“Sexy Chic but Lacking Some Function” 4 of 5 stars

Relax More, Pay Less
Ranked #21 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC
“Sexy Chic but Lacking Some Function”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Super glamorous and chic property! The entire grounds is styled down to the smallest detail. However, I do wish the hotel's function and comfort matched the style WOW factor.

A few observations:

--Huge balcony and great view overlooking Biscayne...but no chairs on the balcony to sit???

--No place/ hook to hang one's towel outside of the shower. We had to put ours on the ground. (A prior reviewer mentioned this and I thought they were nitpicking but it's noticeable and weird)

--No extra sheets or pillows in room for the sofa bed (had to call for them--daily)

--The spa is GORGEOUS! BUT...one of the hot tubs was sooooo dirty!! A grimy, very noticeable dirt/hair ring on one side and dirt floating in the tub... they definitely must do better with the upkeep and cleaning of the beautiful spa!

Those points aside, the service and people at the Viceroy were on point and the grounds and overall amenities were pleasing.Really liked the illy Espresso machine in-room and the on-site club that kept the party going on our girls trip nightly upon return from SOBE.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear fashionistamommy,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us in so much details.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed you and your girlfriends enjoyed your visit.
You make some excellent suggestions and will be happy to hear that we are in the process of installing additional hooks in the bathroom and doing a final selection on balcony furniture.
Note that we will start closing the indoor pool during the day for more in depth cleaning during opening hours as we do get a very large amount of usage.

Hopefully we will see you again soon for another getaway from DC!

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great Hotel. Staff is over the top. We were really happy with everything. The amenities are great. I must add that our Guest Recognition Coordinator, Mrs. Colleen Harrigan just exceeded all our expectations before and throughout our stay. She was just the kindest person ever.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Igorfst81,

Thank you for your kind words.
I am so glad that we could make your honeymoon stay special! Colleen is a super star and I am not surprised to hear that she took great care of you.
Thank you for selecting Viceroy Miami and we hope to welcome you back to Miami or at another Viceroy very soon,

Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My position allows me to arrange and coordinate international meetings. I have never been to a worse hotel! The main purpose of the hotel was for business, to hold a meeting of North and South America professionals for about 80 people.

While yes the hotel is lovely, the staff, assistance, and communication at this hotel is terrible. The elevators BROKE (pipe burst) and as the coordinator and primary contact of my meeting, I was not told by the hotel or given options. They ushered my group of 80+ up the SERVICE ELEVATOR to the 50th floor for a portion of our meeting. It was absolutely a nightmare and very unprofessional taking established professionals through a kitchen. The meeting rooms were changed on us without knowledge, the staff was unconcerned and overall I will never ever go back or stay at this chain. There were many times I myself had to march into the hotel's kitchen to demand service or attention. The main banquet contact was never on site when needed. We also managed a room block of about 70 rooms, and their billing on guest rooms was all wrong. I received many complaints from my meeting guests.

And finally, the bill for meeting F&B was extremely miscalculated. Be careful to double check what they try to bill you on consumption. Ours noted over 300 beverages consumed (cokes/waters/etc) for only 60 people for a meeting that was less than 3 hours. That is about 5 drinks a person which is very very very unlikely and almost impossible. They are unethical and upon bringing in upper level management in the emails, the issue was not resolved.

Room Tip: the pool is very neat, a room facing the pool opposed to the street would be nice.
Green Features: no environmental practices that i saw or was made aware of.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kendall R,

I do remember this very unfortunate incident back in March: the residential tower had a huge pipe burst shutting down elevators which forced us to be creative in our operations – ie. using back of house areas to navigate our guests from one venue to the next and offering the usage of our restaurant for the group as an alternative. As one can imagine, the pipe was not a foreseeable occurrence and our staff dealt with this emergency as efficiently as possible.

I understand that adequate compensation measures had been taken at the time to make up for that unavoidable break down and for the above mentioned consumption questions that you brought to my attention but I am open to further discuss with you directly if you still have concerns.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Terrible customer service! If you can manage to find someone tending the front desk, or manning the phones, you will be in for an unexpected surprise: Complete disregard for customer service.
The disdain shown to every single one of my colleagues (which number in the dozens) is unmistakable and shameful.
For the lengthy stay, I was treated extremely unprofessionally by the staff, and this was the beginning of the horrible experience.
Not only was the staff (and their lack of service) a great issue, but the rooms were terribly tended to! There were no hangers in neither of my two closets, and when an attendant finally answered the phone, and I placed my request for 6 hangers, he said that he could only send me 4... I have never had to negotiate hangers... incredible.
The beds (not one of the dozens we booked) had a top/flat sheet... quite unpleasant.
The overall experience was such, that I was embarrassed for my team and felt the need to apologize for the unexpected and extremely deplorable situation at this appalling hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear LAadvisor101,

Thank you for your message that both surprised and hugely disappointed me.
Surprised as we have received numerous compliments on our service and amenities and disappointed you did not receive the same.

We heard nothing but positive feedback from the organizer of this event therefore at this point, I will be following up with her to better understand this situation

Feel free to contact me directly as I would very much like to speak to you in person.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for a long wknd and had a great time. The hotel is almost like a resort because you don't have to leave if you don't want to. Didn't bother to visit the beach; sat poolside, ate, drank and relaxed! Wonderful time had. Definitely a lounge around hotel

• Stayed March 2014
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Dharrisnyc,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Viceroy for your Miami getaway!

By the way, I notice that you are from NYC: did you know that we opened a sister Viceroy hotel in Manhattan last year ? Check out their roof top lounge which is quite spectacular! We share that in common: they have The Roof on the 29th overlooking downtown and Central Park, we have Fifty Ultra Lounge on the 50th floor overlooking downtown and Biscayne Bay!
Looking forward to have you back soon,

houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

If your downtown, this is a nice place to spend the night. I did not use any of restaurants or bars. Booked on hotwire last minuet got a great deal. Room was ok and I would stay again. Hotel looks shoddy from the outside

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear ceosmsi,

Thank you for review of your quick visit!

You mention an interesting point about our exterior that so often surprises guests: Viceroy Miami features two very opposite design styles inside and out and the reason for this is simple: two very unique artists were involved. While Kelly Wearstler designed the hotel, Philippe Starck was the genius behind the powerful presence of the Moai statues that seem to be guarding the entrance of the hotel: at night if you look closely, some of them even seem to be staring at you directly !

Hopefully you can come back again soon and take advantage of our amenities for a few more days. We have some very good summer packages featuring spa specials for the summer.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I don't know what happened to this hotel. I've stayed here many times before and it was pretty good. Now, it's the 3rd consecutive day with a clogged toilet. This is unacceptable for a hotel that claims a certain level of service and charges for it. Don't even bother staying here. Try any of the good hotels around. This is definitely my last time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Alessandro J,

Thank you for your feedback.

Well, I certainly can appreciate your frustration on this matter as a simple adjustment on our part should have fixed this issue quickly!

Water efficiency and conservation, for which we received an Award last year by the Greater Miami & Beaches Hotel Association, is part of our second nature mission. We have multiple systems in place to limit energy consumption, one of them being water – the planet’s most precious resource.

I am disappointed that we did remedy this swiftly and will review our process in such situations with the Director of Engineering.

We hope that you will give us a chance again in the future.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!