Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
and up
Go Miami Card
Ranked #86 of 284 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: The Frost Museum of Science aims to make a difference in people's lives by inspiring them to appreciate the impact that science and technology can have on every facet of our world. For over 60 years, the Museum's award-winning educational programs, family-focused exhibits, historic planetarium, and rehabilitative Wildlife Center and Clinic have enriched locals and tourists alike. In 2015, the legacy continues, when we move to a new world-class, state-of-the-art facility in the heart of downtown Miami. The Museum will remain operational at its current location on South Miami Avenue until completion of the new building. Frost Museum of Science is accredited by the American Association of Museums and is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. The museum is located at 3280 South Miami Avenue, Miami, FL 33129. The Museum is open every day from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm. Admission is free for children under 3; 10.95 for students (with valid ID), seniors (62+) and children 3 - 12; 14.95 for adults. Parking is free. The Museum is funded with the support of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners.
Columbus, Oh
9 attraction reviews
“Underrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

The other reviewers are right to an extent--my first impression of the museum left me appalled (esp. the smell of the carpets). I thought we would be out within an hour. But my husband (a Berkeley engineer) insisted there was a lot of interesting stuff. We ended up spending several hours there and, most surprising of all, my kids (4 & 6) LOVED it. If you belong to another member science museum, can get in free, and have a rainy day to spare, it's worth a few hours. The experience is the exact opposite of the Children's Museum, which we visited the following day. The CM is all glitz, but seems designed more to impress parents than to amuse children (i.e. parents everywhere trying out things and attempting to interest bored children).

Hertfordshire
3 attraction reviews
“What a rip-off - do NOT go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My daughter (21) and I were keen to visit this as we no longer have a planetarium and we so much enjoyed the one in New York. We paid about $25 which was about $25 dollars too much. Even if it had been free, I would have felt we had been ripped off!

The exhibits were pathetic, the place was grubby and run-down, and the planetarium show was tenth-rate and not the slick, sophisticated, educational presentation we have grown to expect these days. There were a few scruffy, ill-kept animals outside in the searing heat (about 90 degrees F) - I guess they don't have the equivalent of the RSPCA in Miami, or they would have been closed down. They seemed to be concentrating all their efforts on a Hallowe'en day exhibit, which actually comprised stall-holders trying to sell home-made tat to anyone who had been foolish enough to pay the entrance fee. We plodded on but many of the exhibits did not work and eventually we gave up.

We were only there about three-quarters of an hour and when we asked for our money back, they refused, saying that the museum was intended for children and school parties. If it is, why not mention this before adults pay to go in? British school children would certainly not be fooled by such a pathetic display. I suggested that they make a fact-finding visit to the New York or London museums but if they cannot afford this, perhaps learn a few lessons from Disney.

I have just looked at their website which shows a very futuristic picture of the museum - this is just a proposed design and in no way reflects the run-down reality. Do not be fooled. This museum deserves a zero rating but unfortunately the review template does not allow this.

Salem, MA
“It was okay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Museum of Science Miami wasn't really worth the trip away from South Beach and Downtown as they only offer 1 to 2 exhibits and I visited in the middle of an exhibition change. So I only had a chance to see the CSI Insects exhibit. But overall I was a little disappointed at the size of the Museum and the presentation of the whole experience. But the docent on duty that afternoon was there was really smart about insects and the CSI show.

Miami
“Museum of Science??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I used to go there as a child 20 years ago so when I took my son there today, we were both excited. WHat a HUGE disappointment! He had fun (he's six and easy to please) but, my gosh everything looked terrible. It was depressing! The carpet reeked and made the whole place smell awful. THe exhibits were really lame and the museum is tiny. Even the poor creatures in the "Wildlife Center" outside looked sad. They do have a bald eagle which is a shame because his cage area is really pathetic looking. I really wish they'd give this place a facelift.

Ballston Spa, NY
“worst science museum ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I generally love science museums, but this one was truly pathetic. Half of the museum was dedicated to a cultural guest exhibit - interesting, perhaps, but had nothing at all to do with science. Most of the regular exhibits were missing or broken. The planetarium show was okay, but it was more a commentary on how people should "stop and smell the roses" than an educational show. We spent about an hour and a half at the museum, which was more than enough time to see everything there. Don't waste your money!