Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
and up
Go Miami Card
Ranked #86 of 200 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Owner description: The current location of the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science is closed and will re-open at its new location in downtown Miami's Museum Park in summer 2016. The museum will continue to activate in and around South Florida via its "Out & About with Frost Science" outreach program, bringing educational science experiences to the community. The new Frost Science will be structured around a lushly landscaped indoor and outdoor Living Core Aquarium of terrestrial and aquatic environments, featuring a Gulf Stream Aquarium experience totaling over 500,000 gallons of salt water. The facility will also feature the state-of-the-art, full-dome Frost Planetarium, the Knight Learning Center, Innovation Center and Cafe, and an Exploration Center featuring permanent interactive exhibits. The Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science is funded with the support of Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners.
Columbus, Oh
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

The other reviewers are right to an extent--my first impression of the museum left me appalled (esp. the smell of the carpets). I thought we would be out within an hour. But my husband (a Berkeley engineer) insisted there was a lot of interesting stuff. We ended up spending several hours there and, most surprising of all, my kids (4 & 6) LOVED it. If you belong to another member science museum, can get in free, and have a rainy day to spare, it's worth a few hours. The experience is the exact opposite of the Children's Museum, which we visited the following day. The CM is all glitz, but seems designed more to impress parents than to amuse children (i.e. parents everywhere trying out things and attempting to interest bored children).

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What a rip-off - do NOT go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My daughter (21) and I were keen to visit this as we no longer have a planetarium and we so much enjoyed the one in New York. We paid about $25 which was about $25 dollars too much. Even if it had been free, I would have felt we had been ripped off!

The exhibits were pathetic, the place was grubby and run-down, and the planetarium show was tenth-rate and not the slick, sophisticated, educational presentation we have grown to expect these days. There were a few scruffy, ill-kept animals outside in the searing heat (about 90 degrees F) - I guess they don't have the equivalent of the RSPCA in Miami, or they would have been closed down. They seemed to be concentrating all their efforts on a Hallowe'en day exhibit, which actually comprised stall-holders trying to sell home-made tat to anyone who had been foolish enough to pay the entrance fee. We plodded on but many of the exhibits did not work and eventually we gave up.

We were only there about three-quarters of an hour and when we asked for our money back, they refused, saying that the museum was intended for children and school parties. If it is, why not mention this before adults pay to go in? British school children would certainly not be fooled by such a pathetic display. I suggested that they make a fact-finding visit to the New York or London museums but if they cannot afford this, perhaps learn a few lessons from Disney.

I have just looked at their website which shows a very futuristic picture of the museum - this is just a proposed design and in no way reflects the run-down reality. Do not be fooled. This museum deserves a zero rating but unfortunately the review template does not allow this.

Salem, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“It was okay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Museum of Science Miami wasn't really worth the trip away from South Beach and Downtown as they only offer 1 to 2 exhibits and I visited in the middle of an exhibition change. So I only had a chance to see the CSI Insects exhibit. But overall I was a little disappointed at the size of the Museum and the presentation of the whole experience. But the docent on duty that afternoon was there was really smart about insects and the CSI show.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Museum of Science??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I used to go there as a child 20 years ago so when I took my son there today, we were both excited. WHat a HUGE disappointment! He had fun (he's six and easy to please) but, my gosh everything looked terrible. It was depressing! The carpet reeked and made the whole place smell awful. THe exhibits were really lame and the museum is tiny. Even the poor creatures in the "Wildlife Center" outside looked sad. They do have a bald eagle which is a shame because his cage area is really pathetic looking. I really wish they'd give this place a facelift.

Ballston Spa, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“worst science museum ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I generally love science museums, but this one was truly pathetic. Half of the museum was dedicated to a cultural guest exhibit - interesting, perhaps, but had nothing at all to do with science. Most of the regular exhibits were missing or broken. The planetarium show was okay, but it was more a commentary on how people should "stop and smell the roses" than an educational show. We spent about an hour and a half at the museum, which was more than enough time to see everything there. Don't waste your money!