“Far below expectations - don't bother!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 122 Attractions in Miami
Type: Art Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Since 1996, MAM has been a showcase of international and Western art, including photographs, paintings, sculpture and other mediums, from 1940 to the present.
Illinois
22 attraction reviews
“Far below expectations - don't bother!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

After viewing 1 exhibit featuring 1 artist and 3 security guards, I asked if there was a second floor or something else I may have missed. The answer: "No, there was another exhibit but we took it down on Sunday." Oh. I don't know why they bother having this museum at all.

This would have been an absolute waste of my time and money if I hadn't bought a combo ticket for the Miami History Museum.

Visited September 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
18 attraction reviews
“Worth A Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

True, the location in what could only be described as a "rundown" part of downtown Miami isn't the greatest of assets of the Miami Art Museum, but on several visits I've found the museum's exhibits quite good. There is a focus on local and Latin artists - mainly contemporary - which I've found very interesting. In fact their current exhibition "Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedia" was excellent. Sure, you won't see Picasso and Monet here, but if you're at all interested in Miami's local and Latin art scene I recommend a visit. It's quite easy to get to even if the area is a bit sketchy. It's near the municipal courts and police headquarters. Street parking is easy. And in the same complex is a public library that is both a beautiful building inside and has rotating art exhibits of local artists. It too is worth a look see.

Visited August 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
17 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went to this on a combination ticket with History Miami. There were only two temporary exhibitions - both very modern and not very engaging. Obviously, the Wolfsonian is the real broad-spectrum art museum for this area.

Visited August 2012
21 attraction reviews
“Small, 1st floor closed, students admitted free, not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Exhibit was a bit interesting but rather small...son and I were in and out pretty quickly...discussed a few pieces... After visiting museums in DC and NYC I guess I expected more. Unless there is a specific exhibit I really want to see, I would avoid returning. The best part of our visit to the MAM was the walk through downtown Miami...the shops, architecture, restaurants....

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“A start, but not a museum befitting such a large city”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Perhaps it is because I once lived in the Detroit area and regularly enjoyed the massive collections housed at the city's Institute of Arts, and have visited similar museums in perhaps a dozen other U.S. destinations, but our first and only visit to the Miami Art Museum was quite disappointing. Granted, Detroit had the advantage of massive donations from the Fords and Kresges, but Miami has its corporate philanthropies and they don't seem to have been directed here judging by the overall size of the building and the limited collections housed within. We expected to enjoy a two to three hour visit, but even stopping to admire select items in most galleries, we were finished in less than 90 minutes.

How can a community so rich in cultural diversity, and with major commercial philanthropies and a famously wealthy population (Star Island, the oceanfront, etc) have such a small city art museum? It's puzzling, but the same is true in Atlanta, where we lived for a few years after leaving Michigan.

There are, unquestionably, some fine and important collections and individual masterpieces here, but the sum of all galleries is, well, underwhelming. We were also frankly annoyed at the peculiar ratio of security guards to visitors in every single room. There always seemed to be at least two uniformed guards in even the smallest of galleries, which in some cases are not much larger than a big living room. They would irritatingly follow individual visitors around corners of display walls and from one room to another. I am a scrupulously honest person and it made me feel terribly uncomfortable, as it did my fellow visitor.

If you buy a combo ticket that also includes the history museum, it is worth a brief visit.

Visited November 2011

Been to Miami Art Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Miami Art Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.