“Great Center” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 120 Attractions in Miami
Type: Science Museums, Observatories/ Planetariums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Frost Museum of Science aims to make a difference in people's lives by inspiring them to appreciate the impact that science and technology can have on every facet of our world. For over 60 years, the Museum's award-winning educational programs, family-focused exhibits, historic planetarium, and rehabilitative Wildlife Center and Clinic have enriched locals and tourists alike. In 2015, the legacy continues, when we move to a new world-class, state-of-the-art facility in the heart of downtown Miami. The Museum will remain operational at its current location on South Miami Avenue until completion of the new building. Frost Museum of Science is accredited by the American Association of Museums and is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. The museum is located at 3280 South Miami Avenue, Miami, FL 33129. The Museum is open every day from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm. Admission is free for children under 3; 10.95 for students (with valid ID), seniors (62+) and children 3 - 12; 14.95 for adults. Parking is free. The Museum is funded with the support of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners.
Miami, Florida
23 attraction reviews
“Great Center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This is a great center, the only thing it is too small for many people visiting there, some times big lines for Observatory, but I am reading now they are going to open a modern center in 2015 , it is not expensive the tickets to go, you can see there some interesting things about science , an aquarium with reef fishes , films about space and very interesting photos about planet and our galaxy , I think the best thing there it is the Observatory, it has two powerful Meade telescopes, each first Friday of the month a free Planetarium show precedes Observatory session. Observatory dependent on the weather. Observatory hours from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. you can view the planets, the four moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn and deep sky objects such as galaxies, nebulas and double stars, I think they need to offer more food options with more affordable prices, not to many places around here to use an Observatory, it is a very nice place where the center is, but at night is a little alone and dark, not too many lights to go walking or using metro, I hope the new one improve this problem, it is centric I think, easy to go from downtown, Miami beach, Kendall, airport , it is almost close to key biscayne, you can go by bus, metro at the Vizcaya Metro rail station or by car, you have parking there, it is a great idea to visit this center.

Visited July 2013

“FINALLY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Being Miami born and raised I have always wanted to go to the museum but have honestly never been able to due to either lack of time, funds or even sometimes energy. My boyfriend FINALLY took me after asking for over four years . Let me tell you I was NOT disappointed . The temperature was enjoyable , not too hot or too cold. Employees where very knowledgable & courteous & offered discounts for banking with BOA & being a student . So many cool hands-on activities which aren't only fun but educational. Tons of cool "classes" & shows, animals (which is a nice surprise because I wasn't expecting it) from reptiles to birds & even ENORMOUS tortoises. Some cool grown mangroves in order to be planted & help spread & preserve them but hands down the best of all for me was the planetarium .

Speaker was very kind , patient and knew his stuff . I fell in love & learned so much! Every nightfall I know make sure to see the stars & apply what I learned . FYI: planets don't "twinkle" like stars , they have a constant light which radiates from the suns beams :)

Can't wait for the first Friday to enjoy the laser show !

13 attraction reviews
“Good science center, will be great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Our kids, ages 10, 8, 6, enjoyed this science center. Free with an ASTC membership, we spent a long afternoon here. Planetarium is included in admission. Kids like the coral reef and having their hands cleaned by shrimp, the animals outside, the computers, the items around the big tire. They have plans to expand and it looks like it will be even better.

I liked free parking and picnic area outside. There is a free trolley to parts of downtown that we didn't take but would definitely explore if we went back.

Vancouver, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Coming from Vancouver, I am a little bit spoiled by Science World which is world class as far as science centers go...

But I thought the museum was worth a visit. It's not huge and it's a bit confused (I wonder if the animal exhibits were a marketing decision to try and bring in more visitors because pure science wasn't enough).

However the exhibits were interesting and the kids will generally have a good time here. Some interesting historical exhibits about Miami and hurricanes as well.

Visited January 2014
Columbus, Oh
9 attraction reviews
“2nd visit--just as great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is our second time visiting the Miami Science Museum. We hadn't planned to go, but it looked like rain and, on a whim, we decided to make a return visit. WE LOVE THIS MUSEUM! My oldest child said he liked it even better than our local science museum even though our own science museum is newer and fancier (note, the MSM is moving into new digs soon). This museum is so small, intimate, and hands-on--it just has a really fun, funky and comfortable vibe. I hope it doesn't lose this when it moves to the new location. Can't recommend enough!

Visited January 2014

Been to Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.