“Great hotel but ..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 112 Hotels in Miami
La Paz, Bolivia
“Great hotel but ..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I booked a 1 night stay for me my wife and 1 year daughter, through booking.com my flight was next day at 11 pm so i asked for a late check out.

Sadly they couldn't help me with this because they don't have late check out rates or day use rates in their system.

Check out time was at 1 pm next day, so i decided to pay an extra night so we could leave the hotel at 7 Pm in order to use the facilities for 6 more hours. (you know with a baby you just can't stay at the airport for so long)

When i talked to the staff they told me that parking will not be charged as an amenity, just because i booked for an extra night.

Not only i had to pay an extra night for the day use, the hotel even charged me the parking space for 2 days !!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Natalia F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear guest I am very sorry that we fail to catch this one before you saw it on your card. I can assure you this was an error, as we try to work with our guests as much as possible. Please contact me directly and I will make sure to make it right for you.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. It started by great shuttle service to the hotel and very friendly staff. The room was very modern and contemporary just the way we like it. Restaurants were in walking distance and some night life. Good breakfast ,fast internet and great coffee. the only thing not to good was the pool. A little on the small side. Would've given it five stars if it had a bigger pool. Definitely would stay there again. Loved it!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Natalia F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami. Everything we do is aimed to provide our guests an unforgettable experience and exceed your expectations. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again in the near future.
Cayman Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This is one of the most conviently located airport hotels. They offer everything from free airport shuttles to free breakfast, rooms are clean , linens are very fresh and clean always. The staff goes way and beyond to accommodate guest, always cheerful and smiling, with a welcoming Hi Mrs.....happy to see. You.....I rate it better than I rate some of the others marriott brands .because of my membership I enjoy suites, which are nicely located to the front of the property and are very spacious. If you drive it is close enough to everywhere.

Room Tip: I like higher floor, but elevator is sow so keep that in mind
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Natalia F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thanks from the staff at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami. We do appreciate it very much, that our work didn’t go unnoticed. Most of it because you felt our goal of building relationships, and not just providing service. Please come back soon.
Fort Pierce, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I am giving the hotel the benefit of the doubt here, but I will probably not use it again, mostly because of a teenage group tour that raised Hell until about 4 a.m.

The hotel has good proximity to the airport, but is in a less than ideal location. For some reason, it is elevated above the road level and there are sharp angles in the entry drive that may cause entering cars to hit bottom. The parking garage is below and also has steep inclines in the entry ramps.

On departure, I discussed the noise problem with the manager and she apologized, saying that they were not comfortable with taking in three bus loads of high school kids bound for Disney, but had taken a chance.

Breakfast was acceptable with good variety and attendants.

Given the options in the area, it might be worth another try sometime in the future.

Room Tip: If shopping for overnight hotels in MIA area, it pays to do some careful checking on distance from t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this group might have caused, as they got a little carried away after hours. This by no means reflects the way we provide customer service and we would definitely will love to have you back.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Our flight got in at 3am and we were really tired. Hopped a taxi to the hotel (the shuttle stops at 1:30am).

The reception guy was very nice, clean rooms, free breakfast, they gave us a late checkout until 2pm, recommended a great Cuban restaurant and stored our luggage.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. See you next time!
montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

After a long day of traveling with my wife and two boys we arrived at the hotel to overnight and catch a flight again in the morning. When we arrived we were told that our reservation, that I had booked two months earlier through booking.com, was not in there system. They blamed booking.com, and booking blamed the hotel. The hotel offered to send us to the Quality Inn Miami Airport and pay for the room.

After a long wait, a very bad attitude by the man behind the desk, and a long taxi ride, we arrived at the Quality Inn and was given a room and told that it was paid for. The room had a broken entry door handle and stunk so bad that we asked for another room. The only room left wasn't much better, with a strange smell and a spring poking through one of the mattresses, but by this time it is midnight and we have an early flight to catch so we just took it.

When we arrive home two weeks later we find out on our credit card, that we gave the Quality Inn for incidental charges, that they charges us 123 dollars for that horrible room. Neither booking.com, Fairfield inn, or the Quality inn would do anything about the charge, even though we were told that it was taken care of. Needless to say I will never use any three of the companies again.

Room Tip: Never use Booking.com
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Natalia F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear guest, I am sorry for any inconvenience you experience at the hotel you stayed at while in Miami. I understand that the Guest Service agent suggested another hotel that had rooms available on the night you got in to Miami, and unfortunately your stay was not what we would have liked.
Mount Dora, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I had hoped for fast and convenient shuttle pick up for my one night stay considering this is an airport property. I would have booked this last minute stay with the Marriott next door had it been available. Knowing what I know now, I'd have jumped on the Marriott shuttle since I was traveling with only a backpack and I'd have walked across the street to get here. The Marriott (also for Residence Inn and Airport Courtyard) shuttle passed by 3 times during the time I waited for the Fairfield Inn shuttle.

After 15 minutes of waiting I gave the Fairfield Inn a call. They said the shuttle passes by every 30 minutes or on demand when called so they'd send it now. Another 20 minutes went by and I called again. During the remaining 10 minute wait I decided to use my phone to see if the Marriott might be available for a last minute booking since I had until 6pm to cancel the Fairfield Inn. It was not available but there was a sudden price savings available on the Fairfield Inn. I booked it for $10 less and canceled my existing reservation. So thanks FI, my 45 minute shuttle wait saved me $10. :)

I finally arrived to the hotel (I could have gotten there sooner had I walked) and they had my updated reservation on record. I had a simple king sized room on the 5th floor with a view of the airport. It was to my liking. The room was clean although it had that deodorized smell. I liked the pantene shampoo and conditioner. The mini fridge sits right there out in the open which isn't attractive but it's a nice convenience for the leftover excellent food from Latin Cafe 2000 which is barely 2 short blocks away. You might prefer your leftovers for breakfast if the included breakfast isn't to your liking.

There was a decent selection of food for breakfast but most wasn't up to my standards. The "scrambled" eggs are the kind that are cooked to a solid from an egg product and then chopped up into pieces, not exactly scrambled. There was no plain oatmeal out, just sugar sweetened flavored oatmeal in individual packs. I probably could have asked for unflavored, but I didn't. There was also no light yogurt out, just the high sugar yogurt in the mini fridge. I do like full fat milk or half and half with my coffee. Again, this was just skim or low fat milk in the fridge or the individual non-dairy creamers. There were plenty of pastry type items, donuts, muffins, waffles. I eat mainly no sugar, no flour, but have no desire to do low fat eating so I just made do with what was there and ate the cut up fresh oranges, grapefruit and pineapple which I did like along with a sugary yogurt. I used the lowfat milk in my coffee.

This no frills hotel was quiet with a comfortable bed and clean bathroom so it served it's primary purpose for me which was a good night's sleep. The room was attractive and like new. The AC blew very cold as I like but no matter whether the fan was set to high, low, or auto, the fan cut off and on with the compressor. The room carpeting was fine but the hall had some spotty staining. It seemed clean otherwise. The swimming pool is out of service at this time, which I did not know, but had no plans to use it anyway.

The free wifi didn't seem to work after I connected with my phone so I shut off wifi and used the cellular network instead. That's fine for me with my local AT&T plan but for a tourist out of the country it could be a draw back.

If I had need to stay in the area again, I'd likely go back to the Courtyard by Marriott in Coral Gables just south about 2 miles on LeJeune Road or try the Marriott next door if it were available since I know their shuttle is on a 15 minute schedule. If I needed a quick room for the night close by the airport and this was all I could get, I wouldn't hesitate to take a cab over for the clean bed and bathroom. There really is nothing wrong with the place. It's just an average, value oriented Marriott branded property which we all know before we book it. It simply needs shuttle improvement considering the airport location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Natalia F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear guest. I appreciate you taking the time to write all your comments and I will definitely have a meeting with our drivers to share your comments, which comes as a surprise to me, because as how you mentioned we are only 8 min away from the airport. Also surprising, that you didn’t find any of the fat free options that we had included in our breakfast menu, from the sugar free maple syrup, plain oatmeal, yogurt and Milk. Also have many options in our market, as we like to please our guests that prefer that option of food. Regarding the WIFI I regret you didn’t ask for help at any guest service agent as our HIFI is one of the fastest and never have issues with it. But is you are ever back it will be a pleasure to help with the set up in your phone. Again, thanks for your comments.

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Miami Airport South? Share your experiences!