“Amazing pool, great views” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #23 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oregon
“Amazing pool, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in Brickell area, lots of things to do around. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with nice views if you get a high floor. It shares public areas with some the residences but are big enough, pool is amazing as well as jacuzzi and gym.
Restaurant is very nice with a terrace overlooking the pool.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear MEM22:

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Viceroy Miami. Oregon is still pretty chilly so plan another trip and come see us again.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Turkish first
dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Got a room at the Viceroy via priceline.com, and was very impressed. Great pool, rooms are fantastic. Nice location.

The club in the hotel seemed to be a very popular place, but we didn't get a chance to visit. However, there was a huge line to get in about 11 pm. Regardless, this caused no problems with our stay and the noise factor was not even noticeable.

The hotel is very modern with all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The fact that we got such a great rate using price line made it very affordable, and the bang for the buck factor was excellent!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear marsmadness:

I’m so glad your stay went well. That line you saw was the entrance to FIFTY Ultra Lounge. It’s one of downtown Miami’s hottest nightlife venues. Amazing views.

However, I absolutely associate with having a quiet evening when I arrive late. I’m glad that you could escape the city and enjoy your room.

Please come back and see us!

Broadway, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

stayed there whilst working in miami for a week. in downtown miami (not by the beach), usual but creative decor, large rooms (they have been small apartments and the hotel is in an apartment complex, but separate), big bathrooms and the swimming pool is fantastic/very long with a spectacular view from a stunning pool area. we really enjoyed our stay. try the crab and fish restaurant down the road.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear onpiste:

I’m fine with “unusual”. Thank you for that! I’m going to add “unique” and “not your ordinary downtown property” so my marketing director doesn’t yell at me. Viceroy Miami is a great mix of design and comfort which is needed in the city.

The crab and fish restaurant you mentioned is Truluck’s…one of several top notch branded fine dining restaurants on the street. However, you know I’m going to be biased on this. We’re in the final stages of a new menu concept in EOS (on our fifteenth floor). I hope you can return and try some of the new sharing plates that our executive chef has created. The view is excellent and all you need to do is step out of your elevator!

See you again soon, I hope.

Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Great location and hotel for a weekend away for hubby's birthday weekend. Staff just lovely, free Mercedes Benz service nicely done. Front desk staff very nice and Albert at the bar very helpful, gave great suggestion on restaurants etc. Easy location to get to other area and there are lovely restaurants and bars close by. Will definitely be back, felt very welcomed.

Rooms are spacious, clean and have nice views. Bathrooms huge:) little extras very nice and bed very comfortable. Fridge useful for snacks etc.

Go over to Brickell Village, nice restaurants and just a fun place.

Good job.

Room Tip: Room 1111 has city view and a bit of a water view. Live on an island so water view not important. Ni...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DMustang72:

I’m so glad that you had fun with us. Please give your husband a belated birthday wish from Viceroy Miami. Albert at the bar is quite a character. Of course every good bar has a better bar tender.

Mary Brickell Village is definitely the best spot I can suggest when leaving the hotel to shop or dine out. We’re located very close and the Mercedes is ready to go!

Come back for another birthday weekend!

Hillsboro Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying we are South Florida locals that were staying in Miami for the ING Marathon. We have stayed in NUMEROUS properties in the Downtown/SOBE area over the years, including the Viceroy. We chose the Viceroy due to the fact it is a newer property (less chance to end up with a real run down room) and its proximity from the start/finish line of the event. This was our second visit. Our first visit was right after it opened and the staff was still on their game. This time, not so much. Where the hotel completely fails is hospitality. Due to the set up of the property there is no real lobby, it is just a check-in area. Unfortunately that is how it is treated. The front desk staff are cold, completely lack engagement and by and large demonstrate no welcoming attitude what-so-ever. I booked through the ING Marathon for the room at a somewhat reduced rate of $345 which was supposed to include use of the spa facilities. No acknowledgment of the package or attempt to welcome us to the property for the race were made at check-in. The agent barely made eye contact and rushed hurriedly through the motions of check-in. "Is this your first time to the property?" Our response, "No, it is our second". Her response, "Wellinthatcaseletmebethefirsttowelcomeyouback." Hurried, spoken as if all one word, not a smile, not even looking up. Bear in mind, there was no one else waiting for service during this period of time. In a City with SO MANY wonderful lodging options, the hotel makes no attempt at endearing themselves to their guests. Additionally, we exited and entered the hotel 4 times. There was no greeting upon entering and exiting the hotel, despite the fact the front desk is about 12 feet from the front entry door. I literally hobbled in, after the race, sweaty, with a medal around my neck to find two (maybe three) front desk staff talking amongst themselves. Would it have been to hard for them to look up, say "Welcome back" or even "Congratulations"? Don't take this the wrong way. We are not needy and could care less about recognition for the race...it was the complete lack of hospitality for what is supposed to be a high end property that completely dumbfounded us. I would gladly pay twice the rate we paid to stay at a property that treats their guests as actual guests. That being said, the Viceroy is an "acceptable property". The rooms were clean and fairly well appointed. The furnishings were acceptable with the exception of broken blinds in the room. However, I could have gone to any base level Marriott or Hilton for an "acceptable property" and paid half the price. Guests at a property of this level are willing to pay more for the "experience"....of which there was none at the Viceroy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear SunnyWineBunny:

I am very discouraged after reading your review. First, I really wish I could have been there to congratulate you myself. Finishing the ING Marathon is quite an accomplishment. I’ve met with my front desk team and reviewed your comments with them. I think we’re all disappointed but I believe that we are also committed to do better. Sometimes, although hard to hear, these kinds of reviews are necessary. I appreciate you candid feedback. Please do give us another try next year if you decide to run again. I think you will see a marked improvement.

Epping, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is very modern and posh, awesome pool,on the roof and big hot tub, they have a great conceierge service here. For Miami this is a nice place for the price, we were able to stay here for about 2k for the week instead of the normal price which is at least double that.Stay here you won't be dissapointed. Just remeber Miami is NOT cheap but it has beautiful women every where and the night life is great, check it out !!!!!!

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roger M:

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a lady myself, I’m not one to judge the women in Miami but I am glad that you approve of the residents in our city!

Please come back and see us. I hear there’s a bit of snow in New Hampshire right now. It’s never too soon to make a return trip.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Miami once a month and my usual room at the Mandarin was not available other than at a big price increase so I thought I'd try the Viceroy. I liked the physical property very much -- the rooms, the decor, the restaurants, the gym in the adjoining condos, the pools, etc. -- but the overall service and little touches are just not at the level of a top notch 5-star hotel. (1) When I checked in I found a pair of used men's bikini underwear in my room; (2) my bathroom smelled like someone had been smoking in there (a non-smoking room); (3) for most of my stay, the smell of garbage permiated the hallways on my floor 50 feet either side of the stairway and service elevator; and (4) worst of all for a business traveler in a rental car and with appointments, the valets at this property are awful. Even if you call down for your car they've never heard of it when you get downstairs and then when you ask them (if you can get their attention) they all yell at each other like it's the first time anyone has asked for a car. It's also hard to get their attention when you return to the property and need them to take your car back. I am used to valets greeting you when you arrive. Here I had to wait at my car until I could yell at someone to come over. The whole operation seems set up to service guests of the restaurant and other public spaces, not hotel guests. (They color code the valet tickets. If you have a white one -- hotel guest -- they seem to not care very much.). If you have no car and are not that picky, it's a lovely property. If I can get my corporate rate back at the Mandarin up the street, however, I will stick w/ that.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear jdse20,

Thank you for your review. Where do I begin? I think it is best to number my responses as well so I don’t miss any points:
1) Apparently, we have a guest traveling back home without his under garments intact. Unfortunate for him. Extremely unfortunate for us. I apologize that this was missed in housekeeping. We inspect every one of our rooms after they have been cleaned to prevent such things from occurring. I would be extremely put off as well. I have met with my housekeeping director on this.
2) I smelled the same exact thing when I walked into your room. This was called to my attention as well. I take this very seriously as we are a non-smoking hotel. Unfortunately, the previous guest had come and gone before we could make the appropriate charge for aerating the room. However, if I’m going to spend money on room standards, having my rooms smoke free is imperative. I walked that room again recently and can report it smells like it should.
3) The smell in the hallway has been completely rectified. This is a more involved explanation which involves air induction. My chief engineer, however, has solved the challenge. He is worth every penny. I have inspected that hallway as well. Problem is solved.
4) Our valet team has its good days and then, well, it has its bad days. Unfortunately, we have to outsource valet parking like many of the hotels in Miami. They simply won’t let me park the cars myself. I am working to improve their service standards and I think I’m making headway.

My final comment, I won’t number. That is simply…sorry. I apologize for the series of difficulties you experienced with us here at Viceroy Miami. You have my personal commitment that you got my attention and I listen. This is how we get better. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!