ONE ROOM of art. I say art but there were NO paintings, just a few photos and a couple of abstract pieces. We were out in 10 minutes. Don't waste your money.

Illinois
22 attraction reviews
“Far below expectations - don't bother!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

After viewing 1 exhibit featuring 1 artist and 3 security guards, I asked if there was a second floor or something else I may have missed. The answer: "No, there was another exhibit but we took it down on Sunday." Oh. I don't know why they bother having this museum at all.

This would have been an absolute waste of my time and money if I hadn't bought a combo ticket for the Miami History Museum.

Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
18 attraction reviews
“Worth A Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

True, the location in what could only be described as a "rundown" part of downtown Miami isn't the greatest of assets of the Miami Art Museum, but on several visits I've found the museum's exhibits quite good. There is a focus on local and Latin artists - mainly contemporary - which I've found very interesting. In fact their current exhibition "Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedia" was excellent. Sure, you won't see Picasso and Monet here, but if you're at all interested in Miami's local and Latin art scene I recommend a visit. It's quite easy to get to even if the area is a bit sketchy. It's near the municipal courts and police headquarters. Street parking is easy. And in the same complex is a public library that is both a beautiful building inside and has rotating art exhibits of local artists. It too is worth a look see.

Visited August 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
17 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went to this on a combination ticket with History Miami. There were only two temporary exhibitions - both very modern and not very engaging. Obviously, the Wolfsonian is the real broad-spectrum art museum for this area.

Visited August 2012
21 attraction reviews
“Small, 1st floor closed, students admitted free, not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Exhibit was a bit interesting but rather small...son and I were in and out pretty quickly...discussed a few pieces... After visiting museums in DC and NYC I guess I expected more. Unless there is a specific exhibit I really want to see, I would avoid returning. The best part of our visit to the MAM was the walk through downtown Miami...the shops, architecture, restaurants....

Been to Miami Art Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Miami Art Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.