“Nice hotel, senses overwhelmed!” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #22 of 129 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Nice hotel, senses overwhelmed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is in a good location for downtown Miami. The staff was pleasant, and the room was good size. The bathroom is very big.
My only issue is that all the dark wood took away from a cheery space. And also the decor was all over the place (trying to gain that 'uniqueness' perhaps?). Guess that was the intention.
The hotel pool is rather quite massive and nice. That rooftop space is lovely.
The Brickell neighborhood have lots of nice places to eat and relax!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Vespergirl,

“remember to live” or “memento vivere” is our motto! I love that you titled this review “senses overwhelmed”, mission accomplished for us! No matter what your expectations, we do not want to leave you unmoved when staying at a Viceroy hotel. You are so right about the décor being all over the place: Kelly Wearstler is known for being bold in her colors and design which is very visible in the guestrooms and the Asian infused lobby and restaurant. We are constantly trying to improve on the room’s light and balance and we are working on new sheers to replace the blinds to offset the dark wood.

If you come back this summer, you will have a few new places to eat right on location: one of them is Cipriani ! Thank you for your review.

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Rodney Bay, St Lucia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Urban great comes to mind when I book downtown Miami.at Viceroy. Spa, gym, 200 meter heated rooftop pool, smart Stark designed interiors, amazing bathrooms and cloud-like bedding make for what I consider a good stay. Add to that a superb attentive but non obtrusive staff and you've got yourself a winner at reasonable rates. Menu limited. Setting and location wonderful, aside a waterway...leading to Biscayne Bay watch the boats slide in and out.

Room Tip: Long term guests can save about a third at the hotel's residence tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Pamala_11

Nice wording: thank so much for what seems to be an effortless but right to the point description of your experience at Viceroy Miami.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our Spa, pool and gym are frankly unique and not comparable to any place I have been in Miami: I am spoiled to be able to use those facilities anytime!

I really look forward to welcome you back and by then, our new chef should have launched the new summer menu that will be anything but boring. Looking forward to hear or read your thoughts on that!

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Located at downtown Miami the Viceroy is more a business oriented hotel. Very confortable, large rooms and very good bathroom. The pool, on the 15th floo, is quite impressive though a bit windy and with a lot of shade. Lacking public areas. The location is good if you have a car to drive around as all interesting locations are easy accessible. Compared to South Beach prices are more reasonable, speccialy given the level of confort. Downsize is the very high price of parking (36 us$7day) and no alternatives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear clamg,

Thank you for your review.

“comfortable” is just what I enjoy when I travel away from home: I am glad that enjoyed your visit with us.

Next time, instead of driving in, maybe you can take advantage of our Mercedes Benz complimentary car service which we recently implemented here at Viceroy Miami and which is also available at Viceroy Snowmass.

Downtown Miami has become such a busy city center that parking has become a high commodity: the city did create a new trolley service that allows you to move freely from many restaurants, bars and shops in the area at no cost. I use it all the time, it’s fun!

Come back this summer: the pool deck is less windy during that time and it is the best place to get a tan and enjoy a coconut mojito without getting sand in your face.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My significant other and I wanted to spend a few days in Miami and decided on the Viceroy, largely because of the reputation of their spa. The spa was in fact wonderful, and everything it was hyped up to be. The three rooftop pools were also very nice, and very well heated.

The design of both the hotel and the rooms are definitely garish, but it was the sort of over-the-top look I was seeking out. The pictures on their website are a good representation of what you're going to get.

The staff at the hotel were wonderful - everyone from the concierge to the cashier at the cafe were friendly and helpful, and made us feel welcome. The only trouble we ran into was with the valet. We ended up waiting for *35 minutes* in the lobby for our car to be retrieved, and when it finally was we weren't notified. A helpful concierge eventually got things sorted out, but we were late for our dinner reservations. It was a frustrating experience.

Another problem we had with the hotel involved our room service breakfast. When I called to order I explained some important dietary restrictions we have (there are foods we avoid for moral reasons), and was helpfully told which items we could order that would accommodate those restrictions. When our food came, there were FIVE things on the tray we could not eat, items I had specifically asked them not to include. This wasn't simply a communication issue - the man delivering our breakfast said: "I know you said you didn't want these, but they're here if you do." Huh?

As for the breakfast itself, even though the portions were small we couldn't get through most of it. The fruit wasn't ripe - it was very hard. The oatmeal had been cooked well beyond the point in which it still had any form. My orange juice had bugs in it.

There were bugs. In the orange juice.

I wasn't expecting the breakfast to be great, but considering the bill was $110 I was expecting it to at least be on par with what I could get at the free breakfast buffet at Holiday Inn. That $110, by the way, was for: fruit, oatmeal, side potatoes, juice, one coffee and one tea.

This isn't a bad hotel by any means, but the problems it has are enough to keep us from coming back, or recommending the Viceroy to anyone visiting the area. There's just too many other hotels, ones that don't have these problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Notmyatombomb,

Thank you for the very detailed review. I am very pleased to hear that my team was “friendly” and “helpful”: we are hosts, first and always and our job is to make you feel welcome and at home.

The valet company servicing the Icon Brickell complex is actually the best in town and they are continuously working on how to improve wait times for car delivery: space is so scarce for everyone on Brickell that we all have to become more inventive with this process but I am glad to report that overall a great improvement has been seen by many of our guests. Next time, maybe you can take advantage of our fantastic partnership with Mercedes Benz and enjoy complimentary transfers instead of driving your own car!

I am perplexed by how we let you down for breakfast: I do personally understand how frustrating it must have been for a simple meal - which is so important to start you off well for the day – to not be flawlessly delivered. I just re-launched our own in house testing of in room dining delivery so that we do not lose sight of our standards.

Hopefully we can we entice you to try us again: we have a new Chef starting and the summer menu that we are working on is quite creative and priced very reasonably.

Rye, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Viceroy usually is soild expereince- the downtown location in Miami needs some TLC- dont get me wrong the people are awesome and they even gave me an upgrade but the rooms need some updating- the blinds were awful, the balcony was nice but super noisey and had no furniture. The carpeting and overall decor is redy for some upgrades. I would say not a bad stay but for the money they have to deliver.

Room Tip: ask for room on river side not on busy avenue side
Dear JdsRye,

Thank you for your feedback and for your obvious patronage of Viceroy Hotels and Resorts!

We have been focusing a lot on continued improvement in our service by hiring new upbeat and friendly team members, eager to please our guests and anticipating their every need: it seems that this is moving in the right direction from what you are sharing with us.

TLC is definitely something that we will be dispensing more of this summer as the end of high season allows us to breathe a little – especially after Winter Music Conference “what a fantastic event by the way”: we have a lot of nice projects and upgrades coming up for the rest of this year to enhance our guestrooms –starting with the replacement of the blinds with beautiful sheers - that you will be pleased to see when you get back to Miami.

Do let me know if I can personally assist you with your reservation in the future so that I may select your room!

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Viceroy for a company event and after reading some of the previous reviews I have to say I was positively surprised by the service level.

I requested an early check-in and when I arrived at 9:00am the room was already available. Also requested a late check-out and got it very easily. Both processes were also quite quick.
Minor issues were that part of the food I ordered from room service was missing but was quickly brought and that when I requested a harder pillow I only got another one exactly as the ones I already had.

The weather didn't invite to use the swimming pool and didn't have enough time to go to the spa/gym but both looked good. Note: these facilities are not "in" the hotel and are shared with the residents of the apartments in the complex.

A breakfast buffet was arranged for the event which was quite convenient because the other only option was the breakfast menu, which although had variety, consisted of very big dishes and was not cheap.

Very close to Miami South Av where you have different restaurants and bars. And a taxi to Ocean Drive will cost you ca. USD20.

- Highlight: the Mercedes Benz Experience. First day, while we were looking for a taxi, the lady at the MB stand offered us a ride to Miami Beach and on our last day they offered to take us to the airport. Top marks.

The valet parking keeps being slow and disorganized.
The decoration is unusual, especially if you expect a business-type hotel.

All in all, a very good recommendable hotel but not 5 stars.

Dear Sebiel,

Thank you for your detailed review.

I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of our great partnership with Mercedes Benz a few times during your stay. This is one of the newer services that we have been trying out in response to all the many suggestions that we receive throughout the year.

How nice to hear that our housekeeping team was able to offer you both an early check in and a late check out: we have such demand that our high occupancy does not always allow us to offer this to all of our guests. The Kelley Wearstler designed guestrooms are definitely not common and we aim to provide a boutique stylish environment for everyone, even business travelers who should also have that choice in a downtown location, would you agree?

Our valet team has been hugely busy this month and I will review with them how we can continue to improve the flow of car delivery during high demand periods.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back maybe this summer, in time to try our new Eos menu!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just a quick overnight stay in between Ft. Myers to Turks & Caicos but this hotel is lovely! Found a great deal on Expedia while traveling across alligator alley & booked it. View was fabulous! Late-nite room service was delicious & the mini bar was well-stocked! Super friendly staff & comfy bed too! Did I mention the view?!?! Can't wait to come back! Thank u :)

• Stayed July 2012
Dear BeyondDallas,

Thank you for your kind words! I am so pleased that we made a strong impression on you in just 24 hours. You just have to make it a longer stop over next time you head off to the Caribbean and enjoy the day time views from our gigantic infinity pool on the 15th floor. If you are a Florida Resident, do visit our website and you will find that we have very competitive packages for the upcoming summer season: I promise that the minibar will still be well stocked with new fun products by then !

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!