“miami the new south beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Relax Longer Save 20%
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gainesville, Virginia
“miami the new south beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have always stayed in SB for years. I stayed at The Viceroy because I wanted to get out of Va spur of the moment and it was a getaway on the Marriott Getaway page. We stayed in the 2 bedroom unit. UNBELIEVABLE VIEW IN ROOM 1910! THE
most amazing views of any place I have ever stayed from every room! The room was all white clean, the only negative was the water temp for the showers. LUKE WARM AT BEST, had maintenance there 3 times. They never could fix it. So I took a bath everyday for hot water. Other than that the service was great, when I called they came to sweep change sheets etc. The pool is heated and amazing and once again the views! Food was great service a tad slow. The only real pain was if you want to leave to go to SB it's 20 to 25 one way cab. I play tennis and found a turf rooftop courts 8 blocks away at The conrad. Only 2 but with a good pro. If you want more tennis Flammingo Park is a 20 cab ride and brand new tons of clay with clinics and lots of pros. To name one that I use regularly, Hector he is wonderful and graet with kids! While at the Viceroy go to EPIC AND EAT AT ZUMA!!! AMAZING JAP FOOD! I will be back to THE VICEROY!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear dheat15928:

It sounds as though you stayed in one of our long term stay residences that we manage. These are really TUI furnished…nice clean lines with a “Miami” look. I made a note with our engineering team to see what is going on with the water heater element in that unit. Thank you for letting me know.

I’m so glad that you enjoyed Viceroy Miami. Next time you’re here, try EOS on our fifteenth floor. We’re evolving the menu concept in there and have come up with some really unique dishes. The sunset on the patio is a perfect place for that end of day glass of wine too!

See you next time!

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Turkish first
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We initially booked out first holidays in Miami at the viceroy. Unfortunately we have never been to Miami before and thought the hotel was well located. It is in business area and therefore not much is happening at night and not many restaurant at walking distance. So moved hotel in the following day. However the Viceroy is a beautiful hotel, we had s wonderful suite and a great spa area. So if you are looking for something downtown, we would recommend it. For holiday... Well hit Miami beach!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Pascal G:

We simply must talk the next time you are looking at Miami. We have dozens of great restaurants – all within walking distance of the hotel. Mary Brickell Village is our most popular spot with shopping and dining options galore. Our concierge team would be happy to direct you to the perfect experience.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I thought that this hotel was great. The bed in my room was so comfortable I didn't want to leave. The food was great all around the hotel. The pools were amazing. I think my only problem was the valet and how long they took to bring my car. And since there is no way to call valet directly from the room, you call the concierge and get a "yea, I'll notify them so your car can be ready" but the valet people don't even know what you're talking about when you go downstairs. This communication issue drove me nuts. B overall, I have to say this hotel is one of the best in Miami for the money. Once again, I can't stress how comfortable the bed is!

Dear Ahernandez04:

I’m taking your comment and walking it out to valet today. Our valet service has vastly improved but I want things consistent. I appreciate you letting us know this.

The beds here are fantastic. In fact, a little hard to get out of in the morning! I am glad you enjoyed them as well.

Oldsmar, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Viceroy for two nights. First off the rooms are very nice. Quite spacious, well laid out, and nicely furnished. Very large bathroom with good towels and quite a comfortable, canopy style bed. The television system had a ton of channels and a great menu/guide. The 3 elevators worked quickly to service the 15 floors if the hotel.
The service was not quite up to par. I arrived early and understood when my room was not ready. They took my number and said they would call when it was ready which was fine as I had meetings. At 5:30 pm I had not received a call. When I got to the desk they said my voicemail was not working but I had several calls and voicemails I had received in that same time...oh well. The entire staff seemed as if they didn't care if you were there or not. No one I ran into at the hotel was very friendly or seemed happy to have me as a guest. At over $300 a night you figure they would at least show appreciation you chose to stay there?
The mini bar was a big disappointment. It was well stocked but since when did hotels start charging a dollar for in room coffee or tea you have to make yourself? If you did not read the mini bar pricing you would not notice this as the coffee pods are readily available...but each pod that makes one cup cost a dollar each...wow...that is being cheap! No newspaper at my door? No USA Today to be found...cheap!
If there is not a meeting going on they have a nice club/pool on the 50th floor of the adjoining building that offers a pretty good view. The Eos restaurant is not all that great so I would seek out a better local venue for dining.
Overall a very nice place with a few issues to address and it could become a top notch location...I would possibly stay there again...but they need to pay attention to the small things!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear dleslievol:

Thank you so much for your feedback. It sounds as though we didn’t quite meet your expectations. I’m reviewing with my front office team. You have some very good points. I have been actually pleased by my new team as they are some of the friendliest that I have worked with. I am so disappointed that you didn’t see this.

I certainly do not want the reputation of being “cheap”. Providing value to our guests is one of my personal missions. I made the decision to use our current coffee product because it’s one of the finest in the industry. It also alleviates having to order coffee service through In-Room Dining (which is a standard with some of our competitors). I find that to be a little cheap myself. I’m taking your comment about our pricing into consideration.

I do hope that you give us another opportunity to show you what we’re really made of. I think we can exceed your expectations next time.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on business. The hotel is easy to find and easy to get to from the freeway. The downtown location means it is not the busiest most happening area, but there are stores and restaurants within a walkable distance.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and I encountered no problems with the valet parking or check in. Valet parking is about $32 a night, which isn't cheap but other parking options around here are limited.

The king room was a decent size, nicely furnished with stylish and interesting touches, and a huge bathroom. The bed was comfortable and sleep was relatively peaceful. There was a wedding party in the hotel and some were quite noisy as they went along the corridor but once they had gone there was nothing that disturbed sleep.

The pool area on the 15th floor is very nice, with a large and lovely infinity pool. There is also a spa but I didn't try its facilities.

I arranged a late checkout yet was still called just after midday to remind my to check out, but this was a minor issue in an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear RichardC63:

It sounds, for the most part, that you had an enjoyable stay. I do understand the parking prices. Miami is a “valet parking city with city pricing” I’m afraid. We do offer complimentary Mercedes sedans that help get our guests around town. This may be a good option for your next stay with us.

Please do try us again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me but I was very impressed. I found the staff friendly and helpful and the facilities well managed and of a very good standard. The location on Brickell was superb, whether you are in the city as a tourist or on business, you cannot beat this location. We were here for a night before a cruise and it was only a short 10 minute taxi-ride to the cruise terminal. The hotel is also easy walking distance to restaurants and nightlife and being in downtown Miami, if you're not driving, finding a taxi is no issue. We used the hotel restaurant which had great food and also made use of the hotel's 3 rooftop pools. If you're a swimmer you'll love the extra-long pool for keeping fit, if you're a sun lounger, you cannot beat the view from the rooftop terrace either.

Room Tip: If you can find a room on the canal-facing side of the hotel you're likely to have the best view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NickP:

Thank you for your review! I’m glad that the word is out to our cruise guests that we’re a good option when shipping out of the Port of Miami.

You are correct about our pool. It is fantastic. I’m finding more and more of our guests arriving with swim goggles just so they can get a swim in while they are here. It’s the longest infinity pool in Florida!

Please look at us again the next time you are cruising out of Miami. We’d love to have you for a few more days next time!

Neptune Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great experience at the Viceroy Miami. Room was exceptional, clean with plenty of space. It was a corner room and even the bathroom had a view of the bay. The room lead out onto a balcony that overlook Brickell Ave. with a view of both the river and the bay. Service was phenomenal; we had in-room breakfast in the morning that was supremely delicious. Will return without a doubt.

Dearjkelch87:

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! You’re correct. The rooms are really spacious for a city hotel. Kelly Wearstler really put a lot of thought into the design. They set us apart from the rest of the hotels in downtown.

I see you are from Neptune Beach. We have an excellent Florida resident discount that we’ll be running late spring through summer. I hope you can take advantage of it and come back and see us.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!