“Viceroy Hotel Fantastic 4/17/2013” 5 of 5 stars

Relax Longer Save 20%
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Parker
“Viceroy Hotel Fantastic 4/17/2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed in a 1bdr suite over looking the bay (king bed and sofa bed). We had 5 people in our party. (16 & 11 year old). We all slept comfortably and enjoyed the long pool on the 15th floor. ($32 a day Valet were timely and ask for a 10 minute head start call which seemed to work for a Monday). The room was awesome, plenty of space, great views, clean huge marble restrooms, and plenty of natural light. We went on a cruise and this hotel was our post cruise stay for 1 night to see Miami Beach. We were only three miles from the beach. We were treated extremely well from the hotel staff. My family not all are very happy easily but they loved this hotel! $3 for the 3 coffee's we made. Thats not a bad price for a 5 star hotel. Decor was great something different from our own selection had we paid for it but we liked it, it was classy and made of a quality material. No issues to report, I assumed the worst from some reviews I read but didnt tell my family and commented on the postives as I seem them to be different for our stay. I was a happy camper thank you Trip Advisor and to those who leave posts on here.

Colorado

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Darrin L,

We are pleased to see that more families choose to stay at Viceroy Miami. Our one bedroom suites with large sofa beds are the perfect option and happen to offer some of the best Bay and River views. Did you notice that you can even see the Port of Miami and cruise ships from your balcony ?

The décor is so unique and slightly extravagant that it may not always be to everyone’s taste but most of our guests enjoy the bright colors and extra spaces of the guestrooms and suites.
I am glad that you enjoyed our Illy Espresso coffee: I have to admit that I am an avid coffee drinker and strongly believe in maintaining accessible pricing for this high quality product.
We hope to welcome you back soon for a longer stay so that you enjoy a night up at Fifty Ultra Lounge and relax at the Spa!

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Turkish first
Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Viceroy is a gorgeous hotel but the front desk staff were AWFUL.

I booked through Hotwire for a good price and my reservation specifically stated 3 people (2 adults, 1 child).

When we checked in we were given a king room. Luckily we actually used a bellman this time, so he phoned down to the front desk for me. I travel a LOT (34 nights in the past 60), usually in 4 and 5 star hotels, and I can honestly say I have never once experienced the response I got.

Rather than apologizing for putting 3 people in a 1 bed room I was told that I could either pay for a cot $35 or upgrade to a 2 bed room for $50. Since my daughter is tall and we were staying for 3 nights, the 2 bed made sense.

However, I tried everything I could think of to get her to waive the fee but she wouldn't back down because. Eventually, I agreed ... what other choice did I have?

I contacted Hotwire the next day and they called the hotel. They emailed me to say that I should go to the front desk, which I did. I spoke to the same person that Hotwire did and he assured me that the fee would be removed. He just needed to speak to his colleague who put the charges on.

Anyway, on check out the fees were not reversed and I raised a stink. The same guy that I spoke to earlier said that he hadn't agreed to reverse the fees and that after he spoke to his colleague he was told that I was informed of the fees because a two bed room was bigger. WTF!?!

Anyway, I'd had enough and I asked for the manager. The response was cool but she authorized for the fees to be reversed. When I got the revised bill, there was a mini bar charge which I disputed and it was silently removed (meaning he did not say a word, just reversed the charges). However, the next revision of the bill had taxes on it. When I challenged the taxes (because I'd prepaid for room and taxes) he looked at them and said they were for the upgrade. Again, they were reversed without a word spoken. I was not at all impressed.

So... yes, the hotel is gorgeous and luxurious and the beds were perhaps the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in but until they train their front desk staff in common sense and making customers feel appreciated and doing whatever they could to make a great experience, I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carol W,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review on your recent stay with us.

It is always disappointing when this kind of miscommunication happens and I completely understand your frustration.

I can confirm that certain booking details do not translate at all from one reservation system to another: It is a common issue with some specific online booking engines such as Hotwire. The best way to avoid this in the future is to go to the hotel’s website directly or, if Hotwire is your preferred reservation method, I urge you to call or email the hotel directly to inform us of your preferences so that we may anticipate your needs.

Thank you again for the candid feedback and warm regards.

Laurence Dubey,
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is right downtown so if you are looking for easy access to business it s a great spot. It is not on the beach and is a few minute walk to a wide selection of restaurants.

The pool area on the 15th floor is worth a visit. Its not tropical but it is scenic. the suite had a lot of room. I wouldnt even have touched a third living space. The deck didn't actually have any furniture on it, so it also didn't get used much.

Room Tip: The hotel was very quiet overall.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Adrian M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

For a downtown Miami hotel, Viceroy does have quite an impressive infinity pool with very scenic views. Our pool deck on the 15th floor has actually become a rendezvous place for many guests and residents who enjoy lounging in good company rather than on our their balcony. I hope that you were able to take advantage of that amenity.

Next time you come to Miami, do visit us again and hopefully you will be able to enjoy some new cuisine at Eos and at Cipriani.

Woodbridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had an issue with the toilet and they were unable to repair it. After a couple of days they moved us to a "Junior Suite". Their suites are facing the bay. They have a shade made out of bamboo in the bathroom. The manager told us that although you could see out no one could see in. This is not true. During the day is fine but at night you can easily see the guests in the bathroom. The room design was poorly thought out. The location of the TV set makes it difficult to see it from the bed. Not a big deal except if you like to watch TV in bed.
We had read a very bad review but decided to try it because of the reasonable price. It comes with free access to Club 50. It is an OK place but not impressive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Edgar28,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

I am so disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the bay views from our Junior Suites: those rooms are usually very sought after due to their unique layout and panoramic skyline vision of Miami from every angle!

If you do come back, you may want to try to one Bedroom suite instead where you have a little more privacy but still plenty of space: less sexy and more comfy maybe.

I can understand how TV location can be improved and will definitely try the room myself so that I can understand what you are referring to in terms of practicality. I personally do enjoy watching late night TV from the comfort of my bed at home and would like to have the same option when travelling! Allow us to work on that!

Maybe we can convince you to come back and try our Fifty Ultra Lounge next time for a late night cocktail before turning in, that would be the complete Viceroy Miami experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Awesome hotrl. They ha a mercedes benz chaffeur complimentary service within a 5 mile radius!! Loved the shampoo and products. Nice 4 post bed! Cool club on the 50th floor! Only problem is we arrived late on a friday night and it was hectic because of club entrance. Manager had to serve as bellman. Feltl sorry for him.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Fishmeister22,

I am so pleased to read that you loved our Mercedes program! We look forward to have them back next winter !

For your information, the Beverly Hills Brand of products that we use at all Viceroy Hotels and Resorts is called Neil George. I personally love their body lotion and conditioner!
Hopefully you can come back and get to enjoy our Fifty Ultra lounge from the inside next time: it has the best views in the entire city, 50 stories high!

See you again soon!

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was in Miami for a sporting event in January and stayed at the Viceroy for three nights. The South Beach hotels were pretty much sold out, and what was available was way overpriced. The Viceroy wasn't cheap, but for a downtown hotel, it seemed to have a resort feel to it--at least from what I could tell from the pictures on the hotel's website. The hotel itself is part of a larger structure that is combination hotel/condo complex. That means valets park cars in the large garage, and depending on the time of day and the number of valets available, getting your car can involve a wait. I once waited 20 minutes for mine to appear.

The hotel takes a stab at modern Miami chic, and you either like what they've done or you don't. I didn't. The lobby was small and confined--not a real issue--but there was hardly any seating available and the furniture they did have there was way over the top,--a poorly realized attempt to be really cool. Just awful, IMO, but that's just my personal taste. The rest of the décor in the public places--hallways, elevators, etc, fared slightly better, but you do wonder how much they paid for this stuff--and that designer who got all of it in.

The room was very nice, I have to say, with a great comfortable bed and all the nice amenities. The bath was spacious and well designed, although it would have been nice to have a big tub to go with that huge walk-in shower. When it comes down to it, a well-appointed room, a big comfortable bed, a good looking and serviceable bath and HD TV with all the channels you want can dismiss any negative you find in a hotel. And it did.

There was only one restaurant operating at the time I was there. It was fairly casual and extended out to a dining terrace fronting a pool. I had two meals there--both serviceable but nothing special. In January, the outdoor experience wasn't the best, but you can imagine how much nicer it might be during warmer periods. And the pool? Again, I wasn't there at a time when I could have used it, but in the sunny days of summer, the place is designed such that you might expect a bunch of Victoria's Secret models to be hanging out poolside. Unfortunately, at the beginning of January, they weren't.

For a downtown hotel far from the beach, the Viceroy can be an expensive option. But the rooms are great, and I imagine if you looked halfway decent in a bathing suit, hanging out at the beautiful terrace pool with grand views of downtown Miami might persuade you to dish out the extra cash for your stay.

Room Tip: It's a city hotel, so most rooms won't afford much of a view. If you do have one, you'l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear EvenlyOpionionated,

This review gives other travelers a very realistic image of Viceroy Miami. I am glad that you took the time to put it together.

Kelly Wearstler is the designer who created that “modern Miami chic” look that you are referring to. The guestrooms are like no other as they are both very colorful an spacious: no vanilla at Viceroy Miami!

The advantage of being part of a mixed condominium/hotel complex is that all rooms have kitchenettes which are unique features and we also get to take advantage of some outstanding amenities such as the Spa and the largest infinity pool in Florida.

Now that winter is over, we have a few new offers and packages that might be of interest to you for a return visit at very affordable pricing: since you missed the opportunity to enjoy the pool or dining on our alfresco terrace, you should come visit again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Me & my husband stayed here for 6nights for our honeymoon. We were upgraded for free from to a Jr suite. The suite was absolutely amazing with a living area, exceptionally large bath room, four poster bed, small kitchenette & balcony.

We didnt have breakfast in our package however the pool & cafe area had greasy snacks & cocktails. The pool area was very big with three pools and loads of loungers. The pool is on the rooftop & had great views of the city & river.

I would defiantly stay here again as the decor & service was more than 5 star.

• Stayed May 2012
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Congratulations Onourtravel on your wedding and honeymoon!

We are so proud to know that you selected Viceroy Miami for this once in a lifetime trip!

We look forward to welcome you back anytime for some R&R! I also recommend some of our other Caribbean and Mexico hotels for a romantic getaway. My unofficial favorite is the Viceroy Jalousie Plantation in St. Lucia... you should consider it for the next big anniversary !

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!