“Elegant and sophisticated downtown Miami hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #23 of 129 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Elegant and sophisticated downtown Miami hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

The Viceroy is a true downtown Miami gem, perfect for the discerning business or leisure traveler who is looking for a discrete, sophisticated and absolutely elegant environment. From top to bottom, it is serene and quiet, the rooms are beautifully decorated in a muted Asian theme, with tones of light green, cream, tans and black; and the lovely marble bathrooms are spacious with great Neil George amenities. The rooms have a small kitchen area with fridge and espresso machine. Excellent and fast & free wifi, and large flat screen TVs with numerous HD channels. All rooms have balconies that overlook Brickell Ave., the Miami River and/or Biscayne Bay.

The pool deck is stunning. It is on the 15th floor overlooking Biscayne Bay. You will never feel crowded; there is tons of space. The pool itself is longer than Olympic length and heated in the winter, so it is perfect for laps...and most of the time you will have it all to yourself. The gym is the best I’ve experienced in Miami, and is large, modern, airy and very attractive, and the floor to ceiling windows overlook Biscayne Bay. The spa, which is included in the room rate, has co-ed hot tubs & plunge pools and gender-specific steam rooms and saunas. Again, everything about the Viceroy is elegant…your will not feel like you are “among the tourists” as one does on South Beach or even Coconut Grove. You will feel like you’ve just joined an elite private club; an urban sanctuary. The staff is gracious, accommodating and excellent.

The only drawbacks are ones that are pretty common in Miami -- the only parking option is valet parking; you cannot self-park. Since the Viceroy is not part of a mega-chain (such as Hilton or Marriot) there is currently no "rewards program", so you won't be building your points here. But my opinion is that I'd rather have a unique and lovely experience than accumulate a tons of points that can only be used at cookie-cutter chains.

I am a frequent business traveler to Miami, and I can say, after staying in most of the upscale downtown hotels, this is one of the very best. At the Viceroy, I’ve stayed in the regular King rooms, the Deluxe Rooms and the Junior Suites. All are excellent, but if you can afford it, go for the Deluxe Room or Junior Suite. Having travelled extensively in the US and abroad I can honestly say that this is one of the best hotels in the world….and the rates won’t absolutely destroy your wallet, either. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
ViceroyMiami, Area General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and most generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our Downtown Miami locale to our tastefully appointed guestroom amenities. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stays in our guest accommodations and are thrilled to hear you’ve found Kelly Wearstler’s interior design to your liking.

Indeed our stunning pool terrace, state of the art Fitness Center and luxurious Spa at Viceroy Miami, Icon Brickell are some of our best attributes. However, it is the exceptional level of guest service provided by our colleagues that we pride ourselves on. I am proud to learn that our colleagues were successful in providing you with a truly memorable experience. It is our goal to touch the heart and soul of each and every one of our guests and it was simply our pleasure to provide you with the personal attention you deserve.

We sincerely appreciate your recommendation as well as your recognition of being an urban sanctuary and look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in the near future. Kindly please call me when your travel plans next bring you to Viceroy Miami so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

859 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Almere, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We planned a one week trip to Miami in November and made a reservation for 7 nights in the Grand Beach hotel. A few weeks before our trip I read an article a Dutch business magazine about the 10 most beautiful hotel swimming pools in the world. Thats where I discovered the Viceroy Miami. I discussed it with my partner and we changed our reservation into 4 nights Grand Beach and 3 nights Viceroy.

We had the special: Stay 3 nights and get a free upgrade to a suite and complimentary breakfast.

The check in was very quick. When we entered the suite we were speechless!! I remember the guy who helped us with the bags asked me what my first impression of the room was and I couldn't give him an answer...

The right answer is: Amazing!

The suite is very spacious with a long hall, 1/2 bathroom, mini kitchenette, living / dining room, large balcony and a large bedroom with a master bath.

I think the most impressive part of the suite is the bathroom with a large tub, shower and a separate toilet. Of course there are two 42 inch flatscreen tv's and since there in different rooms we could watch different tv programs without disturbing each other.

The breakfast was great with a ditto service.
There is no better start of the day then having breakfast on the 15th floor in the morning sun.

The pool area is impressive! The large infinity pool gives you the idea that you are really on top of the world. Unfortunately we didn't have the chance to take a dip due to our busy (shopping) schedule.

The location is great when your on a business or shopping trip, it is a good 10 minutes walk to the Bayside marketplace and the downtown shops.

We had a great time at the Viceroy but there was one minor disappointment.
On our last evening we wanted to have a drink in Club 50 but they had a private event, so we didn't have a chance to take a look on the 50th floor.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were honored that you consider Viceroy Miami as “the best hotel ever” and were humbled that you chose to spend your vacation with us. We are truly delighted that we succeeded in providing you with an outstanding experience, espcially upon arrival, and that our centralized location was convenient for you. We were also pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations with our tastefully appointed guest accommodations and innovative culinary offerings at bistro|e.

I regret that you were unable to experience Club 50 during this visit and kindly ask that you please call me when your travels next bring you to Viceroy Miami so that I may personally ensure that you have direct access into Club 50 as well as coordinate your poolside service on our 15th floor pool terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights in a junior suite facing the canal. The room was beautiful and the stay could have been wonderful, if the following issues are resolved: (1) The room was beautiful but overcrowded with furniture. This was evident when I bumped into a chair positioned next to the "workstation area." The chair and bed stand combined to create a narrow strait that one has to navigate going from the living area to the bathroom and hallway kitchen/closet area. Get rid of half of the furniture and free up the room. (2) Bathroom lacks privacy curtain. Tinted windows and thin see-through bamboo curtains in the bathroom is not enough to prevent being viewed from the outside, especially at night when one can clearly see into the room from street level. The living area has ceiling to floor privacy curtain all around but the bathroom does not. This was a major problem for me during my stay, causing me to turn the hot water full until the entire bathroom window fogged up before bathing. (3) Large 'community' sized liquid soap squirt bottles. The shower body soap and shampoo were evidently used. For the price of the room, does one really have to call and ask for new bottles? At least they replaced the used bottles promptly. (4) No electric plug by bed. Individual LED reading lights by the bed is nice but there is no electric socket by the bed to plug in a laptop. (5) Two lamps by the work area are inconvenient to use. They have dimming switches located at the rear of each lamp that are not easy to reach. (6) Lumpy bed. The king sized bed was very lumpy. Combined that with a down blanket (why?), made for a difficult night of sleep the first night. (The trick was to sleep on top of the down, which helped to reduce the lumps.) (7) Coffee machine requires taking a short lesson. What? The coffee machine is not intuitive. Apparently, I am not the first (or the only) one perplexed by the machine since they have a lesson on TV (welcome channel) and a instruction card. Given the level of complexity, the coffee isn't all that good.

On the positive: the pool is beautiful and the restaurant is pricey but very good (18% tip is built in the the bill, which appears to be standard for higher priced restaurants in Miami).

These minor issues should not exist for such a luxury hotel. Therefore, I will pass on this hotel the next time I visit Miami.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. I regret to learn that your visit did not exceed your expectations as it relates to your in room amenities.

I was delighted that you were able to enjoy our beautiful pools and the innovative culinary offerings at Eos restaurant. I assure you I have shared your comments with Mr Rene Roman, Director of Rooms; Mr Nathaniel Morciego, Director of Housekeeping and Mr Jerry Wenzel, Director of Engineering so that we may review our guest accommodation appointments to ensure that all amenities are in keeping with our goal to provide our guests with a seamless experience. Your feedback has been discussed at length and rest assured that processes are being reviewed to ensure greater reliability and consistency in an effort to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction. Please accept my sincere apologies and forgive us for our shortcomings.

I regret you are not likely to return to Viceroy Miami and sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. Kindly please call me when your travel plans next bring you to Viceroy Miami so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Spent one night at the Viceroy when bad weather in the NE left us stranded overnight in Miami. The staff who checked us in and showed us to our room were truly helpful and welcoming. They upgraded us to a nicer [much nicer] suite than the one we booked. If the weather had been warmer, I would have loved to make use of the spectacular pools [yes -- there are three of them]. The pool area had spectacular views [see photos]. Walking distance to many good restaurants.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback from your recent stay with us. I was delighted that your brief time at Viceroy Miami was a highlight to your vacation especially due to the inclement weather back home.

I was pleased to learn that our tastefully appointed guestroom amenities and centric location exceeded your expectations. It is our goal to touch the heart and soul of each and every one of our guests and it is humbling to know that we were able to provide you with a warm and welcoming experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that you are able to enjoy the spectacular views and services that Viceroy Miami has to offer. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

The service at the hotel was prompt, with a smile. They greeted you by name and made every attempt to make your stay as pleasant as possible. They ask at the end what could they improve upon... the room service was also prompt and friendly.
The room, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite and it was large and spacious. Great for a couple, especially if one would like to sleep and one wants to get up and read and watch TV. There was one master bathroom and one half bath which both were beautiful. The shower and bathtub in the master was so relaxing ..made you really feel pampered and on a vacation. The location of our room (1201) was overlooking the river that leads into the Biscayne Bay...looking right at the Epic hotel across the way.. it was a nice view and fun to watch the ships go by. The restaurant in the hotel was nice enough..nothing great. I recommend going over to the Epic hotel - Area 31 restaurant was amazing. It is a short walk over the bridge. The food there was wonderful, light and tasty. The drinks too were amazing.
Overall I loved the Viceroy. The best parts were the amenities - room size, decor, the bed was wonderful, sheets were delightful. At night the room was quite and I slept like a baby. The food and drinks could be improved. Club 50.. was interesting and a bit strange- but maybe I am just a bit to old to understand clubs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
ViceroyMiami, Area General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We were delighted that you found the amenities and decor in our Viceroy One-Bedroom Suite to be tastefully appointed to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional levels of guest service and I am proud that our colleagues were able to make your stay a pleasant one.

I was disappointed to learn that your dining and Club 50 experiences did not exceed your expectations. I have shared your comments with Mr Albert Charbonneau, Director of Food & Beverage, and Mr Jose Pastrana, Club 50 Manager, so that we may further improve our culinary and cocktail offerings in an effort to avoid future guest dissatisfaction.

Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to Viceroy Miami so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. We look forward to welcoming you back soon; in the meantime, we remain at your service.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This is a first class hotel for business or pleasure. A employee of the front desk will check you in and then walk you to your elevator. The room fantastic. woderrful restaurants and a beautiful bar. Room service is perfect and the staff will treat you so well making sure you are pleased in every way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous and rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. We were sincerely humbled by your tremendous accolade of being recognized as first class. We were delighted to learn we exceeded your expectations through the personalized service that was afforded to you, the inspiring design of our guest accommodations, and the innovative culinary offerings at our restaurant Eos.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

DC-USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Our room, a one-bedroom suite, was spacious and well-appointed. The service is excellent and affable without being fresh or painfully hip. The restaurant is very good, but not worth a special trip unless you are staying in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous compliments regarding your recent stay with us.

We are truly pleased we succeeded in providing you with an outstanding experience from the tastefully appointed décor in our Viceroy One Bedroom Suite and the intuitive service provided to you by our colleagues, to the innovative culinary offerings you enjoyed at Bistro|e and Eos.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy Miami in the near future. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

Area General Manager

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!