“Unique Icon” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bronxville, New York
“Unique Icon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

Having visited the Viceroy in Santa Monica and liking the look and style of the hotel, we decided to try this Viceroy since it is a new hotel and has a similar look. The hotel is part of an imposing complex of three fifty plus story buildings that contain eighteen hundred condos. Less then ten percent of the condos are currently occupied. The lobby of the hotel is nice but a small area, nothing more then a place to check in and come and go.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite. There was a living room/dining room that had a great look to it, kind of old Hollywood opulence. There was also a convenience kitchen, hidden behind sliding panels, and a powder room. We liked this room a lot which included a black & green marble floor. The bedroom was good size but a little on the dark side, maybe because the walls were a medium green color. The bathroom was very large and lux with separate tub, shower, and water closet. The lighting was not great and there was no place to put your towel for a shower except on the floor next to the shower door, no hook. The bathroom was so large it would have been nice to have a larger shower or even a piece of furniture in the room.

There are several pools located on the fifteenth floor pool level that are also used by condo owners. The standout one is the three hundred foot long infinity edge lap pool. This pool is indeed very cool to look at, and a fun challenge to swim laps in. The infinity edge side overlooks Biscayne Bay and the high rises of Brickell Key. The pools, however, are surrounded closely by the three condo/hotel towers. If you plan on spending more then two hours out by the pool during the winter months, you will need to move around to keep up with the sun as the buildings cast large shadows this time of year. They are also a little intimidating to sit near. There are also several fun and interesting play and lounge areas around the pools.

The spa and accompanying gym are a tour de force of high design. The spa pools are in a two story room with floor to ceiling windows with great views. The plunge pools are set in a sea of a white marble floor, flanked by dark wood decorative library areas at each end with fireplaces. The area is very cool looking, and a large yellow Murano like chandelier tops it off. A juice bar is located just off the water lounge area. The adjoining gym is very attractive with a full set of equipment and lots of cardio options. The gym is lined with a wall of windows overlooking the water. The locker rooms are also very nice with more white marble, cool design, steam and sauna, and yet again more windows with great views. The only drawback to the spa is that the location is very far away from the hotel. It is located in a different building requiring you to walk outside across the entire length of the pool level. Not really a problem unless it is raining.

We had a package with a credit that we used at the hotel restaurant for two breakfast meals, one lunch, and a room service dinner. The restaurant is located on the fifteenth floor, the same as the pool level. Once again the design of the restaurant itself was fantastic and glamorous. There is also an outdoor seating area. Our meals were good and service in the near empty space fine but we did have a problem with our lunch meal. When the bill came, we were charged ten dollars each for plain non-alcoholic lemonades. We questioned this charge twice and were told it was the correct price. This was six dollars more then what we were charged for the room service price the night before. After leaving the restaurant, I called the front desk to complain and the charge was reduced to four dollars. We felt very strongly that the waiter intentionally overcharged us.

The location of the hotel is central, easy to get to South Beach and other areas of Miami. Unfortunately the hotel is located very close to busy Brickell Avenue. There is almost no way to escape the noise of the road since most rooms of the hotel face the direction of the road. A few rooms per floor face north and may have a little less noise but you still see and hear Brickell Avenue. These rooms also have a view of the Miami River so you may want to ask for one of them, but I do not think they get direct sunlight. The entire back side of the hotel is a parking garage so there are no rooms facing away from the street noise. Each room has a balcony but I do not think most people would enjoy spending too much time on them – as most face the street and there is no furniture on them.

The club on the fiftieth floor is very nice with great views. The design is very similar to the rooms. The pool at this level seems to be for show only, as it was never available to swim in during the days of our stay. To get to the club, you take a separate set of elevators off the main lobby. This is how the hotel is set up, very cut up with no central core to it. All the public areas of the hotel are in very different places. This was not a problem for us, but it can make you feel like you are staying in an apartment building, and not a hotel.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Other then the issue at the restaurant, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The décor of the hotel is really great and different. We also liked the free internet, something more hotels should be providing. The spa area and gym are also available without the extra charge many hotels like to add on. Street noise and a cumbersome layout would be our only complaints. But the unique décor, fantastic pool, outrageous spa, all combine to make a stay worthwhile especially before all those condos start filling up and residents start taking more space at the pool and spa.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
FGateau, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Dear J_and_A_1,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your stay. I am very pleased to see that you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities that Viceroy Miami has to offer .

We look to your return in the very near future.

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure and visit Miami usually 8 times a year. I have stayed at the Four Seasons, Ritz SoBe, Ritz Key Biscayne, Canyon Ranch, Mandarin Oriental, Epic and two weeks ago at the new Tempo.

In my opinion Viceroy has the most going for it as far as price, location and amenities. The ammenities at the Viceroy are much nicer than any of its competitors. The Spa and gym are amazing and the lap pool is a true lap pool with ample chairs and privacy. I don't spin but the spinning room is a must see! The pool/bar on the 50th floor is what truly sets this property apart. It's an Adult area with great service and unbelievable views.

The lobby is not as nice as that of the Ritz in SoBe or Epic but the service is phenomenal. The rooms are large and well thought out, although the color palette is not my favorite the quality of the furniture is very good and it's nice to have a quarter kitchen.

There is one restaurant and and cafe by the pool on the 16th floor and you can order food poolside on the 50th floor as well. The food was very good and well priced. Being located right on Brickell Ave. there are probably 20 restaurants within a 10 minute walk. I would recommend Mary Brickell Plaza as there are approximately 12 restaurants within a minute of each other. I walked from the Viceroy and it took me between 10 and 15 minutes.

Unless you need to be on the beach, I would highly recommend The Viceroy. If you need to be on the beach I would recommend Canyon Ranch for those that want a bit of quietness and the Ritz at SoBe for those that don't mind sharing a moderate sized pool with 500 people. Both of those hotels have very nice rooms and the service is very good, (better at C.R.). Mandarin Oriental is not worth visiting nor is the Ritz in Key Biscayne! The Four Seasons is a 2 minute walk from the Viceroy and is very business oriented. The rooms are standard F.S. but the pool is very nice but lacks character. The new Tempo in the Marquis is doing it's soft opening. It's boutique and the rooms are very well done but a lot of noise from the street!! Restaurants and Pool weren't open when I stayed so can't comment about either.

Lastly, if you can't get a reservation at Viceroy I would book at the Epic!! Very close second but the pool, gym don't compare to the Viceroy. That said, the service at Epic is superb. The rooms are nice and they offer computers in the room which is great if you don't travel with a laptop.

I stay approximately 120 nights a year in hotels and last year racked up 112,000 frequent flyer miles. Viceroy is what you are looking for!!

Dear Imafrequenttraveler,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write about your stay. I greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to your return to Viceroy Miami.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

We're definitely staying here the next time we go to Miami. One of the nicest hotel rooms we've stayed in ever - and both of us have done extensive traveling.

In the past, we have stayed in South Beach, but this time, we knew the weather wasn't going to be great and we had a 3 1/2 year old, so we wanted to stay at a hotel that was nicer, in case we ended up spending more time in the room than we'd like. Thank goodness we did. We found a great deal - stay for 3 nights, get the 3rd night free. I think we were upgraded to a suite. We walked in and immediately to the right was a 1/2 bath. Then a dining table and kitchenette (mini fridge w/room in it, stovetop, sink, dishes, silverware All-Clad pots/pans, Illy espresso maker), leading into a living room area w/ couch, 4 chairs, desk & flat screen. The bedroom was behind two doors and led to the biggest bathroom. So much privacy! We had our own room and our son slept out in the living room on the couch (we moved some chairs/table around so he was blocked in and couldn't fall out.)

We had a river view, looking right out over the bridge, which was great b/c our son got to watch the boats go by and the bridge go up and down. We kept the sliding door open all night, so it was somewhat noisy with cars driving by, but not bad. And we never heard another guest the whole time.

The pool area was incredible. I wish the weather was warmer, but it didn't stop us from swimming both days, even when it was stormy and windy (and it can get windy up there), as the water was warm.

We had breakfast only at the hotel - once at the restaurant and once at the cafe. It was good, but it was expensive. Especially when all I wanted was a cafe con leche and pastel from a neighborhood cuban spot. They were doing a photo shoot at the cafe when we got there, but the waitress was super nice and got us in the back. For lunch/dinner, we ended up hopping on the Metromover (free train) a block away to go to Mary Brickell Village (I think that's the name - you could walk there too) where there was everything from very nice restaurants to a Baja Fresh, and a less expensive italian spot, just past Baja, in which the food was brought out super fast - a plus when you have a hungry, tired kid.

The best part for me was the spa/fitness area. They have classes that hotel guests are able go to for free. I did a yoga class that was supposed to be poolside, but due to the weather was brought indoors. No one else was there, so I had a private yoga session with a great teacher. Then I stayed for a Zumba class afterward. There were a few other women in the class and everyone was so friendly! I wish I could have had more time to go to the spa b/c it looked beautiful. Next time. My husband used the weight room and said it was one of the nicer hotel gyms he's seen.

All the staff at the hotel was very nice - from the time I called a few days before our trip to check on transportation options, through the end. I was worried about bringing a pre-schooler to an "it" hotel like this. But I never got the feeling he wasn't welcome.

As I mentioned the weather wasn't cooperative, which was a big bummer. So thankfully, this hotel saved our vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Dear jeanmcramer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. I am very pleased to know that you and your family had enjoyable vacation despite the uncooperative weather during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy Miami and hope you find only sunny days upon your return.

Nashville,TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

This place is great.....Great location on Brickel close enough to the beach but not in the middle of the crowd.... Great resturant on site and great mgmt.....They know you by name and are QUICK to right any wrongs. Club 50 is free for guest and better than any club that I have been to on south beach.. Great price found on a travel site and the rooms look just like the pix on the website. .....This is the only place I will stay now when in MIAMI

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear katktoure,

Thank you for your posting regarding your experience at Viceroy Miami. I am pleased that you were able to appreciate some of the amenities Viceroy Miami has to offer .

We look forward to your return.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband and I took a few days away from our stay with family in Delray Beach to escape to Miami. Rather go to South Beach this time we found a great rate at the Viceroy and stayed here for 2 nights. The accommodations were wonderful. Clean everything, great service, beautiful surroundings, etc. We manged to find a number of good restaurants within a 15 minute walk and never moved our car for a few days. The pools, spas and sitting locations were great and R & R was a huge plus. Only challenge was the lovely spa was all glass and I had a bad bump into the glass wall and landed with a black eye. The staff were caring and attentive. We would go back here in a minute and certainly recommend the facility to anyone looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear sueBoston,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. I'm very sorry to hear about your mishap in the spa.

We look forward to your return to Viceroy Miami Hotel and hope that you get to enjoy all it has to offer once again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

The Viceroy is a great place to stay - luxurious rooms, great food, comfortable beds, the whole package. Oh and the pool area is absolutely fantastic! There are very good deals available which makes it affordable too. One thing - my room is quite noisy, being on a low floor vry close to a busy road. And the aircon unit is noisy too. But apart from that, the hotel gets a big thumbs up. I'll be back next time I'm in town.

Dear LongHaulEconomySucks,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. We surely address your concerns and look forward to your return to Viceroy Miami.

Suches Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Based on the recommendations on Tripadvisor I elected to stay at the Viceroy for 4 nights to attend a convention at the MiamiHilton. The choice was between the Viceroy and the Epic. Compared to the Marriot at $400 per both were a deal. I choose the Viceroy based on room descriptions and free internet. I was not disappointed!

The hotel is at the north east end of the financial district. The Epic, across the waterway, includes a yacht club and is a bit more impressive from the exterior. The Viceroy is more discrete but wonderful from the interior.

The Viceroy is an astounding hotel. The Junior suite was spacious, well appointed, private and very comfortable. The staff were attentive but discrete.

Several here have commented on the room and it was great.

The bathroom is a large room appointed in granite and marble. it has double sinks, separate shower and bath with plenty of space.

If you are in to exercise this is the place for you. The exercise room is part of the spa and includes cardio and circuit equipment and free weights and is equipped with TVs. It overlooks the Biscayne bay . I used it every day. It was great.

The deck on the 15th floor was everthing previous reviewers have covered with several heated pools and astounding views of Biscayne Bay.

The Viceroy pays very careful attention to security. The elevators are keyed. It was not unusual to encounter a roving security person daily walking the halls. At one point I noted one checking doors to ensure that guests had completely closed their doors. On the pool level it was quite common to see a security guard discretely walking the pool area. As with the other services of the hotel the attention to security went far beyond what I have encountered at Marriot, Hyatt or Westin.

The 15th floor restaurant is gourmet. At breakast the servings are large. At dinner they are small. The small-portion concept used by the restuarant at dinner takes a bit of getting used to but, by encouraging the incorporation of multiple small-servings in the meal it made for great gourmet dining. It reminds me of my trips to New Orleans where I typically order multiple appetizers instead of an entree because I want to experience all the flavors.

The Viceroy is a special hotel and deserves its 5 star rating. If you can sneak in at a discount rate do it. As it becomes better known these inexpensive rates will disappear.

I will be heading back. I will take my wife next time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
FGateau, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear Sucheslife,

Thank you for your posting regarding your experience at Viceroy Miami. I am pleased that you were able to appreciate some of the amenities Viceroy Miami has to offer and hope that on your next stay you get to enjoy more.

Viceroy Miami

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!