“Beautiful hotel but not for holidays” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southampton
“Beautiful hotel but not for holidays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We initially booked out first holidays in Miami at the viceroy. Unfortunately we have never been to Miami before and thought the hotel was well located. It is in business area and therefore not much is happening at night and not many restaurant at walking distance. So moved hotel in the following day. However the Viceroy is a beautiful hotel, we had s wonderful suite and a great spa area. So if you are looking for something downtown, we would recommend it. For holiday... Well hit Miami beach!

• Stayed February 2013
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Pascal G:

We simply must talk the next time you are looking at Miami. We have dozens of great restaurants – all within walking distance of the hotel. Mary Brickell Village is our most popular spot with shopping and dining options galore. Our concierge team would be happy to direct you to the perfect experience.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I thought that this hotel was great. The bed in my room was so comfortable I didn't want to leave. The food was great all around the hotel. The pools were amazing. I think my only problem was the valet and how long they took to bring my car. And since there is no way to call valet directly from the room, you call the concierge and get a "yea, I'll notify them so your car can be ready" but the valet people don't even know what you're talking about when you go downstairs. This communication issue drove me nuts. B overall, I have to say this hotel is one of the best in Miami for the money. Once again, I can't stress how comfortable the bed is!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ahernandez04:

I’m taking your comment and walking it out to valet today. Our valet service has vastly improved but I want things consistent. I appreciate you letting us know this.

The beds here are fantastic. In fact, a little hard to get out of in the morning! I am glad you enjoyed them as well.

Oldsmar, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Viceroy for two nights. First off the rooms are very nice. Quite spacious, well laid out, and nicely furnished. Very large bathroom with good towels and quite a comfortable, canopy style bed. The television system had a ton of channels and a great menu/guide. The 3 elevators worked quickly to service the 15 floors if the hotel.
The service was not quite up to par. I arrived early and understood when my room was not ready. They took my number and said they would call when it was ready which was fine as I had meetings. At 5:30 pm I had not received a call. When I got to the desk they said my voicemail was not working but I had several calls and voicemails I had received in that same time...oh well. The entire staff seemed as if they didn't care if you were there or not. No one I ran into at the hotel was very friendly or seemed happy to have me as a guest. At over $300 a night you figure they would at least show appreciation you chose to stay there?
The mini bar was a big disappointment. It was well stocked but since when did hotels start charging a dollar for in room coffee or tea you have to make yourself? If you did not read the mini bar pricing you would not notice this as the coffee pods are readily available...but each pod that makes one cup cost a dollar each...wow...that is being cheap! No newspaper at my door? No USA Today to be found...cheap!
If there is not a meeting going on they have a nice club/pool on the 50th floor of the adjoining building that offers a pretty good view. The Eos restaurant is not all that great so I would seek out a better local venue for dining.
Overall a very nice place with a few issues to address and it could become a top notch location...I would possibly stay there again...but they need to pay attention to the small things!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear dleslievol:

Thank you so much for your feedback. It sounds as though we didn’t quite meet your expectations. I’m reviewing with my front office team. You have some very good points. I have been actually pleased by my new team as they are some of the friendliest that I have worked with. I am so disappointed that you didn’t see this.

I certainly do not want the reputation of being “cheap”. Providing value to our guests is one of my personal missions. I made the decision to use our current coffee product because it’s one of the finest in the industry. It also alleviates having to order coffee service through In-Room Dining (which is a standard with some of our competitors). I find that to be a little cheap myself. I’m taking your comment about our pricing into consideration.

I do hope that you give us another opportunity to show you what we’re really made of. I think we can exceed your expectations next time.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on business. The hotel is easy to find and easy to get to from the freeway. The downtown location means it is not the busiest most happening area, but there are stores and restaurants within a walkable distance.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and I encountered no problems with the valet parking or check in. Valet parking is about $32 a night, which isn't cheap but other parking options around here are limited.

The king room was a decent size, nicely furnished with stylish and interesting touches, and a huge bathroom. The bed was comfortable and sleep was relatively peaceful. There was a wedding party in the hotel and some were quite noisy as they went along the corridor but once they had gone there was nothing that disturbed sleep.

The pool area on the 15th floor is very nice, with a large and lovely infinity pool. There is also a spa but I didn't try its facilities.

I arranged a late checkout yet was still called just after midday to remind my to check out, but this was a minor issue in an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear RichardC63:

It sounds, for the most part, that you had an enjoyable stay. I do understand the parking prices. Miami is a “valet parking city with city pricing” I’m afraid. We do offer complimentary Mercedes sedans that help get our guests around town. This may be a good option for your next stay with us.

Please do try us again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me but I was very impressed. I found the staff friendly and helpful and the facilities well managed and of a very good standard. The location on Brickell was superb, whether you are in the city as a tourist or on business, you cannot beat this location. We were here for a night before a cruise and it was only a short 10 minute taxi-ride to the cruise terminal. The hotel is also easy walking distance to restaurants and nightlife and being in downtown Miami, if you're not driving, finding a taxi is no issue. We used the hotel restaurant which had great food and also made use of the hotel's 3 rooftop pools. If you're a swimmer you'll love the extra-long pool for keeping fit, if you're a sun lounger, you cannot beat the view from the rooftop terrace either.

Room Tip: If you can find a room on the canal-facing side of the hotel you're likely to have the best view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NickP:

Thank you for your review! I’m glad that the word is out to our cruise guests that we’re a good option when shipping out of the Port of Miami.

You are correct about our pool. It is fantastic. I’m finding more and more of our guests arriving with swim goggles just so they can get a swim in while they are here. It’s the longest infinity pool in Florida!

Please look at us again the next time you are cruising out of Miami. We’d love to have you for a few more days next time!

Neptune Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great experience at the Viceroy Miami. Room was exceptional, clean with plenty of space. It was a corner room and even the bathroom had a view of the bay. The room lead out onto a balcony that overlook Brickell Ave. with a view of both the river and the bay. Service was phenomenal; we had in-room breakfast in the morning that was supremely delicious. Will return without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dearjkelch87:

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! You’re correct. The rooms are really spacious for a city hotel. Kelly Wearstler really put a lot of thought into the design. They set us apart from the rest of the hotels in downtown.

I see you are from Neptune Beach. We have an excellent Florida resident discount that we’ll be running late spring through summer. I hope you can take advantage of it and come back and see us.

san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a comfortable, well run hotel with several major flaws. The flaws have nothing todo with management or service and everything to do with design. Rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Service is accommodating and professional. The fitness center is one of the best i have seen and the spa looks beautiful.

The hotel is convenient to Brickell Ave. and downtown, and is a short easy ride to south beach.

The problem is the hotel layout. The most glaring problem is the lack of public space, such as a lobby and lobby bar. There is literally no place to socialize or conduct informal business meetings, other than the pool or a very small bar at the restaurant.the pool is beautiful, but there is no shade (other than building shadows) and no umbrellas.

It's a shame, since the staff really does a great job. I would highly recommend the hotel because of this, but it does have its limitations.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear plectical:

Fair statement. Thank you. Viceroy Miami is very much a “style hotel” so it’s layout is quite different from larger convention hotels. Being a hotelier my whole career, I have to say that I’ve never run a hotel that was structurally perfect in every way. I’m convinced that it’s because developers don’t want my advice because I would triple the cost of the building if I had my way! My concern is 100% focused on the guest experience.

On that note, what I do have control over is the service and it sounds like we got that one right with your stay. Excellent to hear! I hope that you get the chance to make the trek back here from California soon.

Until then…

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!