“Not A Good Place to Host your Wedding” 2 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #25 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Not A Good Place to Host your Wedding”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I recently had my wedding at the Viceroy Miami. The reason why my husband and I chose it is because the location is great since most of our guests are out of town and the hotel itself is such a modern good looking hotel. The wedding portion was great - guests loved the venue but the service was horrible. I delt with Jannike as my wedding coordinator who was hard to get ahold of so when she quite 2 weeks before my wedding I didn't think it was such a bad thing hoping to get someone else more detail oriented that actually got back to me when I would reach out to them. Instead it was almost a nightmare dealing with the staff from people not knowing who was handling my wedding to dealing with the Director of Catering, Isabel. Thinking that she would be on top of everything she was WORSE than Jannike. I didn't get ahold of anyone at the Viceroy for my wedding until about a week before so I hadn't handed in any information. Isabel also wasn't even present on my wedding day and a lot of things that were supposed to be out for my wedding weren't a lot of the detail i put into the wedding had gone missed because of their lack of professionalism and communication. Mario the F&B manager stayed for my wedding who was great but the Director of Catering, and everyone else on her team was horrible. They also didn't return back champagne flutes, most of my cake was missing and didnt see it out at the wedding, and other items that were supposed to be used never were and were never returned to me. It's been about 2 weeks after my wedding and I havent been able to get a response back from Isabel about any of this. Won't return phone calls or emails - BEWARE of having your wedding here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Jen G,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and your new husband!
I received your email to the Director of Catering in regards to your wedding, and I appreciate the time you took to outline your concerns thoughtfully and with detail.

I am saddened to hear of these unfortunate events surrounding your special day. As our team highly values attention to detail, we are carefully assessing the events of your wedding as well as reviewing planning procedures with the team members that you openly named in your review. We have looked into the missing items that you have listed and regretfully, have not yet found any information to share. Should we discover any of your belongings or learn of any details relating to the items, I ensure that you will be contacted directly.

On behalf of Viceroy Miami, I extend heartfelt congratulations to you both as you embark on a new and exciting life together. I wish you the best for a wonderful future together.

Thank you for your feedback.

Warmest Regards,

839 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

From the time you arrive in the lobby to the room decor to the pool.....there is alot going on. We live in the area so this was a weekend outing. Nice comfortable room. Maybe a bit over decorated for my taste but it worked.

Bed was good and I like the Lilly coffee maker. There are lots of restaurants in walking distance. On Saturday we did a power walk to the Key Biscayne bridge. I think the loop was 6 miles to the base of the bridge. Walking or jogging Brickell Ave is something to not miss in Miami.

The pool scene at the hotel was BUSY. Lots going on there. I liked it but it's not like a quiet restful spot if that is what you are looking for.

Well situated for the local rail lines if you need/want them.

The Viceroy was a good stay. No complaints at all. Location in town is perfect. Enjoy.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear PGA2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I’m happy to hear we had some natives enjoying themselves! The décor is so unique and slightly extravagant that it may not always be to everyone’s taste, but most of our guests enjoy the bright colors and extra spaces of the guestrooms and suites.

Our pool is a hub for resident and hotel guest interaction so it may get a little busy at times. A great option is to retreat to one of our restaurants alongside the pool!

The walk to the bridge is impressive but if you venture too far, you can also hop on the complimentary tram that services this area instead of walking all the way back.
If you ever make it back to the Viceroy, I invite you to try our award winning Spa. The floor to ceiling views from the fitness center are quite remarkable which makes the work out a little easier.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Viceroy is interesting "hotel" in that...you never really feel like you are in a hotel. Its more of a residential complex with some hotel rooms thrown in for good measure.

The hotel itself has several entrances. One for the hotel, one for the club on the 50th floor, one for residences, etc. The hotel lobby is one of the smallest I have ever seen. There is nothing there buy a desk and some chairs. The staff was friendly, if a bit aloof. I think we got a very good room. The hotel elevator only went up to 15, with the highest floor of rooms on 14. We were in Room 1419 which was the furthest you can get from the elevator (which I really like) and faced directly to the north across the intercoastal waterway. The views were spectacular. The room was big...and the bathroom was huge. The room is decorated in a unique fashion...but my wife and I really liked it. The pictures on the website do the room justice. If I have any knock on the room...it was the air conditioner. It said it was set on 66...but it never got to 66. Not a big deal, just a little annoyance.

Everything in the "hotel" is on the 15th floor. That is when it becomes apparent that you are in a residential complex vs. a hotel. There are three large residential towers that surround the pool. The views up there are truly spectacular. The pool is very large, and it never got too crowded when we were there on a Saturday and Sunday. You will have no problems getting a chair before noon. This is a late rising crowd. One small complaint...they didn't start cleaning the pool until around 10-11ish. So, it was gross before that. Full of "stuff" from the previous day.

We didn't eat in any of the restaurants. Instead, we choose to frequent Mary Brickell Village and Bayside Marketplace. My wife and I loved Mary Brickell Village. It is a young, "hipster" area with good restaurants and bars. Its only a $5 taxi ride away from the hotel. Bayside Marketplace is a beautiful 15 min walk along the intercoastal waterway or roughly a $7 cab ride. Bayside is your typical tourist trap....but it had cheap beer (Sharkey's)..which was nice after paying $8 per beer at the Viceroy. Keep in mind that Bayside is literally across the street from the venue that the Miami Heat play in. I can see this area getting very busy on game nights.

The spa and fitness area were great. We didn't partake in the spa personally, but from what I saw on the way to the fitness room...it looked very nice. The views from the 14th floor in the fitness room were amazing. Cool way to burn some calories.

Overall, I think I would stay here again. I might try Epic across the intercoastal as a change of pace. But, this is a good hotel...if not a little different from a typical hotel experience. The location in downtown is great...and the cab rides are always short.

Room Tip: Request a high floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear UsingCommonSense,

Because we reside in the Financial District of Miami, FL our design is fairly different. Our incredible interior designer, Kelly Wearstler, did a phenomenal job creating a unique Viceroy experience. Our lobby is on the smaller side which allows our front desk team to be more attentive.

Whether it is city views 50 floors up in FIFTY Ultra Lounge or the bay views from our guest rooms and 15th floor; the scene from anywhere on property is remarkable.

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our pool. However, I will speak to our team at Icon Brickell about cleaning up that area much earlier than 10-11am.
If your travels bring you back to sunny Miami, I hope you will try our restaurant, Eos, on the 15th floor: Chef Morgan is working on 4 different seasonal menus with affordable pricing that you will surely enjoy !

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel was top notch. We had a bit of an issue with the Valet ripping us off and charging us cash to take the car overnight, but still charging it to the room but that was taken care of at first complaint.

The suit was very large with a large bathroom. The bed was large and comfortable, and the location in downtown miami was good. The room service was excellent and came quickly, the pool facilities were a pleasure and the restaurants were pleasant. The spa was lovely although the masseuse was uneducated (clearly not an RMT) and not only was I not healed by her I feared she'd injure me further.

I'm very picky, and overall I'd say this hotel was fantastic. I will stay at it again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Katrina C,

Top Notch is a fantastic rating ! Being picky myself, I am thrilled to hear that we took great care of you during your stay. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I see that you seem to be a Spa expert and I am happy to confirm that we only select Registered Massage Therapists on our team. If you are able to come back soon, I would love to introduce you to my preferred personal trainer and massage therapist who is was also trained as a Physiotherapist: he “saved” a few of our guests that had some lingering muscle pain and now has his own following...

See you soon !

Parker
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed in a 1bdr suite over looking the bay (king bed and sofa bed). We had 5 people in our party. (16 & 11 year old). We all slept comfortably and enjoyed the long pool on the 15th floor. ($32 a day Valet were timely and ask for a 10 minute head start call which seemed to work for a Monday). The room was awesome, plenty of space, great views, clean huge marble restrooms, and plenty of natural light. We went on a cruise and this hotel was our post cruise stay for 1 night to see Miami Beach. We were only three miles from the beach. We were treated extremely well from the hotel staff. My family not all are very happy easily but they loved this hotel! $3 for the 3 coffee's we made. Thats not a bad price for a 5 star hotel. Decor was great something different from our own selection had we paid for it but we liked it, it was classy and made of a quality material. No issues to report, I assumed the worst from some reviews I read but didnt tell my family and commented on the postives as I seem them to be different for our stay. I was a happy camper thank you Trip Advisor and to those who leave posts on here.

Colorado

Dear Darrin L,

We are pleased to see that more families choose to stay at Viceroy Miami. Our one bedroom suites with large sofa beds are the perfect option and happen to offer some of the best Bay and River views. Did you notice that you can even see the Port of Miami and cruise ships from your balcony ?

The décor is so unique and slightly extravagant that it may not always be to everyone’s taste but most of our guests enjoy the bright colors and extra spaces of the guestrooms and suites.
I am glad that you enjoyed our Illy Espresso coffee: I have to admit that I am an avid coffee drinker and strongly believe in maintaining accessible pricing for this high quality product.
We hope to welcome you back soon for a longer stay so that you enjoy a night up at Fifty Ultra Lounge and relax at the Spa!

Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Viceroy is a gorgeous hotel but the front desk staff were AWFUL.

I booked through Hotwire for a good price and my reservation specifically stated 3 people (2 adults, 1 child).

When we checked in we were given a king room. Luckily we actually used a bellman this time, so he phoned down to the front desk for me. I travel a LOT (34 nights in the past 60), usually in 4 and 5 star hotels, and I can honestly say I have never once experienced the response I got.

Rather than apologizing for putting 3 people in a 1 bed room I was told that I could either pay for a cot $35 or upgrade to a 2 bed room for $50. Since my daughter is tall and we were staying for 3 nights, the 2 bed made sense.

However, I tried everything I could think of to get her to waive the fee but she wouldn't back down because. Eventually, I agreed ... what other choice did I have?

I contacted Hotwire the next day and they called the hotel. They emailed me to say that I should go to the front desk, which I did. I spoke to the same person that Hotwire did and he assured me that the fee would be removed. He just needed to speak to his colleague who put the charges on.

Anyway, on check out the fees were not reversed and I raised a stink. The same guy that I spoke to earlier said that he hadn't agreed to reverse the fees and that after he spoke to his colleague he was told that I was informed of the fees because a two bed room was bigger. WTF!?!

Anyway, I'd had enough and I asked for the manager. The response was cool but she authorized for the fees to be reversed. When I got the revised bill, there was a mini bar charge which I disputed and it was silently removed (meaning he did not say a word, just reversed the charges). However, the next revision of the bill had taxes on it. When I challenged the taxes (because I'd prepaid for room and taxes) he looked at them and said they were for the upgrade. Again, they were reversed without a word spoken. I was not at all impressed.

So... yes, the hotel is gorgeous and luxurious and the beds were perhaps the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in but until they train their front desk staff in common sense and making customers feel appreciated and doing whatever they could to make a great experience, I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

Dear Carol W,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review on your recent stay with us.

It is always disappointing when this kind of miscommunication happens and I completely understand your frustration.

I can confirm that certain booking details do not translate at all from one reservation system to another: It is a common issue with some specific online booking engines such as Hotwire. The best way to avoid this in the future is to go to the hotel’s website directly or, if Hotwire is your preferred reservation method, I urge you to call or email the hotel directly to inform us of your preferences so that we may anticipate your needs.

Thank you again for the candid feedback and warm regards.

Laurence Dubey,
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is right downtown so if you are looking for easy access to business it s a great spot. It is not on the beach and is a few minute walk to a wide selection of restaurants.

The pool area on the 15th floor is worth a visit. Its not tropical but it is scenic. the suite had a lot of room. I wouldnt even have touched a third living space. The deck didn't actually have any furniture on it, so it also didn't get used much.

Room Tip: The hotel was very quiet overall.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Adrian M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

For a downtown Miami hotel, Viceroy does have quite an impressive infinity pool with very scenic views. Our pool deck on the 15th floor has actually become a rendezvous place for many guests and residents who enjoy lounging in good company rather than on our their balcony. I hope that you were able to take advantage of that amenity.

Next time you come to Miami, do visit us again and hopefully you will be able to enjoy some new cuisine at Eos and at Cipriani.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!